Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Conor_M90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Right so here is my sitution. I've recently finished college here in Ireland and I've a BSc in Environmental Science but it seems next to impossible to get your foot in the door with a company here.

I've looked at the UK as well and while they're seems to be jobs there I'm not hearing anything back from English employers.I might just get an English sim next time I'm up the north and change my address to one of my mates who lives in the UK and see do I have more luck that way first.

My plan would be to move to New Zealand around March on a WHV and get work in Christchurch on the sites (which can be arranged in Ireland AFAIK ) and then go looking for work in my field.I'd prefer to go on a proper visa but it seems I can't get a proper visa without either work experience or by being in New Zealand and having a company sponsor me.

Really I'm trying to get some honest feedback and would I have a fighting chance of actually getting a job in my field or in a related field.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by Conor_M90
Right so here is my sitution. I've recently finished college here in Ireland and I've a BSc in Environmental Science but it seems next to impossible to get your foot in the door with a company here.

I've looked at the UK as well and while they're seems to be jobs there I'm not hearing anything back from English employers.I might just get an English sim next time I'm up the north and change my address to one of my mates who lives in the UK and see do I have more luck that way first.

My plan would be to move to New Zealand around March on a WHV and get work in Christchurch on the sites (which can be arranged in Ireland AFAIK ) and then go looking for work in my field.I'd prefer to go on a proper visa but it seems I can't get a proper visa without either work experience or by being in New Zealand and having a company sponsor me.

Really I'm trying to get some honest feedback and would I have a fighting chance of actually getting a job in my field or in a related field.
I would say if you have the time to spare and the money to support yourself, it's worth a shot. I came over on just a visitors visa in 2007, as i couldn't get a job nor interview within IT, without being here.... had four interviews and got a job offer soon after...

I would say, try using www.seek.co.nz and contact the agencies that are recruiting in your area of expertise. Then work with them working towards your arrival.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. One of my nephews recently qualified from Otago Uni with an Environmental Science degree. He and many of his fellow graduates are finding the job situation in their chosen field very tough to break into. He is currently working in Chch as a labourer.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Hi. One of my nephews recently qualified from Otago Uni with an Environmental Science degree. He and many of his fellow graduates are finding the job situation in their chosen field very tough to break into. He is currently working in Chch as a labourer.
Is it tough is the sense that there is no jobs available or tough in the sense that theirs jobs out there but theirs alot of competition??
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again. I know he has applied for a number of jobs. Some with dairy factories and also with city councils. All over the country too as he isn't fussed about where he works. Sounds like a combination of too few jobs for too many applicants. Sorry.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

No need to put your address on your CV at all. Email address and phone number, sure.

Long and expensive way to go, especially when you're competing with locals for far fewer jobs.

If I were you, I'd go to the UK first, find a flatshare, try to build up some savings and a little experience in your field first. As you say, there are jobs here. Jobhunting in the UK will always be much easier once you're there and the wages are higher. Maybe do some travelling after a year or two, with a longer-term plan to go to New Zealand, if it's a country you're drawn to. Quite a few people here would attest that New Zealand can be a difficult place to make a start if you're not already established financially to some degree. It's an expensive place to live and salaries are low.

Go to the UK and if it all falls to bits, you're not far from home. Go to NZ and you could end up stuck 12,000 miles away, barely earning enough to get by while not even working in your field, hardly seeing the country... and essentially living to work. Ask yourself why you think thousands of Kiwis move to Australia each year? If I were in your position, I wouldn't run that risk, to be honest. After all, you're an EU citizen with free movement in a common market of hundreds of millions of people containing some of the wealthiest countries in the world. Make a start in learning another language and you have the world on your doorstep.

In my opinion, New Zealand is a place to possibly move for those from the UK/EU who have substantial free capital and/or are established in high-skilled and in demand professions, not those who have just graduated. There are always exceptions, but the deck will be more likely to be heavily stacked against you... and given the distance, the expense and the relative lack of opportunities, the potential of relative disappointment is far more likely to be more consequential to the eventual direction of your life.

