Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Time to come clean.........

Time to come clean.........

Old May 30th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Time to come clean.........

Ok so i couldn't stay away for ever..........

Used to post here under another name until we received residency when i signed off. Looked back in a few weeks ago and decided a new name was the best way forward as the old one had kind of lost its relevance.

So Teambwr47 is my new user name and i'll PM a mod to delete the old one.

TeamBWR is our motorcycle race team and i used to be number 47 when i started out which is where the name come from.

Anyone here interested in coming along to watch some racing or supporting a brit racing in New Zealand will soon be able to check out our team website. The website is currently under construction and will have loads of detail about my racing in it within the next few weeks along with race reports etc. I'll post the link here when its done.

Luckily we've managed on the back of my UK wins and championships to pick up sponsorship from a number of companies including Yamaha NZ but are always looking for further support.

Anyone interested in keeping in touch with my racing and receiving race reports etc will be able to log an interest within the next week or so at the site, or you can PM me here and i'll put you on our newsletter list, meaning you will get emailed rece reports etc.

Last edited by teambwr47; May 30th 2008 at 11:58 pm.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time to come clean.........

Just as a taster to those that may be interested...... here's the race report from our first ever race meeting in New Zealand.....

The second race report will be completed by the end of this weekend following the first round of the NZ winter series at Taupo.

-----------------------------------------

So, after much thinking about get back to racing I finally did over the weekend entering the Auckland MCC meeting at Pukekohe. While I’ve done a fair bit of racing in the UK and done ok there, this was to be my first ever race in New Zealand having moved here with my family in July 2007.

For those that don’t know me I last raced two years ago (April 2006) and that last race finished not exactly in the way I would have wished with a huge crash out of 2nd place in a UK 6 hour endurance race at Brands Hatch . The crash resulted in some serious injuries including a broken neck, arm, shoulder and a number of other things. All now seem healed up to a state they are not an issue when riding other than a reminder of how painful racing can be!

Since being here in NZ we’ve made friends with a few guys who are new to racing this year and I was fortunate enough to be lent one of their bikes, a CBR600RR about a month ago for two sessions at a Pukekohe test day and thankfully felt very comfy being back on a bike. After the my crash the immediate feelings were retire from racing but those feelings disappear over time and with a move to NZ came a rekindling of the need to ride bikes, or rather, race them. We’ve been quite fortunate here to have had a number of people agree to support us and after much discussion a new 2008 Yamaha R6 was delivered to me with the support of Yamaha New Zealand and Motosxtreme Yamaha in late February.

Unfortunately due to being owed some cash in Europe the funds to race the new bike took a while to be available meaning that its only in the last 4 weeks that we’ve got around to getting the bike ready for the track.

The R6 was delivered with just 3kms on the clock and after failing to get a dry test day to run it on the bike was delivered to Dave Cole to be built, eventually to a full spec Sport Production 600. My target at that time was to make the last two AMCC rounds and then run at some winter series races before entering next seasons AMCC in full plus the Nationals. I hoped that most of the parts I knew we needed to source could be bought and fitted in time….wrong!

As ever with racing time flies and before I knew it the weekend of the AMCC was here…. Our bike however was far from ready, still waiting for race suspension, exhaust system, power commander, engine work, bodywork etc etc.

The Ohlins suspension ordered for the bike from Robert Taylor was not due to arrive in NZ until mid april but he was able to supply a damper for the weekend. Thanks go to Dave Cole who while track prepping the bike offered to fashion on some old 2006 fairings that Sam Smith/Midge Smart had used until the 2008 bodywork arrives. So except for a race chain, clip-ons our new R6 would have to run as virtually a standard road bike for my first race here. At least we were full spec so far as tyres were concerned as having secured a Dunlop contract, a set of D209’s with an Ntec rear adorned the shiny new wheels.

Not fancing riding a brand new bike for the first time in morning practice I managed to get on the Friday test day and picked up the bike from Dave on route to the track. On track I tried to restrict myself to increasing rev limits to give the bike a short run in period before exploring the rev range fully during the day. The day was quiet in terms of bikes with maybe about 10 bikes on track.
As my last set of leathers were cut off me in the UK due the seriousness of the my ‘incident’ there, the test day let me break in a set of Tecnic leathers and gloves supplied by Whites Powersports along with a lovely Shoei X-Spirit helmet. The ‘Accelerator’ suit felt great in terms of fit and comfort and the Shoei Helmet as ever is a quality piece of kit. Managed to do four sessions during the day and the bike felt good as the pace increased with me trying different lines and gears at various parts of the track.

