Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Titirangi - Manukau Commute

Titirangi - Manukau Commute

Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Telwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Titirangi - Manukau Commute

Hi, first time poster but have been a lurker for some time. My wife and I have been flirting with the idea of a move to NZ for longer than I care to remember. I've been lucky enough to have had several job offers but always found a reason for not accepting. Anyhow, the kids are now at an age (3 1/2 and 2) that its now or never. I have a possible job opportunity in Manukau Central but have always been attracted to Titirangi as a place to live (native bush and all). Is this commute, I guess over the Mangere Bridge, feasible - that is will I keep my sanity ?(happy to do up to 45min). Suggestions on areas to live in Manukau also welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Titirangi - Manukau Commute

ouchhh....

used to do this drive myself!!!! for 2 years.

very ouch!!!
first hurdle you will hit is actually geting out of titirangi if you live on the far side of the village, ...one road in one road out kinda place. Blockhouse bay (very long cues at round about..(but there is a short cut to get around this)
then you have hillsborough road...UHHH do you like going slow?
mototway used to be ok when you get there well unless there was no accidents...
45 mins??? UMMMM maybe as long as you not in peak times...
I used to have to be at work at 8.15am and I used to leave home at 7.30pm. I would leave Manukau at 6pm and would be lucky to get home at 6.45pm.

When considering remember its not like driving 45mins on a open road, you are sitting in traffic doing 20kmph if your lucky.

When looking for somewhere to buy in Titirangi it is really important that you consider which side of the hill your house is on, and how much bush is directly around your house, make sure you will see the sun in the winter. Its is always about 2 degrees colder up there than it is in centeral Auckland.

Hope this doesn't come across too negative...but it is a sh*t of a drive!!!! But hey I did it for 2 years!!!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry missed the bit about 1st time poster....

WELCOME

Ummm trying to think of some positives now.....
Titirangi is pretty and a destination for lots of people on a Sunday morning to have breckie or brunch...(which also causes bad cues!!!)
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:28 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed with above, however everyone that lives in Titirangi will most likely be commuting somewhere, we considered the move over there with a commute into the CBD, decided not too for many reasons in the end, but I think most westies out there have around an hours commute to get to work! It is a beautiful place though.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:31 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid just title of your thread was enough to make my jaw drop. As beautiful as Titirangi is, you'd quickly tire of that commute. There are some nice areas south of Manakau - in the Franklin district (and a lot cheaper too) that you might have a look at.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Telwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks, feared that it might be too much. Will have to look at alternatives.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Its nice out this way and easy drive to Manukau from here. Look up Beachlands and Maraetai on the map. Ive been here 2 years in June, I will try to help if youve got any questions.