Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Bookme Queenstown - Southern Lakes - Fiordland attractions and activities Book Onlineoften have some good offers.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 1:11 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
must say we much preferred Wanaka to Queenstown also. Think the kids preferred Queenstown just because it has the luge
We drove into Queenstown had a quick look and drove out to do Shotover and went straight to Wanaka......Queenstown is not for us!
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:51 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bev

What a treat to travel the south of the south island (not that I am bias, but it is blooming awesome ).

Here are just a few of my fave south of the south island.

A trip to Oamura is a must; the penguins and steam punk are a treat, as is a walk through the lovely the Victorian Precinct with all its little shops. We sort of got suckered into taking a penguin tour around Oamura when we visited in 2007, now we realise that’s not necessary and you can make your own way round. The bonus to getting suckered in was the driver gave us a fantastic map from Oamura to Queenstown using the back roads, (via Benmore Dam) if you would like it let me know and I’ll get it how to you.

Queenstown would be a crime to miss, if you don't fancy launching yourself off a bridge, there are some lovely cruises on the lake, million dollar cruise is quite nice. With Queenstown I am finding it increasingly difficult to find good accommodation which doesn’t cost the earth!!

And don't forget Arrowtown, just a 15 min drive it's extremely pretty and some lovely walks/cycle tracks. If time allows please don't miss the drive to Glenorchy, it is truly stunning. There are also enough wineries to keep you happy or visit Wine Tastes in the main to shopping part, it’s like a big pick and mix wine bar.

If you drive from Queenstown to Wanaka, go over the crown ranges, the view make it worth it.

If you get to Te Anau make sure you get to the glow worm caves, the wildlife park is worth a visit, and to walk some of the Kepler track would give you a good opportunity to stretch your legs. Also in the cinema, catch a show called Ata Whenua, Fiordland On Film, it is truly stunning. It lasts about 30 mins and something you can easily do before dinner.

As for Milford Sound, it is very much worth a visit, if you are driving yourself there are plenty of waterfalls etc to stop off and see. You don't need to do an overnight cruise, we went on one that lasted for about 2 hours, operated by Real Journeys. There is a Real Journeys booking office on the lake front in Te Anua, the people have always been very nice and helpful, however Real Journeys isn’t the only company to operate tours, so it might be worth shopping around a bit.

As for Dunedin, I work there a fair bit and if your friend likes shopping, they'll enjoy Dunedin. The albatross and penguins are worth it to (in fact the drive to them is worth it), personally I wouldn't bother with Larnack Castle, it is nice but I wouldn't bust a gut to go back. There are also the uni grounds and the wonderful train station, the botanical gardens are worth a stroll to, as to are the amazing beaches round the Dunedin.

Dunedin also has a Cadburys world, an ecosanctuary called Orokonui, and not forgetting the Otago Museum, can’t recommend them all enough.

The Moeraki Boulders just cannot be missed.

If you have the chance to drive any of the southern scenic route (Dunedin down to Invercargill, then Invercargill up to Te Anua), go for it. Plenty of stop offs, bush walk, lakes, waterfalls and beaches, there are plenty of locals to see, dolphins, seals, penguins.

Wanaka and Tekapo are wonderful, Wanaka has become my favourite place to visit. It has a lovely vibe, loads of walking tracks, some fine restaurants and bars, lots to do in the evenings, including the very quirky Cinema Paridiso. Whilst I like Queenstown I just always feel too old to be there and I am only 37 Wanaka is much nicer, more laid back and calmer.

Tekapo has hot spring so take your bathers, again enough walking tracks and local places to visit to really make it worth the travel. When we went we headed off to Mount Cook, and for once the sun was out. Also you can book a trip to the observatory and go star gazing; we didn’t manage to do that, so we will just have to go back.

I would give Cromwell a miss, unless you like motorsport, I hear the new circuit and museum is worth a look. There is lots of history around Cromwell, flooding part of it to build the dam etc etc.

We have twice caught the tranz alpine from Greymouth to Christchurch. The second time we just wished we had driven, the train journey us utterly stunning, but then I have been told so is the drive. We left our hire car in Greymouth as do a fair few people i think. It is worth it, you seem to go from forest to lake to mountains and back again in a few hours.