Having done two car track days at Pukekohe I did know roughly what the lines were but on the bike it was like starting all over again and boy does the place seem bumpy on the bike compared to the comfort of a tin box!!!!
Overall the test day went well, I spent the sessions just getting used to riding again and learning what the R6 felt like in terms of throttle and suspension feel etc. Didn’t touch the suspension at all during the day as I thought I’d try and get used to the bike and track first and gradually raise the pace seeing how the bike responded. Actually the standard suspension on ‘out of the crate’ settings felt quite good for the pace I was running which was somewhere around 1.06’s. As rain was at that stage forecast for race day I finished early to rush up to Motosxtreme with some borrowed spare wheels (thanks to Dave again) to get some Dunlop wets fitted.

So onto race day.....
Got down to the track at 0730 and set up our awning and tools etc as well as two banners for Motosxtreme. My two semi team mates Russ Rutan (R1) and Richard Prowse (GSXR1000) arrived shortly after and off we went to enter and get scrutineered. After a little issue with the scrut not being able to see the lock wired sump plug, which meant removing the lower fairing, the bike passed and we were off to timed practice. For my first race I’d decided to enter both Formula Auckland and Formula 2 partly for more practice/track time but also because I wanted to race against Russ and Richard.

Formual Auckland practice.
This session I was in a group for a while and felt fairly comfy with the pace which felt very similar to the previous days test. Put in about 5 laps at pace and then thought I’d save pushing harder for the F2 session. My best time in the session was a 1.05.65 which was a bit disappointing but I knew was something I could improve on for the F2 session.

Formula 2 practice.
This was the session I needed to push in and managed to get out on my own initially but with some riders ahead as targets to try and catch. Started to try and attack turn 1 a bit harder and also the run from the hairpin to ford mountain and still feeling fairly comfortable caught up with a few other riders and realised that my pace around from turn 1 to the back straight through the complex was a fair bit faster than those ahead of me which was encouraging. Got back to the pits and discovered my fastest lap was early in the session while catching the riders ahead of me to set a 1.03.89. for 8th .
After this session we sat down in the pits and kind of set a target for the day and I thought getting into the 1.02’s was the goal.

Formula Auckland race1.
Well first off I’ve obviously forgotten how to start a 600. When I raced supersport in the UK my starts used to be fairly good but the knack of holding a full throttle and fiding that bite point on the clutch comes with practice and I’d not done a 600cc race start for over two years….
As the lights went out I thought I had plenty of revs on but as I fed the clutch in the bike bogged and into the first turn the whole field seemed ahead. Nevermind, time to get my head down and hunt down some of those ahead. Within just a few laps I got close up behind Ricky McKay who was in turn close behind my mate Richard Prowse on a GSXR1000. Richard was riding well but both me and Ricky were all over him through the twisty bits only to be frustrated as the 1000 blasted down the straights. This went on for a few laps before Ricky got past with two laps to go at which point I knew I had to get past. Still learning where the 600 could carry corner speed over the 1000 I could see the run toward the Ford mountain was a good chance and lined Richard up for the pass with 1 lap to go. Pushed the R6 around the outside the turn before Ford and thought ‘move done’ but Richard had not seen me coming and while I was right along side him he leant in with us touching. Now your teamate is not the rider you’d like to bash fairings with at any time but on the entry to Ford mountain is not good. Luckily it was a light touch and no damage done. The move was enough to let me get away and finish 9th with a best of 1.03.68.

Formula 2 race 1
Yet another crap start not helped this time by my start place being tight to the left of the track edge but mainly due to me just not getting the clutch/throttle right. Got latched onto the back of a group which for most of the race was close ahead of me but as the race went on was me and Johnny Burkhart. The race just seemed to be me trying to get around Johnny which I failed to do finishing 2 secs back of him after a poor last few laps. My fastest time in the race was a 1.03.03 which was a step in the right direction for 9th. One thing that was painfully obvious in this race was that my bike lacked striaghtline speed with the R6 struggling to stay with GSXR on the back straight. My normal strong point is braking but my standard front end somewhat hindered my attempts at outbraking for the hairpin. Still the race was fun and the 1.02 target was not far off.

Formula Auckland race 2.

Good race this, one which I enjoyed a lot even though it was hugely frustrating in many ways. The start was ok with me getting away reasonably and carrying a power wheelie for quite a way before going around the outside of a few including my team mate Richard at turn 1. Out onto the back straight I got behind McKay who seemed to miss a gear and lose speed meaning I had to shut off briefly spoiling my speed down the straight slightly. Richard and a few 1000’s blasted past but when we got to braking the sight of a GSXR with its rear wheel wagging in the air was one to behold…..lol
I looked at the bikes turning in and thought my teamate was going to take out at least 2 but somehow he threaded a gap and crashed into the gravel. Thankfully he was fine as was the bike.
Once again I was behind Burkhart for a number of laps with Steve Wood just ahead and we circulated together for a number of laps before McKay got past me on the power down the straight. I then ended up spending the next few laps trying to get past the two of them actually managing to get alongside a few times off the ford mountain only to lose out on the straights. This was a great little battle for lap after lap but despite being tucked up right behind them at the flag I had to settle for 10th and a best of 1.02.48 which meant the target time was achieved.

