Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thought i would introduce myself

Thought i would introduce myself

Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:08 pm
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future
Default Thought i would introduce myself

Hi Guys
My name is Clair and my family and i moved to New Zealand five and a half years ago.
I grew up in Devon, moved to Stockport which drove us out of the coutry completely
We have two boys and we enjoy living here, although their are things i miss about UK.
Have only just found this site thanks to my mum Shirl. To all those coming to New Zealand, i wish you well, i know it is a huge decision and a huge move but it is undoubtably a very beautiful country.
I look forward to getting to know you all and swapping experiances etc.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thought i would introduce myself

Originally Posted by clair73
Hi Guys
My name is Clair and my family and i moved to New Zealand five and a half years ago.
I grew up in Devon, moved to Stockport which drove us out of the coutry completely
We have two boys and we enjoy living here, although their are things i miss about UK.
Have only just found this site thanks to my mum Shirl. To all those coming to New Zealand, i wish you well, i know it is a huge decision and a huge move but it is undoubtably a very beautiful country.
I look forward to getting to know you all and swapping experiances etc.
Welcome Clair, nice of you to join this happy and very knowledgeable site.
Five and a half years! you will be very useful to those of us that are not quite there yet. Be very interested to hear your views on NZ, we seem to be hearing alot more lately of people coming back to the UK as its too expensive. As a family of 4 very excited about moving we are interested in hearing of peoples experiences! Welcome all feedback both negative and positive, we are making this lifetime change but are going with our eyes wide open and not with 'rose tinted' glasses!!
Chris.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:10 am
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

Hi Chris
I have heard that homesickness kicks in year 2 and 5. I never felt homesick in year 2 as i went back for holiday and was reminded why i left. This year i have felt the pangs, but have decided against moving back. The things i miss are the small fishing towns in Cornwall, the country pubs, the history and heritage. I miss my best friend.
BUT New Zealand no matter where you travel you are blown away by the beauty. It is amazing raw country. Yes we get nasty things on the news, killings etc but most of it is in the North Island. And lets face it no matter where you go you will get that kinda thing. But my kids have a lot of freedom, and lots going on. Sport is huge here and it is also VERY family orientated.

I think also the reasons i have felt homesick this year is because i moved from Timaru to Christchurch, have been in Christchurch a year now and because my boys are older and more independant i am not meeting people as much as i did through school. But hopefully that will change coming on this board and meeting new people. and also i have gone back to full time study, Travel and Toursim and i will soon be out in the work place

If you are coming to earn money good money...stay where you are....if you are coming for a better way of life you are on the right track.
You will also be in a great position if you are selling a house and making some money on it. As you probably know your money goes a little bit further out here.
You have to come for the way of life though, to better your standard of living.
If you are anywhere near chch let me know, we can all meet up for something to eat and i would be more than willing to help you settle in.
I think more important for wife and kids to feel settled.....or so i am told by many husbands lol

Good Luck
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris
I have heard that homesickness kicks in year 2 and 5. I never felt homesick in year 2 as i went back for holiday and was reminded why i left. This year i have felt the pangs, but have decided against moving back. The things i miss are the small fishing towns in Cornwall, the country pubs, the history and heritage. I miss my best friend.
BUT New Zealand no matter where you travel you are blown away by the beauty. It is amazing raw country. Yes we get nasty things on the news, killings etc but most of it is in the North Island. And lets face it no matter where you go you will get that kinda thing. But my kids have a lot of freedom, and lots going on. Sport is huge here and it is also VERY family orientated.

I think also the reasons i have felt homesick this year is because i moved from Timaru to Christchurch, have been in Christchurch a year now and because my boys are older and more independant i am not meeting people as much as i did through school. But hopefully that will change coming on this board and meeting new people. and also i have gone back to full time study, Travel and Toursim and i will soon be out in the work place

If you are coming to earn money good money...stay where you are....if you are coming for a better way of life you are on the right track.
You will also be in a great position if you are selling a house and making some money on it. As you probably know your money goes a little bit further out here.
If you are anywhere near chch let me know, we can all meet up for something to eat and i would be more than willing to help you settle in.
I think more important for wife and kids to feel settled.....or so i am told by many husbands lol

Good Luck
Welcome to the group Clair - I am sure you have many wise words to speak to those already here and those that are thinking of coming or indeed are in the process. Your advice on schooling and footie etc will be most welcome to those enquiring of Christchurch or Timaru!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Chris

Good Luck
Hi Clair
many thanks for your lovely reply. You sound like I will prbably be if and when we get there. I think we all need to look at things in differents ways and not to give up on them too easily.! We are coming for lifestyle and hopefully to give our boys 11 and 13 a better standard of life and safer enviroment. We our aware wages are lower but we are just hopeful to have at least money left in the bank at the end of the month!! If we do end up down your way I'd love to meet up for a chat.
Cheers Chris
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:21 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Yes, making friends when your children are not of school age is difficult. We arrived on the 1st January 2008. My boys are 23 & 19, so I don't have the usual networks of schools to meet others. Meeting people is a slow process, you have no 'common denominators' to start conversations. Not so easy

Keep Happy
Pauline

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 9th 2008 at 10:46 pm. Reason: sort quotes for easier reading
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum Clair. Have some welcome karma to get you started.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:39 am
only love is real

Hi Guys

Chris if you are down this way please feel free to get in touch and we would be more than happy to meet you and your family. My boys are nine and thirteen so i am sure they will have a lot in comman.

Pauline, yes it is hard, and my heart goes out to you too. I personally am a people person so i hate not knowing many people, so now i am in full time study if ever i get invitations to go out, i am there this weekend it is a girls night out, a meal and then the movies to watch sex in the city, shame you are not in chch i would of dragged you along :-)

Bevs thanks for the welcome and the karma
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:43 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clair
Welcome to BE I met Shirl last week and again yesterday for coffee with HJMilligan. She's just lovely and is so very proud of you, indeed all her children. She mentioned you were in a lull so I just wanted to say well done for coming on here - am sure you'll get plenty of support and with all your local knowledge and experience will be able to offer sound advice to those seeking answers. I'm 39 and have two children, a daughter aged 13 and a son aged 12. We've been here just over a year now and settled in Rangiora 2 weeks after we landed. I love this town not just because it has everything you need, but because the people are so friendly. When we were first here and OH was working and kids had gone to school I was just on my own and not really knowing anyone. I used to walk down to the town everyday just to talk to any random person and was amazed that the shop assistants and just people on the street were all too willing to stop and pass the time of day and offer advice. I met up with Sky, who used to post on here and shortly after HJMilligan. That helped heaps. It was so nice having that support in the early days and we remain good friends and regularly meet up for coffee and a natter. We are also lucky that we have really good neighbours; everyone seems to help everyone else out. Maybe next time you're free you could come along with Shirl, more the merrier!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:06 pm
only love is real

Ah thank you for your kind words, i have heard all about you too, mum thinks you are both lovely, it would be lovely to catch up in the holidays look forward to meeting you both