timesup

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

itsabouttime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default timesup

Okay, after a very long period of procrastination I have decided that now is the time and that moving to NZ would be the best thing for me to do, for me.

I need some hardcore advice and support, no subtlety please.

I am:

English teacher
secondary
single
no kids
no house (not on this wage)
no preference as to where i teach in NZ

that's me.

questions:

as a teacher do i have to send off a PAR form or move straight to having my qualifications recognised and then EOI?

thanks in advance.

TU
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: timesup

No idea but I like your no-nonsense approach. Hope this bumps you to where a teacher can help out.

Good luck
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Flamey is on a distinguished road

Hi itsabouttime,

I've been reading this forum for a while but only just joined as I can see nobody has answered your question and though I might be able to help!

You will need a full assessment from NZQA so there's no point in wasting time (and money) with the PAR. Go straight for the full assessment - you will need to send your Degree/PGCE certs AND transcripts - so if you haven't got the transcripts get these asap. When you are applying for your full assessment with NZQA there is a part where you can ask them to send their result to the Teaching Council - make sure you tick this. You can then apply to the Teaching Council for a teacher licence at the same time as applying for your NZQA assessment. This saves heaps of time.

If you need info on teacher salaries they are in the Minitry of Education Collective Agreement:
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio..._Salary_Scales

Hope this helps!

Flamey
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

I posted a reply to the OP yesterday and (as a new member) was told my message needed to be checked by a moderator first (fair enough) - any idea mods how long this takes?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by itsabouttime
Okay, after a very long period of procrastination I have decided that now is the time and that moving to NZ would be the best thing for me to do, for me.

I need some hardcore advice and support, no subtlety please.

I am:

English teacher
secondary
single
no kids
no house (not on this wage)
no preference as to where i teach in NZ

that's me.

questions:

as a teacher do i have to send off a PAR form or move straight to having my qualifications recognised and then EOI?

thanks in advance.

TU
I wouldnt worry about that.. I would worry about the Exchange rate, damp houses, Poor driving and the fact that Bread is sooo much cheaper in Asda..

Joking apart im sure there will be loads of advise available here just not from me im afraid
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Seems like my original message hasn't been passed as 'suitable' and I've no idea why!

Anyhow, I'll try again......

Don't bother with PAR as NZQA will need to do a full assessment on your quals anyway - so just go straight to that. They'll want your degree/PGCE certs plus transcripts - so if you haven't got these, get your hands on them asap.

When applying for the full NZQA assessment there is a part where you can select for them to send their result direct to the Teaching Council - make sure you tick this. You can then apply for your TC Teacher Licence at the same time as applying for full NZQA assessment. This speeds things up greatly (plus saves you a bit in international postage).

Don't worry about your age - I'm 39 and on a recent visit to NZ I spent time in 2 schools and both schools offered me work! Both principals said they liked hiring UK teachers as they think we're trained better - obviously I don't know if this is true, but that was their perception and I was glad to hear it

Good luck!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Aaah, my message of 4th August has now appeared.

Thank you mods
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

itsabouttime is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys for the info - PAR is discarded - straight to nzqa.

cheers
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by itsabouttime

I am:
single
no kids
that's me.
What do you think this place is, a dating site?!!

Do you know danjones?

Good luck by the way!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hello there, I understand that secondary teachers are in short supply in NZ (as they are all over the world I certainly wouldn't want to have taught me and my friends knowing what I was like in secondary school ) so although can't help with advice on what to do, I don't think you'll be struggling to find work.

Best of luck