Formula 2 race 2

Better start but still not good but at least got away with the group and passed Mckay to get into 7th on lap 2 and once again the story of the day was my bike welded to the back of Johnny Burkharts Suzuki. Laps ticked by and despite the problems I had with braking on the standard forks I knew I had to get past at the hairpin to make the best of seemingly better pace over the section from there to the ford mountain. About two laps from the end with Steve Wood just ahead of me and Burkhart, I made a dive for a ‘last of late brakers’ move at the hairpin and got past only to miss getting into 1st gear. Trying to drive out in 2nd I lost the place on the exit and some ground on the two of them who went on to finish a second in front of me with Burkhart getting 5th in the end and me 7th with a best lap of 1.02.53.

Formula Auckland race 3

Gave this a miss as started to feel tired and wanted to save some energy for the last F2 race. It’s a long time since I’ve ridden and raced and I was surprised how un-bike-fit I felt compared to when raced in the UK.

Formula 2 race 3
Not feeling super fit, (have I ever I wonder) I got away fairly well and was with the lead group to the hairpin where I got slightly held up by the coming together of Nick Odermatt and another bike. As we came out of the hairpin I was behind Steve Wood and followed him for a few laps before he got black flagged, apparently for dropping oil. I looked ahead and thought I could catch Burkhart but then looked behind to see a huge gap behind and very unlike me decided to settle for the place and take it easy to the end……I’m obviously getting old!!! At the finish I took a very easy 5th place having a kept a close eye on Odermatt making his way back from the first lap incident. The lap time was well down at 1.03.5 but in my mind was ‘its been a great day take it easy!”

So to sum up…….

Despite the bike being basically fresh out of the showroom other than the borrowed bodywork etc it went very well I think. The bike was left pretty much 'out of the box standard' for the race weekend and makes you wonder how much better can standard road bike become over time. The fastest F2 lap of the whole day was a 1.01.03 and my fastest lap was a 1.02.48. The placings were not really what I wanted but I need to remember the spec of the bike and look forward to the next meeting when I hope we’ll have a fully Ohlins kitted bike and also have the motor better sorted with a full Graves Works system, power commander, air filter and Dave Coles prep.
I was encouraged by the fact that my pace and corner speed seemed to be ok on the weekend while we seemed to struggle on just power and braking stability which is something which we can sort. I now need to further learn the track, regain my old overtaking confidence the hopefully add in the time improvement that the planned mods to the bike can bring and I reckon with a bit of luck we could be in the mix for the front few places soon.

Just like to say a big thankyou to MotosXtreme, Yamaha NZ, Dunlop, Teknic, Shoei, RK and last but not least Dave Cole.

Cheers to all who I shared the track with and see ya all soon…..

Brian Wood
Sport Production 28

Last edited by teambwr47; May 31st 2008 at 12:05 am.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice

Why would you put a site online without it complete? you do know that people decide to stay on your site in the first 30 seconds?

I dont want to sound like a knob by the way, but i understand the need to get your info out quick, but the site is better being up and running before it goes live

When i saw Time to come clean, i thought you had done something wrong lol - i was like omfg the guy killed thier neighbour hahahahha

good luck fella
Old May 31st 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

You're right of course and for now i've removed the site.......

Will post the website details soon when its all singing/dancing.....
Old May 31st 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
Ok so i couldn't stay away for ever..........

Used to post here under another name until we received residency when i signed off. Looked back in a few weeks ago and decided a new name was the best way forward as the old one had kind of lost its relevance.

So Teambwr47 is my new user name and i'll PM a mod to delete the old one.

TeamBWR is our motorcycle race team and i used to be number 47 when i started out which is where the name come from.

Anyone here interested in coming along to watch some racing or supporting a brit racing in New Zealand will soon be able to check out our team website. The website is currently under construction and will have loads of detail about my racing in it within the next few weeks along with race reports etc. I'll post the link here when its done.

Luckily we've managed on the back of my UK wins and championships to pick up sponsorship from a number of companies including Yamaha NZ but are always looking for further support.

Anyone interested in keeping in touch with my racing and receiving race reports etc will be able to log an interest within the next week or so at the site, or you can PM me here and i'll put you on our newsletter list, meaning you will get emailed rece reports etc.
I am still a bit addicted to this site and was so admiring your willpower in signing off and staying away for so long Welcome back!