Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This time 2 years ago....

This time 2 years ago....

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default This time 2 years ago....

...we had 4 days left in the UK. I remember we stayed with my parents for the last few days as the container had been and gone.... and the house rented out. We'd sold OH's car and he had bought an old banger to get about it.... made a small profit on it too. I kept my Smart car up until the day before we left as a lady who lives opposite my parents bought it from me. It was so sad knowing I would be leaving but exciting too. Everyone supported our decision to leave and most said "you lucky sods.."

My family has never been very lovey-dovey or huggy and I thought I'd handle leaving OK but when it came down to the last minute I hugged my dad and cried my eyes out..... it was the most painful thing I've ever done. They hired us a limo type thing and a driver to take us to LHR as I told them I didnt want them to come to the airport. I cried nearly all the way there and the driver mustve thought I was a bit odd.

I will do a 2 year update at some point but just lately I'm just wanting to go back and see everyone as I miss them so much so maybe I'll wait til I'm in a stronger frame of mind.

Good luck to everyone about to come to NZ.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This time 2 years ago....

Originally Posted by SarahB
...we had 4 days left in the UK. I remember we stayed with my parents for the last few days as the container had been and gone.... and the house rented out. We'd sold OH's car and he had bought an old banger to get about it.... made a small profit on it too. I kept my Smart car up until the day before we left as a lady who lives opposite my parents bought it from me. It was so sad knowing I would be leaving but exciting too. Everyone supported our decision to leave and most said "you lucky sods.."

My family has never been very lovey-dovey or huggy and I thought I'd handle leaving OK but when it came down to the last minute I hugged my dad and cried my eyes out..... it was the most painful thing I've ever done. They hired us a limo type thing and a driver to take us to LHR as I told them I didnt want them to come to the airport. I cried nearly all the way there and the driver mustve thought I was a bit odd.

I will do a 2 year update at some point but just lately I'm just wanting to go back and see everyone as I miss them so much so maybe I'll wait til I'm in a stronger frame of mind.

Good luck to everyone about to come to NZ.
doesn't time fly . look foward to the 2 yr update, hope you feel brighter soon.
feeling a bit crappy myself, had a text from best mate whos having man trouble, she was waiting for last train home & sounded really upset , just want to give her a big hug. I just hate it when shes like that as shes the most fantastic person.
(((hugs))) to you too hun xxxx
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:51 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you manage to get back for a holiday to see them soon. Big hugs xx
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
doesn't time fly . look foward to the 2 yr update, hope you feel brighter soon.
feeling a bit crappy myself, had a text from best mate whos having man trouble, she was waiting for last train home & sounded really upset , just want to give her a big hug. I just hate it when shes like that as shes the most fantastic person.
(((hugs))) to you too hun xxxx
Thanks!! Just before we left my best friend (whos got my horse and my OH's guinea pig!) told me she'd got breast cancer. It was hard leaving her....another painful moment I remember.

Ive been feeling a bit low for weeks now. I just want to go back and see everyone. My OH says he will pay for me if I really want to go back but I'm trying to last out til January when my folks come. Its a lot of money for me and 2 sprogs to go back just for a few weeks.

I feel really out of it at the moment.... my DS has started kindy and everyone seems to chat as they know each other, but I dont and I'm finding it really hard to get involved... everyone seems friendly enough and says hello but it doesnt go any further than that. I dont feel very confident at the moment to get out there and make friends.... just feel low and a bit pathetic....I need a kick up the backside really!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hope you manage to get back for a holiday to see them soon. Big hugs xx
Thanks.... I probably wont go back though as its such a lot of money. My folks will be out in January and then OH's folks hopefully will come out January 09.

We shouldve moved to Spain!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!! Just before we left my best friend (whos got my horse and my OH's guinea pig!) told me she'd got breast cancer. It was hard leaving her....another painful moment I remember.

Ive been feeling a bit low for weeks now. I just want to go back and see everyone. My OH says he will pay for me if I really want to go back but I'm trying to last out til January when my folks come. Its a lot of money for me and 2 sprogs to go back just for a few weeks.

