British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Today I ate my first feijoa. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/today-i-ate-my-first-feijoa-875684/)

Clappy Apr 10th 2016 12:23 am

Today I ate my first feijoa.

I am underwhelmed.

In the past I have avoided them because the enthusiasm that I have always seen the locals display towards them has made me suspicious.

I think that I might have been right all along.

My wife (who is a kiwi) insisted that we must plant a feijoa tree and says that the ones from our tree are not quite ripe enough yet but this now sounds like a hollow excuse.

I put this thread in the sheep-dip because I realise that this is a subject that can prompt a wide spectrum of opinions. It is all subjective anyway. ;)

Kotare Apr 10th 2016 12:29 am

Re: Today I ate my first feijoa.

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 11918476)
I am underwhelmed.

In the past I have avoided them because the enthusiasm that I have always seen the locals display towards them has made me suspicious.

I think that I might have been right all along.

My wife (who is a kiwi) insisted that we must plant a feijoa tree and says that the ones from our tree are not quite ripe enough yet but this now sounds like a hollow excuse.

I put this thread in the sheep-dip because I realise that this is a subject that can prompt a wide spectrum of opinions. It is all subjective anyway. ;)

Now eat a Tamarillo (tree tomato)

MrsFychan Apr 10th 2016 2:10 am

MrF loves them, I personally don't like eating germolene so steer well clear.

Bo-Jangles Apr 10th 2016 2:27 am

They are a bit like Marmite, you either love them or loathe them. :rofl:

I despise them and find that it takes a certain constitution to like them. i.e. having been born here does seem to be a deciding factor. I despise them but possibly also a little bit of knowing when they are right to eat would help.

Like Bananas, Avocados and Kiwifruit you have a period of about four hours in their life cycle when they are perfect for eating - if they go one minute before or one minute past their peak they are vile. :rofl:

jmh Apr 10th 2016 3:35 am

I love them, but that might be because we had them as children. I tend to wait until they fall from the tree to eat them, otherwise you risk getting one that isn't ripe. I can see how they might be an acquired taste.

MrsFychan Apr 10th 2016 6:43 am

MrF saw a lady on the train eat the whole thing, skin and all. just No or is that how you are supposed to eat them?

BEVS Apr 10th 2016 6:54 am

• They are not ripe until they fall from the bush.
  • Eat them whole .
  • Do not eat more than strictly necessary as they are known to - ahem - act as a laxative. :unsure:
  • I tried to bottle them with vanilla essence once but they were still 'orrible.
  • Locals hereabouts steep them in vodka for a year & then pop them down like jelly beans.

Charismatic Apr 10th 2016 7:08 am

Eat the whole thing? I've always sucked the middle out.

BEVS Apr 10th 2016 7:13 am

Mr BEVS states he also just sucks the middle out.

However not to go near the things if one is into jogging.

Snap Shot Apr 10th 2016 9:43 am

They've got a vanilla sweetness and a citrus kinda, 'tang' for want of a better description.

We've got a feijoa tree here in our back garden. I just pick the feijoas off the lawn when they fall & wonder what to do with them because I don't like them.

I'll ask my husband to take them to work so people who do like them can help themselves.

Same deal with the quince pears that we have. I saw a recipe for them once: boil them for 2 hours, then roast for 3 hours. That's a lot of aggravation for something I don't even like.

Justcol Apr 10th 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11918508)

Feijoa, tamarillo bloody awful. Mrs justcol (the new kiwi version) insists on eating them by the sack load
and takes any negative comment from me as a slanderous attack against the whole of kiwidom

Germalene bloody lovely (not to eat) just the smell alone instantly whisks me back to my childhood
and a thousand scuffed knees, scrawped elbows and kiss it betters from my mum

BEVS Apr 10th 2016 10:14 am

Germalene ! That's it. That is exactly it!

Forget Tamarillos . Bleurgh. Quince? Why would you.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 10th 2016 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11918508)

Was reading this thread out to Mr Big Sticks yesterday and he thought this was the best description of eating feijoas.

Our neighbours planted a feijoa tree on the boarder of our garden and now we've got loads of the damn things on our lawn. Neither of us can stand the things.

nikkijane88 Apr 11th 2016 9:12 am

Eating the whole thing... Basically what I'll do with kiwi fruits 😂😂

Clappy Apr 14th 2016 7:48 am

A few are falling off the tree every day now so I have persisted with trying them.

Sometimes (not all the time) the taste reminds me of cheap confectionery - the stuff that you think might should be bubblegum but can't be because it is too stiff.

What I can say so far is that I don't hate them although there is a long way to go before I start singing their praises.