Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Or how about keeping a tighter leash on the bankers and financiers,whom amongst tend to cause far greater havoc to a nations economy,than your do nothing bogan pickey?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Agreed. Far too many discussions about the price of goods 'here' vs the price 'there'.
Isn't it just. Don't get why as most everything is cheaper in UK,than OZ and i take it NZ. If it's about cost folks,you will be more likely better off staying home.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Or how about keeping a tighter leash on the bankers and financiers,whom amongst tend to cause far greater havoc to a nations economy,than your do nothing bogan pickey?
Or how we don’t get covered in shit next time a few banks implode on themselves in an orgy of derivatives trading. I’m not too worried about who survives as long as it’s not my money going to bankrupt banks.

Bogan? I’ll grab the bourbon and coke premixes if you bring a Holden. <Puts on “Von Dutch” hoody and baseball cap>
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

No, train the folks here, there is enough people here without bringing in ten pound anyone!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the UK is full of wasters....just that there are too many people taking it too easy and not getting off their ass and going out to work.
Some of you guys really need to tune into some talkback radio The likes of NewsTalk ZB might give you a reality check on what daily life in NZ is like and what MR & Mrs Kiwi like to complain about week in and week out - you'll hear similar comments as above, a thousand times a week. This country is in no less strife or tatters proportionally than the UK in any economic, financial or statistical regard, there's just less people here and less chance for NZ to trade it's way out of recession. We rely almost entirely on milk, sheep, pretty scenery and tourists.

Obviously not every migrant that comes here is a middle class, high flyer with an arm full of qualifications looking for a job. We have to take our share of refugees too (750 per year) and those for example that come via other visa categories: such as the familly stream from the Islands. Believe me, the immigration officials have a steady supply of work chasing down the population of 'overstayers' and illegal immigrants. There was talk a while back of NZ opening an Aussie style refugee processing centre, to help out with the boat people that.

Funny also today it was mentioned in the news about several hundred refugees that had previously been 'posted' to Christchurch that are relocating to Auckland in large numbers. I struggle to comprehend this one:these folks seem to get a second bite of the welfare cherry and some even after many years of being here. It's reported that these refugees have decided that Christchurch is no longer the safe haven they thought it was, so they hop on a free plane back to Auckland to be placed in the refugee system once again, being supported by migrant services because of a natural disaster. Something so not right?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10709820
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Some of you guys really need to tune into some talkback radio The likes of NewsTalk ZB might give you a reality check on what daily life in NZ is like and what MR & Mrs Kiwi like to complain about week in and week out - you'll hear similar comments as above, a thousand times a week. This country is in no less strife or tatters proportionally than the UK in any economic, financial or statistical regard, there's just less people here and less chance for NZ to trade it's way out of recession. We rely almost entirely on milk, sheep, pretty scenery and tourists.

Obviously not every migrant that comes here is a middle class, high flyer with an arm full of qualifications looking for a job. We have to take our share of refugees too (750 per year) and those for example that come via other visa categories: such as the familly stream from the Islands. Believe me, the immigration officials have a steady supply of work chasing down the population of 'overstayers' and illegal immigrants. There was talk a while back of NZ opening an Aussie style refugee processing centre, to help out with the boat people that.

Funny also today it was mentioned in the news about several hundred refugees that had previously been 'posted' to Christchurch that are relocating to Auckland in large numbers. I struggle to comprehend this one:these folks seem to get a second bite of the welfare cherry and some even after many years of being here. It's reported that these refugees have decided that Christchurch is no longer the safe haven they thought it was, so they hop on a free plane back to Auckland to be placed in the refugee system once again, being supported by migrant services because of a natural disaster. Something so not right?

Good Morning Everyone

Headline news in the Times this morning is about the relaxation of benefits for EU migrants coming into the UK. The powers that be in Europe have decided the UK can not refuse a foreign migrant access to benefits and the UK government can do nothing about it. Consequently it means over 100,000 people currently based in the UK without work will be eligible to claim up to £250 per person per week. That's £1.3 Billion per year! But how many will travel to the UK on the back of that ruling!!

It also allows an adult to claim child benefits for every child even if the children are not resident in the UK! Just think what UK child benefits will buy you in Lithuania, Slovenia, Estonia or Latvia not to mention possible new EU member states Albania, Croatia or Macedonia? Expect another massive influx of EU migrants into the UK very soon. Its a national disgrace that we are powerless to stop and that I believe will end in major civil unrest in the UK in years to come.

The official net migration figure in to/out of the UK since 1997 is +3 million with an expected population of 71 Million by 2030. The unofficial figures for both statistics are far far in excess of those documented and given 350,000 British born people are leaving each year the demographics of the UK population will change massively in that time.

Last one out switch out the light!!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Roughly 500,000 Kiwi's in Oz, 50,000 Aussies in NZ. Must mean something.

Where do you get these figures from? Can they be accurate?

After all when you enter/exit Australia or New Zealand you fill out an arrivals & departure card & you are asked to tick the box that corresponds with your reason for travel.

*Temporary
*Permanent
*Which country will you spend the most part of the next 12 months in?

People can simply tick any box they like so if they are taking the data from these statistics how reliable is that?

The media has a lot to answer. How many times when the real estate market or economy is in the doldrums do you see or hear a media release often from a prominent Real Estate Company saying the downturn has stopped & house sales etc are up by 5% from the month before, or that now is the time to buy because of blah, blah. Mr & Mrs Joe Public who had been sitting on the fence waiting because they expected the economy to get worse say oh Joe lets go out & buy a house, car, new telly, install a pool because the market's moving again & our house will be worth 20% more in two years etc etc. So Mr Real Estate Company, Mr White Good Retailer, Mr Car Sales, Mr Tradesman all get an upsurge in sales.
People like to hear the house they bought 5 years ago is now worth more even if it's only on paper. Thats how a lot of the trouble first started by people becoming euphoric about how much more their net worth had grown so lets go out & spend some of it.

