Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Timing of events - what order is best?

Timing of events - what order is best?

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Houghfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timing of events - what order is best?

Hello, back for some more advice!

As said on my other thread, it transpires that my OH is entitled to live and work in NZ through "citizenship by descent". He's going to fill in the form for both his entitlement and the NZ passport this week.

This brings us to a state of "what next?"We're trying to establish whether he should try to get a job over there first and then sponsor me and my children or whether to sponsor me first and then apply for a job. Any ideas on which this is the best plan, so to speak?

We're a bit concerned that should he sponsor me and the kids first prior to getting a job that we will have to move out there before he secures a job. Whilst we've got enough money saved to enable us to do this for a period of time, it's not what we want really as we don't want to be draining our resources and find he possibly can't find employment or find employment for a reasonable salary...on the other hand, we don't want him to apply for and get a job for us to be left behind with me trying to sort out all the paperwork for me and the kids!

Please could you advise - should Isort out getting togehter the paperwork now? Timing is of the essence I know and I wondered how you guys went about things? Job first then paperwork or the other way around?

All advice/suggestions gratefully received!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timing of events - what order is best?

Originally Posted by Houghfamily

As said on my other thread, it transpires that my OH is entitled to live and work in NZ through "citizenship by descent". He's going to fill in the form for both his entitlement and the NZ passport this week.

This brings us to a state of "what next?"We're trying to establish whether he should try to get a job over there first and then sponsor me and my children or whether to sponsor me first and then apply for a job. Any ideas on which this is the best plan, so to speak?

We're a bit concerned that should he sponsor me and the kids first prior to getting a job that we will have to move out there before he secures a job. Whilst we've got enough money saved to enable us to do this for a period of time, it's not what we want really as we don't want to be draining our resources and find he possibly can't find employment or find employment for a reasonable salary...on the other hand, we don't want him to apply for and get a job for us to be left behind with me trying to sort out all the paperwork for me and the kids!

Please could you advise - should Isort out getting togehter the paperwork now? Timing is of the essence I know and I wondered how you guys went about things? Job first then paperwork or the other way around?

First step is to sort out NZ immigration visas for you and the children: look at the information on spouse migration at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

It's best to get the right visa before leaving the UK, then you are permanent residents immediately on getting into NZ. Trying to do things any other way is just asking for trouble.

As for getting a job, it's not always easy (even for an NZ citizen) to get a job from overseas. Depending on the trade/profession, you may have to move first and sort out a job after arrival.

You should aim to become a naturalised New Zealand citizen after 5 years residence in New Zealand. See http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

As for the children, if they are under 16 it may be possible for them to be naturalised as citizens once you can clearly show they are *living* in New Zealand as permanent residents, as they already have an NZ citizen parent.
Look at the information on the Citizenship Office website.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Houghfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
First step is to sort out NZ immigration visas for you and the children: look at the information on spouse migration at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

It's best to get the right visa before leaving the UK, then you are permanent residents immediately on getting into NZ. Trying to do things any other way is just asking for trouble.

As for getting a job, it's not always easy (even for an NZ citizen) to get a job from overseas. Depending on the trade/profession, you may have to move first and sort out a job after arrival.

You should aim to become a naturalised New Zealand citizen after 5 years residence in New Zealand. See http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

As for the children, if they are under 16 it may be possible for them to be naturalised as citizens once you can clearly show they are *living* in New Zealand as permanent residents, as they already have an NZ citizen parent.
Look at the information on the Citizenship Office website.
Thanks for the infomation

We're under the assumption that the sort of visas the kids and I will need are the 'sponsored' type - is this a permanent visa? Is this correct? As my OH will be (from what we can gather, until his upgrade is sorted as you said on our other thread) an NZ citizen. We've looked on the citizenship site (and are continuing to look) but are feeling a bit confused what with the NZIS info and the Citizenship info...there are times when it doesn't make sense to us, or seems to conflict.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the infomation

We're under the assumption that the sort of visas the kids and I will need are the 'sponsored' type - is this a permanent visa? Is this correct? As my OH will be (from what we can gather, until his upgrade is sorted as you said on our other thread) an NZ citizen. We've looked on the citizenship site (and are continuing to look) but are feeling a bit confused what with the NZIS info and the Citizenship info...there are times when it doesn't make sense to us, or seems to conflict.

Correct. Your husband will need to sponsor you & the children for permanent visas under the spouse category. Application should normally be made to NZIS in London.

He's still an NZ citizen, the "upgrade" will just give him a better "quality" of NZ citizenship in one respect.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

He does not need a job to sponsor you....so no real reason to try and find a job first...

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nsormypartner/

that link deals with the whole sponsorship thing, you prob have read that already...
It is a lot easier to have everything sorted before you leave, ie his citizenship and passport, and your PR as partner of NZ citizen, even if it takes slightly longer. I would say get your Permanent Residency sorted out first, and then be prepared that he will have to come to NZ to look for a job here. Once you get closer to teh time you can start looking at specific jobs and emailing prospective employers, but you should plan for having face to face interviews before getting a job...(IMO).

The advantage of you having PR when you arrive is that you can also look for work without restrictions, if you chose to do so...