Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Those with PR - were you sure you were going for good?

Those with PR - were you sure you were going for good?

Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those with PR - were you sure you were going for good?

Originally Posted by Philzbub
Hi Clappy! Just a quick one... whats wrong with the working practices in NZ?? I'm about to start work in Auckland on 13th August... what should i be prepared for??
Phil.
Kiwis don't like change for a start. They don't want to be told that there is a better/safer/easier way to do something. You need to choose your battles carefully.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philzbub
Hi Clappy! Just a quick one... whats wrong with the working practices in NZ?? I'm about to start work in Auckland on 13th August... what should i be prepared for??
Phil.
It will depend on the type of work that you will be doing and who you are doing it for.

I work for a large corporate (its the smallest company that I have ever worked for but it is large by NZ standards) and the main thing that frustrates me on a daily basis is that it is impossible to make any progress because it is impossible to get anyone with any influence to make a decision, on anything.

Someone might take a position, but there is always the likelihood that down the line that position will be questioned and so it becomes a case of revisiting everything over and over again.

Then there are the people that are so frightened that they might be seen as being responsible for a decision that has been made that they won't do anything without sign-off from somebody else. Anybody else, just as long as they are not themselves responsible for it.

My wife works as an operations manager for a financial services firm, which is more or less the same has her role was in London.

In London, her staff were professional people in their twenties and thirties that could (mostly) be relied upon to knuckle down and get things done.

Here, despite most of her staff being nearer retirement than the start of their careers she comes home every night complaining that they behave like little children.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Kiwis don't like change for a start. They don't want to be told that there is a better/safer/easier way to do something. You need to choose your battles carefully.
I find that overseas experience is not valued at all if you are a foreigner, you can't possible know what you are doing. My wife is a kiwi that lived overseas for a long time and that has stood her in good stead. Go figure!

Last edited by Clappy; Aug 2nd 2012 at 5:58 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Arrow Re: Those with PR - were you sure you were going for good?

Originally Posted by Clappy
It will depend on the type of work that you will be doing and who you are doing it for.

I work for a large corporate (its the smallest company that I have ever worked for but it is large by NZ standards) and the main thing that frustrates me on a daily basis is that it is impossible to make any progress because it is impossible to get anyone with any influence to make a decision, on anything.

Someone might take a position, but there is always the likelihood that down the line that position will be questioned and so it becomes a case of revisiting everything over and over again.

Then there are the people that are so frightened that they might be seen as being responsible for a decision that has been made that they won't do anything without sign-off from somebody else. Anybody else, just as long as they are not themselves responsible for it.

My wife works as an operations manager for a financial services firm, which is more or less the same has her role was in London.

In London, her staff were professional people in their twenties and thirties that could (mostly) be relied upon to knuckle down and get things done.

Here, despite most of her staff being nearer retirement than the start of their careers she comes home every night complaining that they behave like little children.

I find that overseas experience is not valued at all if you are a foreigner, you can't possible know what you are doing. My wife is a kiwi that lived overseas for a long time and that has stood her in good stead. Go figure!

Oh
Sounds a joy!! oh well too late now!! I'll let you know in due course of I find this the case at my place!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
.......the main thing that frustrates me on a daily basis is that it is impossible to make any progress because it is impossible to get anyone with any influence to make a decision, on anything.

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

We intended it to be a move forever so we applied for PR ,, BUT now I m sorry to say I just want to return ,,,
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
We intended it to be a move forever so we applied for PR ,, BUT now I m sorry to say I just want to return ,,,
Hi,

Where in the Midlands are you from? We came from Coventry.

Carole
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

PR has nothing to do with wanting to stay permanently - after all we all typically have "PR" in our country of origin yet have decided that may not be permanent....
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

Where in the Midlands are you from? We came from Coventry.

Carole
Sutton Coldfield but lived in Coventry when I was very young,,
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Sorry to read this yjx1nt7. I remember all your journey to get here. Your hopes and dreams & your bravery when you first arrived.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:30 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
are you sure it is always them that doesn't like to change...
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Dusty

Where is me birthday wishes ?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
I was being a bit flippant TBH, but don't mess with me at the moment as I'm EXTREMELY HORMONAL