Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinsg to do before I go...

Thinsg to do before I go...

Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinsg to do before I go...

So I've written a list of what I need to do before I go and I was wondering if someone could take a look over and see what else I need to do.

I've read somewhere that you need to contact Inland Revenue but I'm not sure where to start with them - their website says nothing about informing them if emigrating. That's my main query but does this look alright?

Cancel direct debits
Transfer money to NZ
Close bank accounts
Book and organise shipping
Get handover files from dentist and doctor (luckily have health providers already in NZ)
Sell/donate unwanted belongings (did car boot sale)
Arrange travel insurance and ticket
Get glowing reference from employer

Anything else?

I'm a lodger with mates in Edinburgh and am moving back to parents for a couple of weeks to organise all my shipping. I'm a very low maintenance immigrant in terms of what i have to do I think! No kids, no animals, no car, no house.

Any chance of claiming my tax back cos I'm a New Zealand resident?

Any help much appreciated.

Alison
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:31 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinsg to do before I go...

Leaving party?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by England Girl

Any chance of claiming my tax back cos I'm a New Zealand resident?

Any help much appreciated.

Alison
You should declare yourself as a non-resident with IR when you leave. If you have no further UK income, they should send you a tax refund. You can also do a tax return after April next year and reclaim any that's owed to you. Sorry can't remember what all the forms are.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Close bank accounts
Fatal mistake -- leave at least one account open.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Tarquin is an unknown quantity at this point

How about:
  • Cancel mobile phone contract - unless you're taking it with you
  • Cancel any subsrcirptions, i.e magazines, newspapers, sky / cable TV etc..
  • Get final bills organised and paid with gas, electric, water and BT
  • Set up postal redirection with Royal Mail
  • Get all your friends and family's email addresses so you can email and let them all know you arrived safely and how you're getting on
  • What about booking and paying for a flight?

Last edited by Tarquin; Jul 12th 2006 at 9:41 pm. Reason: added more...
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that if you have no-claims bonus on your car insurance then get proof of that from your insurers as you will need the proof here too.

I agree dont close all your UK bank accounts.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

I have already got my flight sorted (did that in January!) and had kind of already figured about getting addresses and having a party (first one is when I leave Edinburgh for England).

Thanks lapsed kiwi for the IR info - am hunting down the forms right now.

Alison
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

I have already got my flight sorted (did that in January!) and had kind of already figured about getting addresses and having a party (first one is when I leave Edinburgh for England).

Alison
you need a P80 to claim back income tax overpaid this tax year.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:37 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

obvious one, which often gets overlooked: plug adaptors
(or you may know an electrician friend who could re-wire new NZ plugs to all compatible appliances)
also, you may consider buying your adaptors in the UK, as they cost significantly more in NZ
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by asiatic
obvious one, which often gets overlooked: plug adaptors
(or you may know an electrician friend who could re-wire new NZ plugs to all compatible appliances)
also, you may consider buying your adaptors in the UK, as they cost significantly more in NZ
You don't need adaptors or an electrician in NZ. Buy plugs at placemakers when you get here around $2 each and change them yourself. The electric system is the same as the Uk. I brought everything from the Uk and just swapped the plugs over. Dont waste money, there is no need. If you can change a plug in the Uk you can do it here. They are only a different shape thats all.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.

Alison
The form you need is a P85 - get it from http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf
I fly a week next Wednesday and that's one of the few things I have managed to get sorted
Laurence
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:53 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Cancel the Milk?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:35 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
you need a P80 to claim back income tax overpaid this tax year.
Form is P85

See enclosed upload

Eddie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tax form P85 for leaving UK.pdf (53.7 KB, 153 views)
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:19 pm
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lizard
You don't need adaptors or an electrician in NZ.
That's correct "The electric system is the same as the Uk":
Standard NZ single phase voltage is 230v 50hz
Standard UK single phase voltage is 240v 50hz
Except for the odd 10v!

Be safe...http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/top_phr...lectrician.htm

or

Be sorry...The fire service can be reached by telephoning: 111
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by asiatic
That's correct "The electric system is the same as the Uk":
Standard NZ single phase voltage is 230v 50hz
Standard UK single phase voltage is 240v 50hz
Except for the odd 10v!

Be safe...http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/top_phr...lectrician.htm

or

Be sorry...The fire service can be reached by telephoning: 111
The only way you need an electrician to change a plug is if you are a bit thick, the 10v difference does not matter because English appliances can run on higher voltage, has you pointed out.

Get ripped off - www.yellowpages.co.nz/electrician

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.