Or you could just to the sensible thing and fly straight to Invercargill, the Las Vages of New Zealand
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DandJMay
Hi Bev

What a treat to travel the south of the south island (not that I am bias, but it is blooming awesome ).

A trip to Oamura is a must; the penguins and steam punk are a treat, as is a walk through the lovely the Victorian Precinct with all its little shops. We sort of got suckered into taking a penguin tour around Oamura when we visited in 2007, now we realise that’s not necessary and you can make your own way round. The bonus to getting suckered in was the driver gave us a fantastic map from Oamura to Queenstown using the back roads, (via Benmore Dam) if you would like it let me know and I’ll get it how to you.

Queenstown would be a crime to miss, if you don't fancy launching yourself off a bridge, there are some lovely cruises on the lake, million dollar cruise is quite nice. With Queenstown I am finding it increasingly difficult to find good accommodation which doesn’t cost the earth!!

And don't forget Arrowtown, just a 15 min drive it's extremely pretty and some lovely walks/cycle tracks. If time allows please don't miss the drive to Glenorchy, it is truly stunning. There are also enough wineries to keep you happy or visit Wine Tastes in the main to shopping part, it’s like a big pick and mix wine bar.

If you drive from Queenstown to Wanaka, go over the crown ranges, the view make it worth it.

If you get to Te Anau make sure you get to the glow worm caves, the wildlife park is worth a visit, and to walk some of the Kepler track would give you a good opportunity to stretch your legs. Also in the cinema, catch a show called Ata Whenua, Fiordland On Film, it is truly stunning. It lasts about 30 mins and something you can easily do before dinner.

As for Milford Sound, it is very much worth a visit, if you are driving yourself there are plenty of waterfalls etc to stop off and see. You don't need to do an overnight cruise, we went on one that lasted for about 2 hours, operated by Real Journeys. There is a Real Journeys booking office on the lake front in Te Anua, the people have always been very nice and helpful, however Real Journeys isn’t the only company to operate tours, so it might be worth shopping around a bit.

As for Dunedin, I work there a fair bit and if your friend likes shopping, they'll enjoy Dunedin. The albatross and penguins are worth it to (in fact the drive to them is worth it), personally I wouldn't bother with Larnack Castle, it is nice but I wouldn't bust a gut to go back. There are also the uni grounds and the wonderful train station, the botanical gardens are worth a stroll to, as to are the amazing beaches round the Dunedin.

Dunedin also has a Cadburys world, an ecosanctuary called Orokonui, and not forgetting the Otago Museum, can’t recommend them all enough.

If you have the chance to drive any of the southern scenic route (Dunedin down to Invercargill, then Invercargill up to Te Anua), go for it. Plenty of stop offs, bush walk, lakes, waterfalls and beaches, there are plenty of locals to see, dolphins, seals, penguins.

Wanaka and Tekapo are wonderful, Wanaka has become my favourite place to visit. It has a lovely vibe, loads of walking tracks, some fine restaurants and bars, lots to do in the evenings, including the very quirky Cinema Paridiso. Whilst I like Queenstown I just always feel too old to be there and I am only 37 Wanaka is much nicer, more laid back and calmer.

Tekapo has hot spring so take your bathers, again enough walking tracks and local places to visit to really make it worth the travel. When we went we headed off to Mount Cook, and for once the sun was out. Also you can book a trip to the observatory and go star gazing; we didn’t manage to do that, so we will just have to go back.

I would give Cromwell a miss, unless you like motorsport, I hear the new circuit and museum is worth a look. There is lots of history around Cromwell, flooding part of it to build the dam etc etc.

We have twice caught the tranz alpine from Greymouth to Christchurch. The second time we just wished we had driven, the train journey us utterly stunning, but then I have been told so is the drive. We left our hire car in Greymouth as do a fair few people i think. It is worth it, you seem to go from forest to lake to mountains and back again in a few hours.

