Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Those weird moments when you have to remind yourself you're not in the UK!

Those weird moments when you have to remind yourself you're not in the UK!

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Those weird moments when you have to remind yourself you're not in the UK!

I know, it happens everywhere in the world, you see something and you kind of have to pinch yourself to remember where you actually are!

This morning, went down to the car park to get the car to go to work, the car in the space two down had obviously failed to start, so there was an AA wagon sitting there and the guy was talking to her in a broad yorkshire accent, had to remind myself I was actually in NZ....
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those weird moments when you have to remind yourself you're not in the UK!

Also, when you 'see' people you know & then remind yourself that they can't be because they are in the UK.

Have nearly gone upto someone & slapped 'em on their back & stopped myself just in time
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:45 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Those weird moments when you have to remind yourself you're not in the UK!

Walking through Christchurch and stumbling upon the Pipeband Championships. Lots of folk in full Highland regalia, pipe music (of course) and folks sipping Irn Bru.

A Tardis moment.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Just walking past The National Bank does it for me - it just shouts out 'The sign of the black horse' = Lloyds Bank , AA vans is another good one though Irnbru as you say.
The Queen's Head on the stamps and coins also does it as well.

I sometimes walk round Wellington and hear nothing but UK accents....I sometimes wonder where all the Kiwis actually are...and I suppose we know the answer.

For me being here is very like being in the UK as I was living in another EU country immediately before, so weirdly NZ feels like home because it feels more like the UK than my last country of residence.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

We were shopping in woolworths the other day when my son announced there was a man walking about that worked in ASDA...don't be silly we said to him,then noticed this man standing at the checkout with an ASDA fleece on...felt like following him just to see where he was going....Don't know if there is a company in NZ called ASDA ,or he had worked there in UK and just decided to bring his fleece with him...either way just kept thinking about all that cheap food back home...

Just for a split second,felt like I was back in UK...

The starange thing is,I no longer feel like I am in a strange country,this now feels like home,everything feels familiar now....Jacky
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

When standing in a queue at Woolworths and the woman behind me started whingeing about how long we were having to stand and wait. I rolled my eyes - bloody whingeing pom!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I see same bloke every day on train home from work, wearing his West Ham scarf. It's not Ted Logan, so it must be 'the other' supporter
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:50 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Also, when you 'see' people you know & then remind yourself that they can't be because they are in the UK.

Have nearly gone upto someone & slapped 'em on their back & stopped myself just in time
I see people's doubles here constantly, it's so weird! IrnBru14 must have an older twin, 'cos he was at the Ocean Spa in Napier on Tuesday! He was right hairy, too, could have used an entire body waxing.

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I see same bloke every day on train home from work, wearing his West Ham scarf. It's not Ted Logan, so it must be 'the other' supporter
Good one!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:48 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I'd be worried if I was taking the train home Anyways there's loads of us about, we just tend to keep quiet.

Which reminds me, best look for mine now winters coming.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
I'd be worried if I was taking the train home Anyways there's loads of us about, we just tend to keep quiet.

Which reminds me, best look for mine now winters coming.
I'd be worried too if you took train home cos there isn't one that goes to where you live
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I see people's doubles here constantly, it's so weird! l:

Yes, I know what you mean, hubby and I both saw the Kiwi version of my friend Julies husband Don....... completely spooked us, as not only did he look JUST like him, but he stood the same way with his thumb hooked into the belt of his jeans !!!

Gill
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

when I saw the shocking price $199.95 for a Cornish Teapot yesterday at Kirkcaldie. well. I remember it's only £ 44.95 in the u.k. moreover, Cornish Blue ware are no longer available here. how disappointed. This Is NZ

and when I can't find classic English Scone at cafes - they do seem to have some different (Kiwi?) range of scone?? though

I luve English scone and miss them very much. I just don't have time to bake it.
Attached Thumbnails Those weird moments when you have to remind yourself you're not in the UK!-buttermilk-scones-26845.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 25th 2008 at 6:32 am.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

and when I can't find classic English Scone at cafes - they do seem to have some different (Kiwi?) range of scone?? though

I luve English scone and miss them very much. I just don't have time to bake it.[/QUOTE]

Oh Libby!!

If you badly want some English scones I can always make you some....mmmmm....with jam and cream

I even have to take them into work for the chef and the boss, and they're kiwis

Cheers

Catkin
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catkin09
Oh Libby!!

If you badly want some English scones I can always make you some....mmmmm....with jam and cream

Cheers

Catkin

oh. thanks. It's very nice of you

Good on ya mate! I am sure you are super. Indeed Kiwi bakers need some special training, eh?

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 25th 2008 at 7:03 am.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catkin09

I luve English scone and miss them very much. I just don't have time to bake it.
Oh Libby!!

Cheers

Catkin[/QUOTE]

Has to be clotted cream though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.