You've asked for honest feedback and you've just left college? Maybe go to New Zealand when you're in mid-30s, 40s or 50s, when you've got a chunk of change and have lived a little, in my opinion.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Purrball
No need to put your address on your CV at all. Email address and phone number, sure.

Long and expensive way to go, especially when you're competing with locals for far fewer jobs.

If I were you, I'd go to the UK first, find a flatshare, try to build up some savings and a little experience in your field first. As you say, there are jobs here. Jobhunting in the UK will always be much easier once you're there and the wages are higher. Maybe do some travelling after a year or two, with a longer-term plan to go to New Zealand, if it's a country you're drawn to. Quite a few people here would attest that New Zealand can be a difficult place to make a start if you're not already established financially to some degree. It's an expensive place to live and salaries are low.

Go to the UK and if it all falls to bits, you're not far from home. Go to NZ and you could end up stuck 12,000 miles away, barely earning enough to get by while not even working in your field, hardly seeing the country... and essentially living to work. Ask yourself why you think thousands of Kiwis move to Australia each year? If I were in your position, I wouldn't run that risk, to be honest. After all, you're an EU citizen with free movement in a common market of hundreds of millions of people containing some of the wealthiest countries in the world. Make a start in learning another language and you have the world on your doorstep.

In my opinion, New Zealand is a place to possibly move for those from the UK/EU who have substantial free capital and/or are established in high-skilled and in demand professions, not those who have just graduated. There are always exceptions, but the deck will be more likely to be heavily stacked against you... and given the distance, the expense and the relative lack of opportunities, the potential of relative disappointment is far more likely to be more consequential to the eventual direction of your life.

You've asked for honest feedback and you've just left college? Maybe go to New Zealand when you're in mid-30s, 40s or 50s, when you've got a chunk of change and have lived a little, in my opinion.
Thanks for your advice. The more I look into it the more New Zealand seems like a non runnner.I think in this part of the world we tend to take the EU for all its problems for granted.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

You're young, I'm guessing. There's so much to do and see in the UK. So many options for living and working... if you're into music, the amount of clubs, gigs and festivals is amazing. Same with the arts, sports, architecture, food and so on. So much to do and see, so many people from all parts of the world.

The happiest young person I met in New Zealand last time I was there was a German guy in his mid-late 20s who was travelling through on a working holiday during the summer, with a backpack, doing fruitpicking and all sorts of bits and pieces. Loved it to bits. But he felt he had seen and done it all in the six months he'd been there, from North to South... and was soon on his way to Thailand. He'd seen more of New Zealand than I had... and I'm a Kiwi.

Don't rule New Zealand out altogether. If you're compelled to visit — to see the mountains and lakes, to fish for trout, swim with the dolphins or go bungy-jumping — put it on the backburner for now would be my suggestion. Lot more fun to spend time there as a tourist... unless you're ready and financially able to emigrate and settle down, perhaps with a family.

I think in this part of the world we tend to take the EU for all its problems for granted.
I'd never have moved to the UK from NZ in my 20s, if all I knew of it was what I'd read in the press.

Anyway, I'm just one of many voices here. Some people will give you the opposite advice and urge you to be motivated and positive, to take a risk and go to New Zealand. Their insights are just as valuable.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:58 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Coner, I would that some advice on face value and some with a pinch of salt. Not everyones cup is half full.

What you are describing, sounds like a workable plan. I have met many backpackers/travellers who have come over on WHV's and gone on to get work permits and residency.

A WHV is only available to people 30 years or younger. So how many opportunities will you have in your life to take advantage of it?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think ou have anything to lose by coming on a WHV. Like Catcha says, you have to make the most of whilst you're still eligible. Only thing is would you be too worried if you didn't manage to find a job in our field? Do you think it would disadvantage you in any way if you didn't work in your field so soon after graduating?