I feel really out of it at the moment.... my DS has started kindy and everyone seems to chat as they know each other, but I dont and I'm finding it really hard to get involved... everyone seems friendly enough and says hello but it doesnt go any further than that. I dont feel very confident at the moment to get out there and make friends.... just feel low and a bit pathetic....I need a kick up the backside really!
i know that feeling too , had a similar thing when daughter switched to morning kindy, takes a while but its starting to come together again. Chin up honey it will get better, we all have our feeling down times & januarys ot that far away really (i'm gonna start christmas shopping soon!!!!)
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poppets
i know that feeling too , had a similar thing when daughter switched to morning kindy, takes a while but its starting to come together again. Chin up honey it will get better, we all have our feeling down times & januarys ot that far away really (i'm gonna start christmas shopping soon!!!!)
You just feel like an outsider again.... not very nice. I dont see many of my friends now as our kids have all gone to different kindys/pre-schools and our days dont coincide for get-togethers.

A friend here was saying last week she will be christmas shopping soon. My DS is going to get his first bike for christmas this year.... it will have to be tiny as hes only a dinky little chap.

By the time my parents get here Hayley will probably be walking !!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah, we've just had 4 weeks back in the UK. I was feeling unsettled due to my mam's health. But going back has closed many doors for us. I felt like I didn't belong there, hubby says that I did nowt but twist while we were there. It makes you realise what you've got here and why you left in the first place. Maybe a short break will help. I know it's an expense, but if it helps you to come back feeling settled and happier, it'll be worth it.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boopy
Sarah, we've just had 4 weeks back in the UK. I was feeling unsettled due to my mam's health. But going back has closed many doors for us. I felt like I didn't belong there, hubby says that I did nowt but twist while we were there. It makes you realise what you've got here and why you left in the first place. Maybe a short break will help. I know it's an expense, but if it helps you to come back feeling settled and happier, it'll be worth it.
Thanks, maybe. I'm trying not to go back as its so much money... and Id have to do the flight with a 3 year old who has ants in his pants and a 5 month old who just seems to sick up all day.... lol.....hmmmmm... mightve just convinced myself to stay here and let parents come to me!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, maybe. I'm trying not to go back as its so much money... and Id have to do the flight with a 3 year old who has ants in his pants and a 5 month old who just seems to sick up all day.... lol.....hmmmmm... mightve just convinced myself to stay here and let parents come to me!
Sometime's when you have a baby, your emotions go all over the place. Hopefully they'll settle down.
The day your parents come here is a good day to come - my birthday.
Have a double - it might help.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:01 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

So sorry to hear you're down as you're normally so upbeat. You'll make some new friends with the other kindy parents soon I'm sure, as you are such a friendly person. It's just such a horrible feeling when you feel lonely & isolated & missing everyone back home. Do you ever go into the city? I was just thinking that maybe we could meet up at Mission Bay or somewhere if you wanted. If not we can think of something else Hang in there Sarah.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:13 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear how you've been feeling. If it's any kind of weird consolation it reminds me of how I used to feel before we left the UK! We had moved my 7/8 year old last September to a new school. I admit I was working 3-4 days a week so rarely collected him, but when I did, not a sole spoke to me! (And I had washed, flossed et all!?) One day I wondered as my mind ran amok that maybe I'd got that old childhood wish come true, you know the one, where you're invisible?! No-one speaks to me at their school here either, but we've been here only 2 months and they've only been at school a couple of weeks. I start work tomorrow so it doesn't bother me! But in a school of 700 kids here as oppossed to a school of 30 and then 56 in the UK it makes it more understandable!

I've met loads of people on the course I went to in the first 2 weeks and have had a good few nights out. Some people I've met up with from here for coffee which has been really good to share experiences and knowledge.

We're not having a house warming, more spreading our having people we've met individually, as that way we'll feel more popular!

I've felt house sick, rather than homesick, as we've moved in to our new one here and the sale of our old one in the UK is imminent! Funny what you miss!

Do you ever venture this far to the coast? I'll PM you my number if you do and you can pop round for vino and tissues!

Chin up.

XXX

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Hi Sarah,

So sorry to hear you're down as you're normally so upbeat. You'll make some new friends with the other kindy parents soon I'm sure, as you are such a friendly person. It's just such a horrible feeling when you feel lonely & isolated & missing everyone back home. Do you ever go into the city? I was just thinking that maybe we could meet up at Mission Bay or somewhere if you wanted. If not we can think of something else Hang in there Sarah.