Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tips on building or buying property in Pukekohe?

Tips on building or buying property in Pukekohe?

Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:08 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips on building or buying property in Pukekohe?

I am close to accepting an offer on my London property (yah for bubbles!) and am considering Pukekohe as an area to buy a house or section.

My main criteria is peace and quiet, plus I need to go up SH1 to Mt Wellington fairly regularly so I'm thinking North or East Puke. I'm happy to consider rural options and don't need to consider schools.

Possible budget around $250,000 for a section, $550,000 for house.

Any suggestions on good areas to look at?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on building or buying property in Pukekohe?

Originally Posted by jmh
I am close to accepting an offer on my London property (yah for bubbles!) and am considering Pukekohe as an area to buy a house or section.

My main criteria is peace and quiet, plus I need to go up SH1 to Mt Wellington fairly regularly so I'm thinking North or East Puke. I'm happy to consider rural options and don't need to consider schools.

Possible budget around $250,000 for a section, $550,000 for house.

Any suggestions on good areas to look at?
They are building new places in Patumahoe - which had a great country road from Puke and is rural (with a central pub). Although $550,000 will get you a basic house for that.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have only been to Pukekohe a couple of times so cant really comment on areas. If you are after a quieter/country lifestyle Waiuku is just down the road. Your budget would get you in a nice area of Waiuku.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2232183
There is also a house close by for 409k.

Last edited by westie1234; Apr 11th 2014 at 1:56 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:21 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
They are building new places in Patumahoe - which had a great country road from Puke and is rural (with a central pub). Although $550,000 will get you a basic house for that.
I only need a 3 bed house and they are pretty affordable down this way. The higher priced ones are large 4+ beds with lifestyle blocks.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:23 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by westie1234
Have only been to Pukekohe a couple of times so cant really comment on areas. If you are after a quieter/country lifestyle Waiuku is just down the road. Your budget would get you in a nice area of Waiuku.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2232183
There is also a house close by for 409k.
I've got Waiuku and Clarks Beach on the radar - some good prices over that way. Ta
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Pukekohe has a well known "Darkside" (Not my choice of words)

Imagine looking at the map and picture a clock on top of it - From 12 - 7 is ok and considered the more affluent areas. 7-12 is the darkside give or take.

Basically anything from east of the stadium is fine, My mate livers on and I lived on Prospect Terrace which was minutes to town and decent enough

The Valley area is considered nice but can be like "Grannyville" as my mate calls it.

Valley School is considered good if schools are a consideration.

We were told to avoid the north west corner, The Princess St, Helvetia and Kayes Road triangle. Although this is very subjective and I played football with a few lads from there and they found it fine.

There was talk of new section planned for the area near the roundabout on East St. but I dont know for sure. There was sections around the Cape Hill but i think these were pricey.

Davros is right about sections in Patumahoe if your happy to live there. If you are then defo consider Clarks Beach as its a bit nicer (IMO) but also full of holiday homes.

Happy hunting.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Pokeno as well has a whole new development underway,

Possibly the next boom town from an investment perspective

Although it does get rather misty
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:17 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gazmac
Pukekohe has a well known "Darkside" (Not my choice of words)

Imagine looking at the map and picture a clock on top of it - From 12 - 7 is ok and considered the more affluent areas. 7-12 is the darkside give or take.

Basically anything from east of the stadium is fine, My mate livers on and I lived on Prospect Terrace which was minutes to town and decent enough

The Valley area is considered nice but can be like "Grannyville" as my mate calls it.

Valley School is considered good if schools are a consideration.

We were told to avoid the north west corner, The Princess St, Helvetia and Kayes Road triangle. Although this is very subjective and I played football with a few lads from there and they found it fine.

There was talk of new section planned for the area near the roundabout on East St. but I dont know for sure. There was sections around the Cape Hill but i think these were pricey.

Davros is right about sections in Patumahoe if your happy to live there. If you are then defo consider Clarks Beach as its a bit nicer (IMO) but also full of holiday homes.

Happy hunting.
That's the sort of info I was looking for. I don't know which are the grotty areas. I'm no spring chicken myself so I don't mind Grannyville!

I was warned off Pokeno because of the mist problem.

Ta
Old Apr 12th 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jmh
I've got Waiuku and Clarks Beach on the radar - some good prices over that way. Ta
Another one in Waiuku in a good area.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2269037

The holiday park puts me off Clarks beach also seems to be higher prices as well.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

HI,
We moved to Pukekohe in November. Your best bet is to look at the Buckland area for peace and quiet. Can I suggest you contact Anthony at Green Door, he helped us so much and continues to do so with settling.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by qssue
HI,
We moved to Pukekohe in November. Your best bet is to look at the Buckland area for peace and quiet. Can I suggest you contact Anthony at Green Door, he helped us so much and continues to do so with settling.
That's very helpful.

I saw some very nice Generation homes in Patumahoe at the weekend which would be in my price range for a 3-bed. Good quality build too. Not sure I want to live in a subdivision though.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jmh. Patumahoe gets a good vote from me too. You can buy a decent house in a well established street if you bide your time. I'm another no for Pokeno - the fog in winter drives people mad.

The valley area of Pukekohe is nice. But it's very built up and feels quite congested.

My favourite part of Pukekohe is the 'hill' area. Green Lane, Upper Queen St, Anzac (all the cul-de-sacs off Anzac - Hamlet Pl, Dunolly etc). You feel as though you're on the outskirts and if you get the right place you have views across all Auckland.

There are properties advertised in this area within your price range often. The reason being is it's an established area. There are many variations of house. Not just new builds and sub-divisions.

If you'd like any more info - let me know. All the best.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:59 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone - I had a look at an interesting development at Anselmi Ridge. Worth a drive around if you are in the area. It has a lovely feel to it unlike other subdivisions which comes at the cost of very restrictive building regulations - looks nice though. I'll go back on Wednesday and have another look.

With all the new subdivisions in Puke, Pokeno and Patumahoe, Puke should be a boom town.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Thanks everyone - I had a look at an interesting development at Anselmi Ridge. Worth a drive around if you are in the area. It has a lovely feel to it unlike other subdivisions which comes at the cost of very restrictive building regulations - looks nice though. I'll go back on Wednesday and have another look.

With all the new subdivisions in Puke, Pokeno and Patumahoe, Puke should be a boom town.
Hi jmh - I'll pm you.