The media put out these snippets to kick start things, give people confidence to spend etc.

It's the same the world over yesterday I read here in Spain yesterday that the economy will only get worse here, house prices have much further to fall & that Spain ALREADY had an over supply of unsold 2.4 million houses when the bust happened.
I another article I read that the oversupply has decreased & buyers are back.

So who do you believe?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Yes I knew of a adult family of 4 of refugees from Kosovo that arrived in Auckland several years ago, were provided with a HNZ house in Orakei for $60 a week, husband & wife started a commercial cleaning business & son opened a fashion store in Newmarket great they had the work ethic & wanted to get on but once on their feet that house should have been offered to a more deserving struggling family.

Also HNZ build 6 bedroom houses in & around Glen Innes because many Pacific Islands have large families, would the Pacific Islands government build provide me with a 6 bedroom house/hut if I move there with a bunch of kids?

If you are ever in Glen Innes take a look at how many obese Pacific Islanders are shuffling in & out of the WINZ branch, really is an eye opener.

When I applied for my Australian Age Pension at a Brisbane branch of Centrelink I was almost the only applicant with European complexion. Most were African in robes. One of them reversed into my hire car & I watched him try to disguise the damage by spitting on his hand & rubbing my car. When I confronted him with the damage he said it was ok he had fixed it!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Isn't the Asian percentage higher in NZ than Oz? Gang problems be it ethnic or motor cycle are far from unknown in NZ as well.
Depends on the locality that you reside.

Perhaps,understandably you are a little homesick for your NZ life.
By the way do you speak and understand Spanish? Far harder if don't.

A couple we know(Brits) left West Australia(Mandurah) almost three years ago for Southern Spain and far prefer it.

Not sure of the actual % but I remember reading that Auckland had the higest population of Pacific Islanders in the world & more languages was spoken in Auckland than anywhere. Also Auckland has a large transient Asian student population. Working in Auckland CBD I know for a fact that a lot of Asian students return home for the long university break.

However I would imagine that Australia with Population of 24,000,000 would have a bigger % than NZ with 4,000,000 population.

I speak a little Spanish but where I used to live they spoke a strong dialect of Andalusia, & here they speak Canarian, Both are Spanish but hard to understand if you learnt a more common Spanish. But I did choose to live amongst the local rather than among the British expats.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

The fact that it now faces a gigantic bill for reconstruction, money it doesn't have, is not going to help it one bit.
I may be wrong here, but doesn't the lions share of the reconstruction bill fall on international insurers? I'm sure that is the case.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AH30
I may be wrong here, but doesn't the lions share of the reconstruction bill fall on international insurers? I'm sure that is the case.

Yes that is what I understand also John Keys said the money would come from

Earthquake Commission

Insurance Companies

Reinsurance Companies

Then in addition to this there is ALSO the millions of $ donated by other generous countries, companies & individuals to Aid Agencies.

Christchurch will recover.
Very foolish for people to write it off.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aucklander
Where do you get these figures from? Can they be accurate?
At 30 June 2010, an estimated 566 815 New Zealand citizens were present in Australia.

Source : http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

Never going to be anything more than an estimate.

Latest figures I could find for Australians in NZ was 62,000. There are actually more Australians in the UK, some 97,000

NZ is second only to Eire in the percentage of its people living overseas, just under 1 in 5 Kiwi's have left NZ.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 3rd 2011 at 7:30 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:32 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aucklander
Yes that is what I understand also John Keys said the money would come from

Earthquake Commission

Insurance Companies

Reinsurance Companies

Then in addition to this there is ALSO the millions of $ donated by other generous countries, companies & individuals to Aid Agencies.

Christchurch will recover.
Very foolish for people to write it off.
Nobody is writing it off, you need to see it to believe what it's going through and the huge scale of work to be done - The earthquake commission is not a bottomless pit and will eventually run out of money. A natural disaster such as this could in fact send some insurance organisations under. It's worth bearing in mind what would NZ do should another big earthquake/natural disaster strike again in the next few years to another big centre it will cripple the country.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:34 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazmfc
Good Morning Everyone

Headline news in the Times this morning is about the relaxation of benefits for EU migrants coming into the UK. The powers that be in Europe have decided the UK can not refuse a foreign migrant access to benefits and the UK government can do nothing about it. Consequently it means over 100,000 people currently based in the UK without work will be eligible to claim up to £250 per person per week. That's £1.3 Billion per year! But how many will travel to the UK on the back of that ruling!!

It also allows an adult to claim child benefits for every child even if the children are not resident in the UK! Just think what UK child benefits will buy you in Lithuania, Slovenia, Estonia or Latvia not to mention possible new EU member states Albania, Croatia or Macedonia? Expect another massive influx of EU migrants into the UK very soon. Its a national disgrace that we are powerless to stop and that I believe will end in major civil unrest in the UK in years to come.

The official net migration figure in to/out of the UK since 1997 is +3 million with an expected population of 71 Million by 2030. The unofficial figures for both statistics are far far in excess of those documented and given 350,000 British born people are leaving each year the demographics of the UK population will change massively in that time.

Last one out switch out the light!!
Easy to fix.

Change the benefit system (for all) and cut out child benefit - it doesn't exist here. If the policy isn't working for the country then change it rather than exclude people.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P18PPS
What to do to kick the economy into action and how is NZ going to get out of the potential hole it's falling into, how is it going to pay for Christchurch? and what if another quake happens soon? the emergency quake funds are going to be virtually non-existent, if for, god forbid, Wellington or Auckland got hit.
That's a nightmare scenario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.