Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To tip or not to tip?

To tip or not to tip?

Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To tip or not to tip?

Originally Posted by love30stm
I found a realy good hairdresser who is now a friend also...

just thought I would let you know my Hair costs about $150. for foils and a trim....cheap hey? I had extensions a while back and that cost me $500 not cheap but if my hair is looking good then I feel good.

what I like about the salon I go to I can have a glass of wine instead of Coffee
$150 for foils and a trim that is good. I paid $175 but some wanted to charge as much as $310!! Think I will stick to the coffee though, I would not want to leave if I had wine

I hate having my hair done by someone new for the first time but I like the one I have chosen too.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:24 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nukiwi
$150 for foils and a trim that is good. I paid $175 but some wanted to charge as much as $310!! Think I will stick to the coffee though, I would not want to leave if I had wine

I hate having my hair done by someone new for the first time but I like the one I have chosen too.
Wow Im lucky then....thought I paid a lot
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jupjup
We rarely tip, it really isnt expected and the new restaurant machines for the EFTPOS have an option to add tip and the last few times, we have come across it we have been told to just bypass that step.

We have been known to tip if its been a great meal and great service,

Hairdresser, again I have never tipped, but I got to know her quite well and use to take her in some home baking, or pick up a cafe coffee & muffin on my way to my appt for her. I have found its gestures more than tips here...
Good idea about the hairdresser, I will have to get to know her better then I can take in a little gesture.

Originally Posted by Genesis
Been here well over 3 years..don't tip and have never been expected to. I once offered a tip and was told to spend it on my kids!!!! Great aye? No one tips me when I clean their house, car or garden. I HATE tipping and its for the boss to sort out staff's wages not the punter to underpin their crap wages!!!! Customers should NOT have to worry about such stuff..without the latter the staff would have NO job!!!
We always tipped back in the UK and spent most of our holidays in America where it is almost compulsory!! Over there they are on minimum wage and rely on tips, that is why you always get excellent service.

It is an awkward situation and you are right the customer should not have to worry and subsidise their wages.

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I hope tipping never becomes mandatory. I've never seen that option of adding a tip to a bill in a restaurant, but it is definitely your choice to do so. You won't be glared at or whispered about if you leave without tipping. We never tip taxi drivers or hairdressers. We hardly tip at restaurants but have once or twice when we thought the waiter outdid him or herself.
When we paid our bill and were about to leave the restaurant last night, one of the waiting staff caught up with us and handed my husband a $5 note which he had dropped out of his pocket. How honest was that!! but we felt even worse then for not tipping but most of you are saying its not expected so at least we know now and will only tip if we feel it warranted.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
I found a realy good hairdresser who is now a friend also...

just thought I would let you know my Hair costs about $150. for foils and a trim....cheap hey? I had extensions a while back and that cost me $500 not cheap but if my hair is looking good then I feel good.

what I like about the salon I go to I can have a glass of wine instead of Coffee
thats y im going to miss mine, she is more of a friend now, she charges me 25 quid thats to cut my hair do my roots and highlights and she also cuts garys and my wee girl, she is a fantastic hairdresser so im dreading it big time going to have to pay full amount lol, though 150 is still good i agrre about your hair making you feel good, mines gets done every 4th tuesday with out fail

caz
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

not wanting to hijack thread but I pay $113 for foils, cut and blow dry. it is nerve wracking finding a new hairdresser, but like you I am more than happy with the one i've found
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshlin
not wanting to hijack thread but I pay $113 for foils, cut and blow dry. it is nerve wracking finding a new hairdresser, but like you I am more than happy with the one i've found
Wow that is a good deal. Up here in Auckland everything seems more expensive
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

just thought id add on to this post about hairdressing costs and tips.... got my hair cut and coloured last week cost me $165 15 of that was for a treatment that was to last like 12 washes but i didnt notice a difference so i wont be doing that again... i left 5 dollars tip so cost me 170 all in...... there was a poster on here that used to supply to hairdressers.. if anyone remembers that can you please give me a shout thanks

caz
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:35 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
we have this here in some places , ie food courts in shopping centres where i dont tend to tip , but def in restaraunts.. with hairdressers i have had same girl come for last 7 years , it costs me 25 quid she gets 30 , but who knows what i will do in NZ this is one thing im dreading as i love my hairdresser plus i never know in these places what your suppose to leave so if its nothing then that makes it easier lol, think ill just grow my hair really long again lol save the hassle

caz
Hi
I do not tip at the Hairdressers now when I first arrived back in 2003 I was paying over $145.00 for a cut and highlights and that was in Christchurch (back home I was paying 30 pounds) even tried only paying for so many foils but it was still costing me more then $95.00 and did not look as good so now I just have one colour and the sun does the rest but now paying $75.00 out of town at Rangiora I have also grown my hair long but the other half goes all the time now said she does a good head massage
Lin
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:13 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately not requisite here. I tip taxi drivers because I'm pickled when I use them.

