Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tips on all things shipping related

Tips on all things shipping related

Old May 4th 2016, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tips on all things shipping related

I've looked back a month or so and cant seem to find any threads on shipping, I'm probably jumping the gun and need to get some quotes which will in turn provide plenty of useful information but I'd really appreciate any tips the 'been there done that' crowd can offer.

Can anyone confirm if the following assumptions are correct...

1) I can bring food products that are sealed / commercially produced and not on the restricted lists... like cacao powder, coconut oil, maple syrup and bisto??

2) stockpiling toiletries for personal use is okay... so I can bulk buy when Boots does a 'less than half price'

3) if I buy new stuff to bring it will be okay as long as I open packaging / boxes... surely customs couldn't care less about my new food processor, duvet and pillows??

4) Christmas tree with fake pinecones... will this confuse customs and they will ask me to spend £200 on spraying A FAKE TREE??

5) If we get a door to door service but don't have a delivery door confirmed just yet can I notify them at a later date?

6) Paperwork... is storing it all in a plastic lidded box to ship a really good idea or a really bad one??

Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Lisa Maree; May 4th 2016 at 10:43 am.
Old May 4th 2016, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on all things shipping related

I would say yes to all of those, nobody is going to look at all your stuff in any great detail so I'd say go for your life and stash all you can, just make sure to wrap and pack it well before the packers do. Not so sure about important papers, you should scan what you can and keep the really important stuff in your hand luggage.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Bo-Jangles, I have thought of another as I sat out in the garden with the coffee for the first time since October... garden furniture / trampoline / kids bikes... if I give them a good clean with some kind of industrial garden moss type cleaner that should be sufficient??

The garden furniture is a teeny bit rusty in places (cheers for that Argos) but if it cleans up okay is that still worth shipping?
Old May 4th 2016, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

n1cola_d is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread but you have read my mind with those questions, especially the garden furniture courtesy of Argos, bikes and trampoline as I had the exact same thought this morning. This site is so helpful

Was also wondering about family photo's etc whether to leave them with my mum or ship them over (most are on various laptops and memory cards but I still love old fashioned pics
Old May 4th 2016, 6:39 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Spray all suspect outdoor stuff with Virkon S and label it as such and remember all of your goods will be going into a big tin box that will be travelling across the tropics subject to very hot to very cold temperatures...
Old May 4th 2016, 6:43 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy cacao powder, bisto etc here quite easily. Pak n save has a good range of raw food products, gluten free etc
Old May 4th 2016, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

I can get the cacao powder and coconut oil about half the price of the nz prices via Costco, seems like buying a few packs would be a good idea?? Might leave the Bistro tho
Old May 4th 2016, 7:17 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
I can get the cacao powder and coconut oil about half the price of the nz prices via Costco, seems like buying a few packs would be a good idea?? Might leave the Bistro tho
You may as well then, all those things are xpensive here
Old May 4th 2016, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

So, you're moving to NZ, which will cost you many $,000's and you're asking about bringing a bit of cocoa powder to save yourself what? $20, $30?
Old May 4th 2016, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
So, you're moving to NZ, which will cost you many $,000's and you're asking about bringing a bit of cocoa powder to save yourself what? $20, $30?
And your point is what? Its not like we'll be tight for room in the whopping great container and these particular items are significantly cheaper in the UK so why not take advantage of the space, I was double checking from a MAF / Customs point of view that this was allowed and not actually asking your opinion on if you thought it was a good idea or not.
Old May 4th 2016, 10:40 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

We refrained from bringing any food stuff/spices/oils/preservatives in our container so :-
a) We did not have to worry about spillage or infestation.
b) More importantly we were able to declare to the NZ Vanline/MAF/Customs questionnaire that our container was such and subsequently our container was unopened and delivered to our rental address still sealed...well worth the Countdown extra few $'s......
Old May 5th 2016, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Forget Xmas tree they seem to check all Xmas decorations regardless. Kiwis spend as much on garden furniture as indoor, so bring it all.

Suggest you sit down and forecast your shopping for a year or two.

For example I am buying myself a good telescope with all mod cons (rural NZ is perfect for astronomy) and the costs in NZ are 70-100% more than UK, no idea why as normal electronic goods are similar prices. Just bringing the suitcase size bits back in my next trip will save me about £600.

So bring forward any expensive spending
Old May 5th 2016, 6:50 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Take as much as you can. Some shipping companies advise against filling empty drawers but its a waste not to. I filled all of mine and I had a few old trunks that I filled. I put all of my family photos into a vacuum bag and then into a plastic tub with a plastic lid and they survived. I didn't take any garden furniture over but took my daughters bike and all of our camping equipment. I made sure everything was clean. Luckily our container did not get inspected and the process was easy. A couple of my possessions did get broken in transit, one which was from my best friend. I was really upset but looking back I think I was feeling very emotional anyway which didn't help.

Happy packing and good luck. xxx

p.s. Take things such as face and body creams as they are expensive. Most personal care items for women are expensive in NZ and I wished I had taken more.
Old May 5th 2016, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Might leave the Bistro tho

If you're talking traditional, old fashioned Bisto gravy powder...then you fill that container Lisa!!! It is not the same here, believe me I've tried them ALL. I still get it sent over regularly. And before anyone shoots me down, it is my one little luxury
As for garden tools, bikes and furniture if it's a bit rusty try painting it with Hammerite paint. And of course the liberal coating of Jeyes fluid to keep everyone happy.
Old May 5th 2016, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Bit difficult to dismantle and reassemble a restaurant! I'm sure they have bistros in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.