Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tip for the first few months when you arrive in NZ...

Tip for the first few months when you arrive in NZ...

Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tip for the first few months when you arrive in NZ...

...I have been here nearly a year now, and I found the first few months I was getting sick, with weird sore throats and other lurgys. I was working in science research at the time, and found out that here in NZ there is a lack of zinc in the soil, which of course doesnt go into the fruit and veg etc (or if you are akin to eating soil?!?) Lack of zinc (we get lots in the UK in our fruit and veg) can make you more prone to colds and others nasty things, so I was advised to take some supplements. Now fighting fit, and feeling great, and not been sick since.
Sooooo just thought I would pass on this tip, as I found it helped me.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:59 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip for the first few months when you arrive in NZ...

I think that's why tap water and milk from the supermarket get other stuff added into it...?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:45 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Thank you, my eldest has quite marked 'cold symptoms', as a family we rarely get colds or anything that is 'going around' but he's having trouble 'shaking it off' and has actually taken a day off work (unheard of in our household without death certificate). Will get some supplements, but he will probably only take for a day or 2. We tend to 'shrug things off' rather than seek medical attention so taking pills and potions do not come naturally to us.

Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Do try and get him to take them for a couple of months Pauline. It really will work. I am exactly the same....hate potions and generally refuse to take antibiotics unless a limb is falling off.....but this definitely helps to shrug off colds. Good luck!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:51 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NZBee
Do try and get him to take them for a couple of months Pauline. It really will work. I am exactly the same....hate potions and generally refuse to take antibiotics unless a limb is falling off.....but this definitely helps to shrug off colds. Good luck!
Oh I will, but won't hold my breath. Antibiotics are the only things we take until bottle empty. Can't remember when any of us last had any. The one with cold symptoms was probably 4 or 5 now 23, James about same age, tell a lie had 2 courses last year for tooth abcess. Me about 20 years ago. When I needed a medical for insurance the surgery took my records out of the archives,

Thanks
Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:15 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZBee
...I have been here nearly a year now, and I found the first few months I was getting sick, with weird sore throats and other lurgys. I was working in science research at the time, and found out that here in NZ there is a lack of zinc in the soil, which of course doesnt go into the fruit and veg etc (or if you are akin to eating soil?!?) Lack of zinc (we get lots in the UK in our fruit and veg) can make you more prone to colds and others nasty things, so I was advised to take some supplements. Now fighting fit, and feeling great, and not been sick since.
Sooooo just thought I would pass on this tip, as I found it helped me.

I have also heard that the low levels of Zinc in the soil also contributes to NZ's very high rates of depression and suicide.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Really?? That is interesting...
All the more reason to take some supplements!
It is funny actually, GP's here encourage you to take supplements. I found the opposite in the UK...more that you should be getting everything you need from your diet.
I should take some of my own advice anyway...I now have a stinking cold and am off work feeling sorry for myself! :curse:
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Really? That must explain why I've had this nasty cold for 2 weeks! I'm not a great pill/potion taker either - only when absolutely necessary but I can't cope with weeks of feeling crap with Uni and 3 kids (4 if you include the hubby!) to deal with