British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   To those people missing Blighty or thinking of a return...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/those-people-missing-blighty-thinking-return-686445/)

MnB Sep 24th 2010 9:58 am

Re: To those people missing Blighty or thinking of a return......

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 8872484)
The Uk is a great place to live - has a lot going for it, has a lot going against it. As does every country.

They way I think about life is that the grass is never greener, it's just different grass and if you can't embrace the fact it's different grass, then stay on your own patch.

The last thing we want to do is take our life here and just move it over there. We're only emigrating because we want to change our lifestyle.

But the one thing that will bring me back is my family & friends. And if that's how it turns out, then hey at least we had the adventure and we'll know for sure where we want to be.

:thumbsup: Good on you! your positive attitude will surely see you through life's adventures!

kags-gowboy Sep 24th 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8872495)
:thumbsup: Good on you! your positive attitude will surely see you through life's adventures!

I agree, Mrs P couldn't put it better....phew, I can now get on with the rest of my day on a positive note! Still new to this, as a recent subscriber and prospective emigrant (correct word?), but crikey that was an intense thread to get through...one or two very embittered souls on this forum I think...I hope we're going to remain in the same Boat as Mrs Pointer as we begin our own Journey through this process! :fingerscrossed:(*too many sad metaphors, gowboy you're barred from this forum - Ed.)

squarepants Sep 24th 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by MNandMN (Post 8870683)
My two cents is - none of the stats mean anything much to individuals or families, it maybe justifies to some people why they emigrated - but enjoying being in NZ and making a go of it seem to hinge on two main things 1) how much you miss family and friends and 2) whether you can afford to live the lifestyle you want to on the wages in NZ - just an observation from reading the messages over the last year or so

For our situation I think you're absolutely spot on here. The cost of living is higher and it's tougher on a low salary especially with the high cost of food, but if you're prepared for that and have a plan - you can stay sane.

I found it very difficult initially because I was just completely broadsided by the high cost of the basics - which had a direct impact on what I put on the plates at dinner and meant that we spent winter in a house which was both cold and damp.

We're growing our own veggies now and buying fruits in season then making jams/preserves etc. Even crumbles out of the fajoas and freezing them. We're also into a routine now with home kill and I've discovered that the freezer in the garage is the kiwi family's best friend.

We're lucky that we've been married 20 years and have some security - but it's a false economy to subsidise living with savings because it won't take long to go through them. It's with this in mind we've absolutely struggled to manage on the low kiwi wage and we're alright - but I'd be telling lies if I said we could sustain it for any longer than 18 months total.

That kind of bean counting takes an emotional toll over time I think, most people go through it at some point - you just slap your forehead if you dare stop to think you did it willingly.

None of us miss UK or family really, we talk just as much as we ever did with skype and phone. I miss my horse so much I could throw a hissy fit to rival any 3 year old and I can't have any pictures of him around because I still get upset - but I wanted to come here more than I wanted to keep him so it was my choice. In time the lifestyle we had in UK we'll have here. It's all a process and it takes time to re-establish careers and networks - we certainly wouldn't go back.

bunnyphobia Sep 24th 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by squarepants (Post 8873404)
For our situation I think you're absolutely spot on here. The cost of living is higher and it's tougher on a low salary especially with the high cost of food, but if you're prepared for that and have a plan - you can stay sane.

I found it very difficult initially because I was just completely broadsided by the high cost of the basics - which had a direct impact on what I put on the plates at dinner and meant that we spent winter in a house which was both cold and damp.

We're growing our own veggies now and buying fruits in season then making jams/preserves etc. Even crumbles out of the fajoas and freezing them. We're also into a routine now with home kill and I've discovered that the freezer in the garage is the kiwi family's best friend.

We're lucky that we've been married 20 years and have some security - but it's a false economy to subsidise living with savings because it won't take long to go through them. It's with this in mind we've absolutely struggled to manage on the low kiwi wage and we're alright - but I'd be telling lies if I said we could sustain it for any longer than 18 months total.

That kind of bean counting takes an emotional toll over time I think, most people go through it at some point - you just slap your forehead if you dare stop to think you did it willingly.

None of us miss UK or family really, we talk just as much as we ever did with skype and phone. I miss my horse so much I could throw a hissy fit to rival any 3 year old and I can't have any pictures of him around because I still get upset - but I wanted to come here more than I wanted to keep him so it was my choice. In time the lifestyle we had in UK we'll have here. It's all a process and it takes time to re-establish careers and networks - we certainly wouldn't go back.

I'm just curious squarepants - do you keep a horse in NZ now? I'm just wondering if the relative costs of those type of land-based things (which are so expensive in the UK) balance out the high price of food, electric etc?