Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thought it couldn't get any better but.......

Thought it couldn't get any better but.......

Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud of
Default Thought it couldn't get any better but.......

Having just spent my first Christmas in New Zealand and not knowing quite what to expect, apart from know that the weather would definitely be warmer than the UK, we had a lovely traditional Christmas lunch with all the trimmings. Everyone seemed happy with the gifts Santa had brought and then we we given a surprise gift by our family of a super duper barbeque. As we only had a small cottage garden in the house back in the UK, we had not the need to buy one but next month we will move into our new home in Torbay so we will find many opportunities to use it.

To finish off a really lovely day, in the early evening we walked (with son & daughter-in-law - who is a wonderful person, great mum, fabulous friend to have & I can see my son loves her to bits) from our current home in Murrays Bay to Mairangi Bay (the tide being far enough out to allow us to walk along the path between both bays and then walked back home again. It was a beautiful evening. Me & my OH felt so lucky to be there, knowing we weren't just on holiday but that we now live here. What a treat it all was. Perfect!!!
Thank you New Zealand for such a wonderful welcome!!

The next day (Sat) the four of us drove to Huia Bay which to me seem pretty spectacular although I'm sure all of you can name other equally beautiful bays - I'm still new here so forgive me if I'm knocked out by the first fabulous one I see.

Roll on the days to come - more wonderful, interesting & exciting things to see and do. I'll be 70 in February so I'm not going to waste any time thinking about getting older, too much to get on with and I don't feel my age. I think my family sometimes think I don't act my age either. I'm a terrible giggler and I can see my grandson, Jake who is 17 has inherited it from me. Still there's worse things to inherit, eh!!!

Cheers,
Joan
xx
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thought it couldn't get any better but.......

How wonderful for you all.

As a daughter in law myself i would like to think my mother in law would say those things about me also - but i doubt it right now - as im about to whisk the grandchildren to the other side of the world.

I hope your year keeps getting better and better x

all the best

Psycho x
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:22 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely post! I'm really happy for you all. Sounds like you are having a ball!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:27 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hippygran
Having just spent my first Christmas in New Zealand and not knowing quite what to expect, apart from know that the weather would definitely be warmer than the UK, we had a lovely traditional Christmas lunch with all the trimmings. Everyone seemed happy with the gifts Santa had brought and then we we given a surprise gift by our family of a super duper barbeque. As we only had a small cottage garden in the house back in the UK, we had not the need to buy one but next month we will move into our new home in Torbay so we will find many opportunities to use it.

To finish off a really lovely day, in the early evening we walked (with son & daughter-in-law - who is a wonderful person, great mum, fabulous friend to have & I can see my son loves her to bits) from our current home in Murrays Bay to Mairangi Bay (the tide being far enough out to allow us to walk along the path between both bays and then walked back home again. It was a beautiful evening. Me & my OH felt so lucky to be there, knowing we weren't just on holiday but that we now live here. What a treat it all was. Perfect!!!
Thank you New Zealand for such a wonderful welcome!!

The next day (Sat) the four of us drove to Huia Bay which to me seem pretty spectacular although I'm sure all of you can name other equally beautiful bays - I'm still new here so forgive me if I'm knocked out by the first fabulous one I see.

Roll on the days to come - more wonderful, interesting & exciting things to see and do. I'll be 70 in February so I'm not going to waste any time thinking about getting older, too much to get on with and I don't feel my age. I think my family sometimes think I don't act my age either. I'm a terrible giggler and I can see my grandson, Jake who is 17 has inherited it from me. Still there's worse things to inherit, eh!!!

Cheers,
Joan
xx
Ahhh Joan......lovely to hear you've found your dream, age is just a number lol. Happy New Year to you all!!
B x
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

So glad everything has worked out for you and you had such a wonderful Christmas you will have many more just like this one
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely post...brought tears to my eyes, as it is how we feel too.

We have been here 6 weeks now and it has kind of rendered me speechless, hence so few posts. We had the most beautiful laid back Christmas and we are so grateful we are here.

Happy New Year to All

It can't surely get any better than this......... x
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely post Joan, glad you are settling in well & are having a fabulous time.

I heard that 70 is the new 60, so no excuse for slowing down
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You know what ? Good on yer & fair play.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Hippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud of

Thank you for all your lovely comments. As for 70 being the new 60, well I wish I looked nearer 60 but, there you go, you can't have it all but I don't intend to grow old gracefully - where's the fun in that!!!.

By the way, I don't know whether this particular meal is just common to NZ but we both just love it. It's eggy bread, crispy bacon, fried banana, drizzled with warm maple syrup with fresh pineapple, apple, melon pieces & grapes. Have had it several times now in cafes and now we have made it at home - scrummy or should I say 'awesome'.

Maybe NZ has not only enriched my taste buds but also my zest for life again.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

And for all those waiting to make that exciting, emotional journey to fullfill their dream, I sincerely hope the wait will not be too long for you.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful post, so pleased that NZ life is working out well for you
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:59 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Joan what a great post, its so lovely to read you are settling in so well You keep enjoying those first!!!

Dewb xx
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

You gave me the warm fuzzies and a giggle with the eggy bread...it is delicious...they call it french toast here though.
Glad it's all going well
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hippygran
Thank you for all your lovely comments. As for 70 being the new 60, well I wish I looked nearer 60 but, there you go, you can't have it all but I don't intend to grow old gracefully - where's the fun in that!!!.

By the way, I don't know whether this particular meal is just common to NZ but we both just love it. It's eggy bread, crispy bacon, fried banana, drizzled with warm maple syrup with fresh pineapple, apple, melon pieces & grapes. Have had it several times now in cafes and now we have made it at home - scrummy or should I say 'awesome'.

Maybe NZ has not only enriched my taste buds but also my zest for life again.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

And for all those waiting to make that exciting, emotional journey to fullfill their dream, I sincerely hope the wait will not be too long for you.

7 days, 12 hours & 45 minutes - precisely

Not that i am counting or anything
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:39 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
7 days, 12 hours & 45 minutes - precisely

Not that i am counting or anything
woo hoo not long for you, good luck hope all goes well

Dewb x
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic post, thank you and keep on enjoying xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.