Or you could just to the sensible thing and fly straight to Invercargill, the Las Vages of New Zealand
Agree with the above, and with Stormer. I wouldn't bother with Invercargill and south of Q/town unless you have more time as the scenery doesn't improve so not really worth the extra travel. Oamaru is lovely if you have time, but if not Timaru is a perfect alternative. By the way, you lot are making me homesick
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by outback sunset
Agree with the above, and with Stormer. I wouldn't bother with Invercargill and south of Q/town unless you have more time as the scenery doesn't improve so not really worth the extra travel. Oamaru is lovely if you have time, but if not Timaru is a perfect alternative. By the way, you lot are making me homesick
Aw. That's nice really. I feel like that when I read about Dorset and surrounds.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 10:21 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandJMay
Hi Bev

I'm also a passionate South Islander who recommends seeing as much of it as you can, but as always you somehow need to fit it into a schedule. My recommendations are to focus on say 3 or 4 of the biggies and make the best of them and their locations (my personal top ones, and prioritised, would be Fiordland/Te Anau, Dunedin/Oamaru, Mt Cook/Mckenzie Country, Queenstown/Wanaka, Glaciers).

I have excluded Catlins/Southern Scenic Route and Stewart Island only because they need some decent time investment, not something you can readily fit in to a one week schedule.

Nelson/Marlborough attractions I'm assuming you will do from your lovely home base.

Akaroa and other parts of Banks Peninsula I've really enjoyed too (in past visits), but I'm worried that Akaroa may not be as quaint as it once was with the cruise boats now calling there. Locals can advise on that?

Milford Sound road and boat trip is a bit like the grand canyon, it always seems to exceed visitor expectations.

One rough itinerary I might recommend if you wanted to be really agressive and see almost everything:
Day one drive to Glaciers
Day two visit glaciers and drive through to Wanaka
Day three Qtown
Day four Milford trip returning to Te Anau
Day five to Dunedin
Day six to Oamaru
Day seven Mt Cook, Twizel or Tekapo

Is a big road trip though.

I've done the west coast a couple of times in the last 10 years, and now recommend driving quickly past most of it north of Hokitika. The better stuff is all at the southern end. East Coast road from Oamaru to Christchurch is boring - either drive quickly through, or head up the Waitaki to Mt Cook on the inland route. The road through the McKenzie Country is one of my favourites.

Last edited by southerner; Jan 25th 2015 at 10:22 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 25th 2015, 10:28 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Aw. That's nice really. I feel like that when I read about Dorset and surrounds.
Hi Bevs
Spent a day very recently in New Forest and up towards Cranborne Chase - is sure a nice part of the world.

Reminded me of some nice holidays we enjoyed down in the Purbecks and points further west. You'll be a fan of Hugh from River Cottage I presume?
Old Jan 25th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Hi Bevs
Spent a day very recently in New Forest and up towards Cranborne Chase - is sure a nice part of the world.

Reminded me of some nice holidays we enjoyed down in the Purbecks and points further west. You'll be a fan of Hugh from River Cottage I presume?
You must have visited areas close to Fordingbridge, Alderholt etc where I grew up as a wee young boy.

Anyway back to some advice for the holiday trip

I see that Glow Worms have been mentioned. There's plenty up where you are! I recommend a trip to Lochmara Lodge in the Sounds (I'll see the Island we went to that had Glow Worms, Eels, Whales etc) and perhaps a night there. We just did a day trip there when we stopped at Smiths Farm but wished we had a night. Lovely place

You have got to drive down State Highway 6 from Nelson to Queenstown, it's a no brainer in my opinion. Whilst the boss was away, I took a 5 day trip on that road and stunning is putting it nicely. There's so many places to stop over including the abandoned wild west town known as Hokitika or the stunning Wanaka nearer the end. Haast is also a unique place to stop off at

You have to take the friends to Queenstown and get them to do a luge and some other thrill seeking activities if they like that stuff. If not, there's always Arrowtown which is lovely to go to. If they're into their golf, they must play Arrowtown or Jacks Point if they have the time.

If you're having to end in Christchurch, i'd go back up via Lake Tekapo as that is a stunning place. You stop off at Lake Punakiki on your way up which is so blue and can see Mount Cook from there. You could stop at Mount Cook if you want which is a 92km de tour but it can be worth it. There are planes near Lake Tekapo where you can fly over the glacier, mount cook and lake tekapo - not sure how much they charge.

