British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   a tip on immigrating to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tip-immigrating-nz-777176/)

tweetweet Nov 10th 2012 8:50 am

a tip on immigrating to NZ

Dont sell your UK property to buy one in NZ
Dont bring all your money over to NZ, bring a little over and see how you do on the NZ salary and living costs, that way you will see what it could be like when you have spent all your UK cash and may want to leave NZ.
Try two years on a work visa in NZ to sample the working experience and living experience of NZ.
Good Luck

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2012 8:53 am

Re: a tip on immigrating to NZ

valid points and agree if you can afford to keep a property going in the UK think most people would want to. As for visa's think most people go for what they can get on that front.

hazeandsteve Nov 10th 2012 6:03 pm

But bear in mind you will be paying rent which takes a big chunk of your take home pay.
As NZ property prices are rising quicker than UK, property here can still be an investment.
Tweet tweet apparently has a chip rather than a head on them there shoulders.

RobDon Nov 10th 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 10376043)
Tweet tweet apparently has a chip rather than a head on them there shoulders.

:lol: :D :lol:

love30stm Nov 10th 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 10376144)
:lol: :D :lol:

Agree!! Bitter much? ;) :rofl:

Snap Shot Nov 10th 2012 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375541)
Dont bring all your money over to NZ, bring a little over and see how you do on the NZ salary and living costs, that way you will see what it could be like when you have spent all your UK cash and may want to leave NZ.
Try two years on a work visa in NZ to sample the working experience and living experience of NZ.
Good Luck

Have you never been in the saddle on the back of a runaway horse ? Grow a pair and get on with it !! We did the opposite of what you're advising (unless you are just being sarcastic ?). The only exception being I'm married to a kiwi so have a family category visa. Just as I suspected we ride the highs and lows of life here in NZ, just like we did in Britain.

Justcol Nov 11th 2012 12:08 am

I don't agree with any of the first post, total nonsense

Pollyana Nov 11th 2012 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 10376337)
I don't agree with any of the first post, total nonsense

Don't see why you think its nonsense - just cos that's not the way you'd do it, doesn't mean everyone has to see things the same way. Different strokes/different folks etc.

love30stm Nov 11th 2012 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 10376201)
Have you never been in the saddle on the back of a runaway horse ? Grow a pair and get on with it !! We did the opposite of what you're advising (unless you are just being sarcastic ?). The only exception being I'm married to a kiwi so have a family category visa. Just as I suspected we ride the highs and lows of life here in NZ, just like we did in Britain.

You pinched my cover photo from facebook for your avatar! :lol: :sneaky:

Sorry back to thread ;)

Snap Shot Nov 11th 2012 6:00 am

Yes it is and how clever of you to notice !

love30stm Nov 11th 2012 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 10376568)
Yes it is and how clever of you to notice !

:p

mikesurf Nov 12th 2012 8:35 am

I think that is pretty good advice when you first move to NZ you will notice how expensive everything is including buying what can only be termed as an expensive shed in most cases. Keep a house in the UK if at all possible as when the rose tinted glasses come off you may want to return to civilization.

theghostofdustybin Nov 12th 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10376447)
Don't see why you think its nonsense - just cos that's not the way you'd do it, doesn't mean everyone has to see things the same way. Different strokes/different folks etc.

well done in answering your own question about why he thinks it's nonsence

Robbie2010 Nov 12th 2012 10:28 pm

Good Luck

Had I followed this advice when I came here in 2004 I would now be up shit creek without a paddle!

I did the exact opposite and glad I did.

BEVS Nov 13th 2012 7:32 am

Good Luck

I sort of agree with this and sort of don't. We rented for 2 years before buying a house. It was about commitment on my part if I am honest . Maybe I would have settled better had I had my own home earlier and there again maybe not. My old Dad was still alive back then & I really should never have parted the pair of us. Not for me and certainly not for him. Love can run so very deep .

There again, had we got on with it and bought a house , it wouldn't have been the end of the world really and we would , at least, have had a place to call our own & that would have made us both feel more settled and happier over that period.

So. Conclusion. Horses for courses. You can't know what is best for you until you try it, test it and see if it fits for you.

Bit like real life really.