The reason so many graduates leave NZ is that there are only so many jobs to be had here BUT it could be a perfect time to explore NZ and see if you want to commit long term. Otherwise, the other way to do it is as Purrball says and get some work experience in the UK/EU area then come at a later stage in your field? I presume your job is not on the skilled shortage list?

Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I don't think ou have anything to lose by coming on a WHV. Like Catcha says, you have to make the most of whilst you're still eligible. Only thing is would you be too worried if you didn't manage to find a job in our field? Do you think it would disadvantage you in any way if you didn't work in your field so soon after graduating?

The reason so many graduates leave NZ is that there are only so many jobs to be had here BUT it could be a perfect time to explore NZ and see if you want to commit long term. Otherwise, the other way to do it is as Purrball says and get some work experience in the UK/EU area then come at a later stage in your field? I presume your job is not on the skilled shortage list?

Good luck with it all.
It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't get a job in my field. I'm happy to work in other sectors.Environmental Research Scientists with one years experience are on the LTSSL but its getting the years experience that's the problem.

Purrball does raise valid points and the UK does have alot to offer and I've being some more thinking about it this Evening just crunching some numbers and doing some thinking.

The Uk has a population of around 60 million and an unemployment rate of around 8% thats still 4.8 million people which is roughly the same population as Ireland or New Zealand.

The problem with staying in Ireland is the unemployment rate is 14% and the economy is stagnate.

New Zealand has a similar population to Ireland a lower unemployment rate and the economy seems to be growing

maybe thats a too simplistic approach
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Purrball = Excellent post!!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Hi,

Consider the financial outlay of coming to NZ vs the UK...

The outlay to NZ doesn't stop at the flight & visa...The cost of living here is more expensive than the UK & on a WHV you are only here temporarily...you would have additional costs to bear to convert to residency if you wanted to stay & ONLY if you qualify to stay or get residency status!

Does a WHV allow you to change jobs? otherwise that's another cost to bear in mind...

But if money is no object or you are looking for at bit of an OE...then maybe coming on a WHV would be a bit of an adventure.

Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:43 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
Hi,

Consider the financial outlay of coming to NZ vs the UK...

The outlay to NZ doesn't stop at the flight & visa...The cost of living here is more expensive than the UK & on a WHV you are only here temporarily...you would have additional costs to bear to convert to residency if you wanted to stay & ONLY if you qualify to stay or get residency status!

Does a WHV allow you to change jobs? otherwise that's another cost to bear in mind...

But if money is no object or you are looking for at bit of an OE...then maybe coming on a WHV would be a bit of an adventure.

Good luck
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...orkingholiday/

The above is a link to the WHV available NZ. If you are unsure of the conditions, I would have a read, before commenting on posters questions regarding it.

Thousands of young people from all over the world, come to New Zealand on a WHV. There is a whole network of hostels that provide accommodation from as little as $15/night. Hop on/off bus networks such as Kiwi Experience or Stray provide easy and convenient transportation.

And yes it's a bit of an adventure. Thats the point.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I think one needs to distinguish between immigrating to NZ and just wanting an adventure and having new experiences.

NZ is really little, remote, very expensive, and rural. If you immigrate here you should be sure that it is really what you want! You will be very far from your family. If you have a good relationship with them that might turn out to be a problem especially once your parents are approaching their last years. It is also very easy to outgrow NZ and most Germans I know that have lived here for a long time feel kind of stuck. Not enough money to leave, afraid of not finding a job back in Europe etc. pp. They traveled the whole country many times, seen it all. What now? Would you be happy with just NZ?

If you just want an adventure it is easy to come here with an WHV as others have pointed out. You could also do the same in Australia and live two years down under and then decide what you would like to do. But then you might also want to consider to spend your time in Europe. Learn a language! Might even help you to find a good job later in the UK as there not many Brits that are fluent in another language. To make things even more difficult: You could also do a WHV in Canada. So many possibilities

Last edited by Assanah; Aug 24th 2013 at 5:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.