Timaru

Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Graham798 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timaru

Hi

Any thoughts on Timaru, we are looking for places to live close to a major port with access to an international airport. We are both in our 50s so looking for the quiet life with plenty of outdoors.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timaru

Hi Graham,

Sent you a long PM about this before I saw this thread Happy to answer any more specific questions you might have following that.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Graham798 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura

Unfortunately I haven't posted more than three posts so can't access you PM at the moment.

I'll give it a go now

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 9th 2014 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the PM for the benefit of other Timaru Hunters.

Timaru is a decent little town, it has a good swimming pool, a decent amount of shops in the centre, a swimming pool and a few bars. Living by the beach is okay too and I miss seeing the sea as much as I did now I am in Christchurch.

The main problems I had were twofold. 1. I don't drive so getting out of Timaru and basically anywhere else was extremely difficult and this led to me feeling isolated and 'stuck'. 2. I am in my late 20s/early 30s and single and there is a massive demographic hole in Timaru for people of my age group and situation. People move away once they've finished school and return once they have young familes. Because it's quite a small place it's also a little villagey as in it's not that easy to slot in. But I did get a warm welcome once I made an effort.

If you are used to small communities, are coming with someone else for company and can get yourself around you should be absolutely fine.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

sparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nice

Graham we have been in Timaru & New Zealand for almost two years. I am in my 50's wife's a bit younger and we have two teenagers. We love it here, yes its quite small but its fairly central for everything in the south island. Its two hours to Christchurch slightly longer to Dunedin. 45 minutes to an hour to be in the mountains. Shopping is a bit limited so we make regular trips south or North to keep the kids happy. Summers are normally hot but it does get chilly in the winter. Fishing is fantastic but as Laura said you will need a car to get around. If you need anything more specific let me know.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:21 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all

Hi All

We have been in AshVegas for 10months now in a rental and NEED to settle properly. we are thinking of moving to Timaru. We have an Aunt and Uncle there and enjoy it for weekend visits. It just seems to offer more for the money property wise than Ashburton.

Sparkywater - we are looking in Gleniti what are the other nicer areas of town ? or is it easier to note the least favourable areas?

Is ther an expat community in Timaru? we came here with the idea that we wouldnt throw ourselves into an expat scene as we wanted to immerse ourselves in NZ fully rather than thinking of home - but after 10 months we do long for a glass of wine and a yarn about blighty every now and then!

have a lovely weekend everyone
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LauraNotts View Post
Here is the PM for the benefit of other Timaru Hunters.

Timaru is a decent little town, it has a good swimming pool, a decent amount of shops in the centre, a swimming pool and a few bars. Living by the beach is okay too and I miss seeing the sea as much as I did now I am in Christchurch.

The main problems I had were twofold. 1. I don't drive so getting out of Timaru and basically anywhere else was extremely difficult and this led to me feeling isolated and 'stuck'. 2. I am in my late 20s/early 30s and single and there is a massive demographic hole in Timaru for people of my age group and situation. People move away once they've finished school and return once they have young familes. Because it's quite a small place it's also a little villagey as in it's not that easy to slot in. But I did get a warm welcome once I made an effort.

If you are used to small communities, are coming with someone else for company and can get yourself around you should be absolutely fine.

Hope this helps.
Must be a good Swimming pool after you mentioned it twice........
Old Aug 31st 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lol I realised I'd done that reading it back through recently. It is actually