Dunedin, Oamaru and Timaru are nice places but the drive on State Highway 1 is boring. It doesn't have the scenery that State Highway 6 and 8 has. That's my personal choice anyway.

Just make sure they book the Sudina Hotel on their last night so they can walk to the airport for the flight home. I recommend that more than the Commodore.

Queenstown can sort her shopping habit. There's plenty of shops there that sell a lot of novelty if she's into that sort of thing.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Tasman national park, arthurs pass, kaikoura and hamner springs
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:29 pm
`

Originally Posted by julesnye
Tasman national park, arthurs pass, kaikoura and hamner springs
Thanks Julesnye but we did all that with them last time.

Anyway, seems they have been pulling names out of a hat based on what some travel agent has been telling them.

I asked them to name a couple of 'must see' this time if they never return to NZ again. He mentioned Franz Josef . She had no preferences at all.
I'm not sure Franz josef is worth it TBH. We didn't really rate it in 1997.

So. I am back to thinking we leg it down the West Coast and hope to get to Wanaka perhaps. Or Queenstown? Is that possible?

Then up to Tekapo and then to Christchurch where I think they wish to see what there is of the city now. Last time they were here the cordons were still up.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to remember how long we spent on my first visit when MrS took me to all of the sites south of Chch. It all panned out well. Unfortunately my hard drive with the photos is currently residing in a box in a room full of boxes...I'd be able to tell how long we took from them

We stopped at Fox and Franz Josef glaciers and spent a night there, we walked up towards Fox [or FG!], one was more impressive. You could just drive past and have a look, that might be all they want to do.

We then went to Wanaka, stayed the night. Visited Puzzle world the next day which is fun for adults and has a time wasting maze in it [both times we've given up and exited via the side door after 30mins] It is a pretty little town in its own right and less touristy than Arrowtown and Queenstown.
Worth a visit and I second the drive over the Crown Ranges as well, fantastic scenery.
Queenstown is very scenic, the luge is great fun if you haven't tried it.

We drove from Q/town to Te Anau and went to the glowworms that evening. The following day we drove to Milford Sound and took a 2-3 hour boat ride. The drive to Milford Sound is worth taking your time over: stunning! Warn your visitors that it usually rains in Milford so to bring some wet weather clothing. It was cloudy the day we went but it added to the views: dark forbidding clouds with the occasional shaft of sunlight breaking through.
I can't remember if we stayed in te Anau or Q/town after the boat trip.

I also found Lindis Pass very scenic.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 1:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Argh! I need to fit in glow worms too now..
Although they are not nearly as spectacular as the Te Anau ones, if they want to see glow worms and there isn't time to go to Te Anau, an overnight or evening stop in Hokitika can include a visit to the glow worms, and the ones in Hokitika are free to see, and a short walk from the town centre or a stop on the main road.

Be aware that the drive to and from Milford Sound is bloody long and windy and takes hours and hours both ways!!! Lovely once you're there though.

BB
Old Jan 30th 2015, 1:57 am
`

THanks Buzz.

Have you ever done the drive from Nelson to Queenstown?

Not sure we could actually get down to Milford unless we flew into Queenstown and then did a one way car hire to get them back to Christchurch for their flight out. All jolly well expensive .
Old Jan 30th 2015, 2:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

THanks Buzz.

Have you ever done the drive from Nelson to Queenstown?
No, not in one trip.

I have driven Christchurch - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford - Arrowtown - Queenstown - Fox Glacier - Hokitika - Christchurch in 5 days in a campervan.

I have also driven Hokitika - Franz Josef - Queenstown - Invercargill - (plane) Stewart Island (plane) - Invercargill - Oamaru - Dunedin - Mount Cook - Christchurch - Hokitika in about 8 days.

BB
Old Jan 30th 2015, 2:47 am
`

HHHmm. Mapua - Hokitika 5 hours approx.

What is the drive like Queenstown - Te Anau please? I can't remember. It's been over 15 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.