Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

a tip on immigrating to NZ

a tip on immigrating to NZ

Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:50 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of
Default a tip on immigrating to NZ

Dont sell your UK property to buy one in NZ
Dont bring all your money over to NZ, bring a little over and see how you do on the NZ salary and living costs, that way you will see what it could be like when you have spent all your UK cash and may want to leave NZ.
Try two years on a work visa in NZ to sample the working experience and living experience of NZ.
Good Luck
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a tip on immigrating to NZ

valid points and agree if you can afford to keep a property going in the UK think most people would want to. As for visa's think most people go for what they can get on that front.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 6:03 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

But bear in mind you will be paying rent which takes a big chunk of your take home pay.
As NZ property prices are rising quicker than UK, property here can still be an investment.
Tweet tweet apparently has a chip rather than a head on them there shoulders.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Tweet tweet apparently has a chip rather than a head on them there shoulders.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:44 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobDon
Agree!! Bitter much?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweetweet
Dont bring all your money over to NZ, bring a little over and see how you do on the NZ salary and living costs, that way you will see what it could be like when you have spent all your UK cash and may want to leave NZ.
Try two years on a work visa in NZ to sample the working experience and living experience of NZ.
Good Luck
Have you never been in the saddle on the back of a runaway horse ? Grow a pair and get on with it !! We did the opposite of what you're advising (unless you are just being sarcastic ?). The only exception being I'm married to a kiwi so have a family category visa. Just as I suspected we ride the highs and lows of life here in NZ, just like we did in Britain.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 10th 2012 at 8:45 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with any of the first post, total nonsense
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I don't agree with any of the first post, total nonsense
Don't see why you think its nonsense - just cos that's not the way you'd do it, doesn't mean everyone has to see things the same way. Different strokes/different folks etc.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Have you never been in the saddle on the back of a runaway horse ? Grow a pair and get on with it !! We did the opposite of what you're advising (unless you are just being sarcastic ?). The only exception being I'm married to a kiwi so have a family category visa. Just as I suspected we ride the highs and lows of life here in NZ, just like we did in Britain.
You pinched my cover photo from facebook for your avatar!

Sorry back to thread
Old Nov 11th 2012, 6:00 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is and how clever of you to notice !
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Yes it is and how clever of you to notice !
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:35 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

I think that is pretty good advice when you first move to NZ you will notice how expensive everything is including buying what can only be termed as an expensive shed in most cases. Keep a house in the UK if at all possible as when the rose tinted glasses come off you may want to return to civilization.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:26 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't see why you think its nonsense - just cos that's not the way you'd do it, doesn't mean everyone has to see things the same way. Different strokes/different folks etc.
well done in answering your own question about why he thinks it's nonsence
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck
Had I followed this advice when I came here in 2004 I would now be up shit creek without a paddle!

I did the exact opposite and glad I did.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good Luck
I sort of agree with this and sort of don't. We rented for 2 years before buying a house. It was about commitment on my part if I am honest . Maybe I would have settled better had I had my own home earlier and there again maybe not. My old Dad was still alive back then & I really should never have parted the pair of us. Not for me and certainly not for him. Love can run so very deep .

There again, had we got on with it and bought a house , it wouldn't have been the end of the world really and we would , at least, have had a place to call our own & that would have made us both feel more settled and happier over that period.

So. Conclusion. Horses for courses. You can't know what is best for you until you try it, test it and see if it fits for you.

Bit like real life really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.