Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To those people missing Blighty or thinking of a return......

To those people missing Blighty or thinking of a return......

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all
Default To those people missing Blighty or thinking of a return......

...........I'd personally consider somewhere else if NZ isn't for me before returning to the UK, just my opinion.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._Study_Reveals
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those people missing Blighty or thinking of a return......

Variables such as net income, VAT and the cost of essential goods, such as fuel, food and energy bills, were examined.

Last year compared with our European neighbours we were miserable but rich, this year we're miserable and poor.

Also too were lifestyle factors, such as hours of sunshine, holiday entitlement, working hours and life expectancy to provide a complete picture of the quality of life experienced in each country.

The UK pays the highest prices for food and petrol yet spends below the European average (as a percentage of GDP) on health and education.

Brits work longer hours, retire later, and receive less annual leave than most of their European counterparts, the study says.
Well if you are one of the 'miserable and poor' in the UK - don't ever consider coming to NZ to improve your lot, because you will in all likelihood add to your woes.

Comparing the UK to the rest of Europe on holiday entitlements was never likely to be a winner, but you still get more annual leave than you will in NZ.

Average working week in NZ is same or longer than the UK (typically 40 hours for white collar / office jobs).

In my experience lots more people in NZ tend to work well beyond retirement age.

In the event that you get lucky and earn the same or better wages as in the UK, it's likely you will get less holidays (typically 20 days) and possibly have to work more hours per week for it.

Still, musn't forget, the scenery is nice!!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

In my experience lots more people in NZ tend to work well beyond retirement age.
I don't disagree with anything in your post - you make some good points. However don't forget that many people in NZ choose to work beyond 65, while many in the UK have that choice denied them at present. My mum in NZ is 70 and still works and really doesn't want to retire - mind you she is the boss!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I don't disagree with anything in your post - you make some good points. However don't forget that many people in NZ choose to work beyond 65, while many in the UK have that choice denied them at present. My mum in NZ is 70 and still works and really doesn't want to retire - mind you she is the boss!

Well, I think that the early retirement, the many days of vacation will be a huge problem to France in the future. because somebody has to pay for it and there is no money left.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You're quite right, you only have to look at the state of the finances of the PIIGS and the rioting in Athens earlier this year. I don't think it has quite got to that stage in the UK yet.

Just as an aside I wonder, have many people been on strike yet in the UK against the Government spending cuts? Will it be another winter of discontent?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:32 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

You're quite right, you only have to look at the state of the finances of the PIIGS and the rioting in Athens earlier this year. I don't think it has quite got to that stage in the UK yet.

Just as an aside I wonder, have many people been on strike yet in the UK against the Government spending cuts? Will it be another winter of discontent?
Now that is a major concern in the UK. As the financial experts are predicting we are on the edge of recovery and any industrial action would quickly throw us back into recession.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just wondered because we presently have junior doctors threatening strikes and asking for 20% pay increase, teachers taking industrial action for more pay, a long running action by radiographers and laboratory workers meaning thousands of operations cancelled and I think it can only get worse before it gets better.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
...........I'd personally consider somewhere else if NZ isn't for me before returning to the UK, just my opinion.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._Study_Reveals
Yeah so where does it say that NZ is any better?

New Zealand teachers have one of the lowest starting salaries in the developed world - but work some of the longest hours, an international report says.

The OECD's Education at a Glance report shows the equivalent starting salary for a teacher is $27,600 (US$19,000) - about $13,000 below the average and about $18,700 behind Australia.

Of the 29 countries ranked in the survey New Zealand had the fourth worst starting salary.
Even after 15 years it doesn't get much better
After 15 years' experience, Kiwi teachers still lag behind on the pay scale, earning $53,200 (US$37,000) - $7200 below the average and $10,100 behind Australia.
If this is true for teachers I'm sure it isn't that different for people in other professions and trades. Longer hours, short holidays and lower pay are a way of life in New Zealand.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...or-NZ-teachers
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Now that is a major concern in the UK. As the financial experts are predicting we are on the edge of recovery and any industrial action would quickly throw us back into recession.
No matter what the government is saying, the UK is still in recession. Spending cuts will also only exacerbate the problem as there will be less money in circulation and GDP will therefore drop.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiri
Yeah so where does it say that NZ is any better?

Sorry, are you on drugs?

I don't believe the link even mentions NZ?

I certainly never said it was better, or worse, they were your words not mine.

I'll say it again slowly for the hard of thinking, a bit like yourself,

"I'd

p.e.r.s.o.n.a.l.l.y

t.r.y

s.o.m.e.w.h.e.r.e

e.l.s.e

b.e.f.o.r.e

I

r.e.t.u.r.n.e.d

t.o

t.h.e

U.K"

Clear?

Or do you want it in format you can read, perhaps crayon?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

And what of the industrial action taking place in NZ at the moment? teachers, radiologists, lab workers, junior doctors....? it's just the same as Britain. Go from either country to the other and it's a frying pan to fire situation.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut

Sorry, are you on drugs?

I don't believe the link even mentions NZ?

I certainly never said it was better, or worse, they were your words not mine.

I'll say it again slowly for the hard of thinking, a bit like yourself,

"I'd

p.e.r.s.o.n.a.l.l.y

t.r.y

s.o.m.e.w.h.e.r.e

e.l.s.e

b.e.f.o.r.e

I

r.e.t.u.r.n.e.d

t.o

t.h.e

U.K"

Clear?

Or do you want it in format you can read, perhaps crayon?
er, that was my point.

Of course the choice of an alternative country is obvious, well to some of us that is.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

I just wondered because we presently have junior doctors threatening strikes and asking for 20% pay increase, teachers taking industrial action for more pay, a long running action by radiographers and laboratory workers meaning thousands of operations cancelled and I think it can only get worse before it gets better.
The junior doctors strike isn't about pay - that's been mis-reported. It's about significant changes to their contract, such as being contracted in for an 8 hour day which is then split across two four hour periods (so, 8-12am and then 7-11pm for example) which is both unusual and unfair. The money isn't a problem at all, they know they've got that good. Some friends of mine are very annoyed that it was reported that way on the news.

Radiographers, on the other hand....

Sorry just wanted to point that out.

Now, please return to arguing about different topics
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

New Zealand is still struggling to recover from recession just like Britain, both countries have put up VAT / GST but at least Britain hasn't got VAT on food.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:19 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

From that link "While last year net household income in the UK was £10,000 above the European average, this year it is just £2,314 above average."

That would be a massive change if it were true, representing a huge, improbable increase or decrease depending on whose average you think has moved. Methinks it has more to do with the exchange rate shift over that period...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.