I don't tip in restaurants - but my eldest works in one ... she says they don't get tips.

I don't tip the hairdresser when I go! Actually only used one and now use friend's daughter at their house $30 for foils and a Vidal Sasoon trained senior stylist - result!!! And plenty of alcohol!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Definately not requisite here. I tip taxi drivers because I'm pickled when I use them.

I don't tip in restaurants - but my eldest works in one ... she says they don't get tips.

I don't tip the hairdresser when I go! Actually only used one and now use friend's daughter at their house $30 for foils and a Vidal Sasoon trained senior stylist - result!!! And plenty of alcohol!
I am trying to find one that will come to my home as like you i had a vidal sassoon trained stylest and she took 25 quid to do my roots, foils, hair cut plus gary and lucys , no way im paying 165 a month lol , i will do it myself first, if i can find an outlet that sells good product, how the hell can they charge like 85 dollars for 12 foils omg lol

anyone here of a hairdresser in new plymouth looking for a homer tell them to give me a shout,

gaz was in same salon getting hair cut and the girl refused a tip so dont think i will from now on , omg i need a cheap hairdresser lol
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
I am trying to find one that will come to my home as like you i had a vidal sassoon trained stylest and she took 25 quid to do my roots, foils, hair cut plus gary and lucys , no way im paying 165 a month lol , i will do it myself first, if i can find an outlet that sells good product, how the hell can they charge like 85 dollars for 12 foils omg lol

anyone here of a hairdresser in new plymouth looking for a homer tell them to give me a shout,

gaz was in same salon getting hair cut and the girl refused a tip so dont think i will from now on , omg i need a cheap hairdresser lol
Hi,Jacky here...I'm a hairdresser and tried the have your hair done in the comfort of your own home thing here...Kiwis just dont seem to do that...they would rather go to a salon or go to someones garage that has had conversion done)...I have put out hundreds of flyers with very cheap prices but just never took off here in Auckland...plenty of Brits interested,but unfortunately not enough to sustain a business....worked in a salon for a while here,and would have to say tipping was never expected from locals,but the girls in the salon loved getting a Brit in,as they were well tipped from them...

When we first came here we ordered a Pizza delivery,Garry tipped the young Indian delivery guy,he couldn't believe it,kept saying thankyou may god be with you,came back the next day and left a prayer in our mail box...It was only 4 bucks...so guessing it doesn't happen that often here...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garryhg
Hi,Jacky here...I'm a hairdresser and tried the have your hair done in the comfort of your own home thing here...Kiwis just dont seem to do that...they would rather go to a salon or go to someones garage that has had conversion done)...I have put out hundreds of flyers with very cheap prices but just never took off here in Auckland...plenty of Brits interested,but unfortunately not enough to sustain a business....worked in a salon for a while here,and would have to say tipping was never expected from locals,but the girls in the salon loved getting a Brit in,as they were well tipped from them...

When we first came here we ordered a Pizza delivery,Garry tipped the young Indian delivery guy,he couldn't believe it,kept saying thankyou may god be with you,came back the next day and left a prayer in our mail box...It was only 4 bucks...so guessing it doesn't happen that often here...

why cant you be in new plyouth lol y ou could of done mine , ah well im sure i will find someone
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

I cant believe your paying that to have your hair done ....you wait till your staying down here I've got all the foils and colour etc upstairs in the cupboard...you can have your pick, you've got me or Julie....sober of course....lol....Jacky
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:02 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

OH and I have just come back from a wonderful meal in a Vietnamese restaurant near where we live. Fantastic food and attentive service. However, before coming to NZ we normally leave a tip for good service but here we remember reading that tipping is not normally done.

Can someone please advise what is normal practice here. Do you leave a tip or not? We would hate to cause embarrassment to ourselves or the waiting staff in the restaurant.
I would never tip in NZ unless you get exceptional service. Then only 5-10%.
It's NOT America where tips form part of the wages (due to them being so very low)
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garryhg
I cant believe your paying that to have your hair done ....you wait till your staying down here I've got all the foils and colour etc upstairs in the cupboard...you can have your pick, you've got me or Julie....sober of course....lol....Jacky

please sell me some solution and powder plzzzzz so i can do mine lol, i cant find where to buy it anywhere here

caz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.