Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of upping and moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by Catchafire
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...orkingholiday/

The above is a link to the WHV available NZ. If you are unsure of the conditions, I would have a read, before commenting on posters questions regarding it.

Thousands of young people from all over the world, come to New Zealand on a WHV. There is a whole network of hostels that provide accommodation from as little as $15/night. Hop on/off bus networks such as Kiwi Experience or Stray provide easy and convenient transportation.

And yes it's a bit of an adventure. Thats the point.

Ta!
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...orkingholiday/

The above is a link to the WHV available NZ. If you are unsure of the conditions, I would have a read, before commenting on posters questions regarding it.

Thousands of young people from all over the world, come to New Zealand on a WHV. There is a whole network of hostels that provide accommodation from as little as $15/night. Hop on/off bus networks such as Kiwi Experience or Stray provide easy and convenient transportation.

And yes it's a bit of an adventure. Thats the point.
I think I will
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
NZ is really little, remote, very expensive, and rural. If you immigrate here you should be sure that it is really what you want! You will be very far from your family. If you have a good relationship with them that might turn out to be a problem especially once your parents are approaching their last years. It is also very easy to outgrow NZ and most Germans I know that have lived here for a long time feel kind of stuck. Not enough money to leave, afraid of not finding a job back in Europe etc. pp. They traveled the whole country many times, seen it all. What now? Would you be happy with just NZ?
You're talking rubbish again! As I told you before it is bigger than the UK and 3/4 the size of your beloved Germany. I do one or two road trips a year and have hardly scratched the surface of the south island.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
You're talking rubbish again! As I told you before it is bigger than the UK and 3/4 the size of your beloved Germany. I do one or two road trips a year and have hardly scratched the surface of the south island.
Size doesn't make a place interesting. It's what's in a place that counts. If you haven't covered the South island in 2 trips then you must be travelling extremely slowly!
I have nothing against NZ, but would agree that it is very rural. I have family that lives in Nelson and love the place . Each to his own.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
Size doesn't make a place interesting. It's what's in a place that counts. If you haven't covered the South island in 2 trips then you must be travelling extremely slowly!
I have nothing against NZ, but would agree that it is very rural. I have family that lives in Nelson and love the place . Each to his own.
I didn't say it did, I'm just pointing out that it's not a small country

If you think you have seen it all in 2 trips you have missed most of it! Each to their own like you say
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Woodlea;10867599]I didn't say it did, I'm just pointing out that it's not a small country

As John Lennon always used to say "everything is relative" NZ is small compared with India, but not. compared with Swaziland.
( I know what you were getting at, and my comments are made in good humour- that's what being British is all about!)
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

As someone said upthread, thousands come here every year on working holiday visas. Work a few casual jobs and travel around to see as much of NZ as they can. Most just do their year, some like it and stay. I arrived on a WHV and am still here 12 yrs later (legally, as a permanent resident!)

I think your 20s can be a great time to do it. See a bit of the other side of the world, decide if you like it enough to stay longer.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

kodachrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
As someone said upthread, thousands come here every year on working holiday visas. Work a few casual jobs and travel around to see as much of NZ as they can. Most just do their year, some like it and stay. I arrived on a WHV and am still here 12 yrs later (legally, as a permanent resident!)

I think your 20s can be a great time to do it. See a bit of the other side of the world, decide if you like it enough to stay longer.
Given you are in some sort of school before 20 and too "old" after 30, its not that being in ones 20s is a great time to do the WHV Visa thing, its the only time to do the WHV thing. Getting life/work experience, mid 30s like me makes it much harder to physically get on the ground in Nz (or Oz, Canada etc) but hopefully makes it far easier to land a good job once you somehow get there. My brother on the other hand went to Oz on WHV, got multiple job offers and is applying for Residency. A path completely closed to anyone over 30ish.

Its also worth nothing the notion that Nz is more expensive to live in than the UK is not relevant to people from Ireland (like the OP and me), given Ireland is more expensive than the UK (and getting progressively dramatically more expensive with new and "inventive" taxes being introduced annually on top of the old ones).
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:25 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodachrome
Given you are in some sort of school before 20 and too "old" after 30, its not that being in ones 20s is a great time to do the WHV Visa thing, its the only time to do the WHV thing. Getting life/work experience, mid 30s like me makes it much harder to physically get on the ground in Nz (or Oz, Canada etc) but hopefully makes it far easier to land a good job once you somehow get there. My brother on the other hand went to Oz on WHV, got multiple job offers and is applying for Residency. A path completely closed to anyone over 30ish.

Its also worth nothing the notion that Nz is more expensive to live in than the UK is not relevant to people from Ireland (like the OP and me), given Ireland is more expensive than the UK (and getting progressively dramatically more expensive with new and "inventive" taxes being introduced annually on top of the old ones).
Another intelligent and well thought out, well written post. It must be the time of year !

I realise now we were probably to 'old' or 'set in our ways' to relocate to NZ. However, a lot of people emigrate to break out of a rut, break the boredom. The rut, the boredom can be found in NZ too ! Who knew ? Life, it's a funny old thing. All I really know is, 'I'm getting to old for this sh*t' i.e. body in NZ, heart in UK.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 28th 2013 at 9:31 pm. Reason: thought of something else
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:58 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodachrome

Unless you get a BUNAC visa, which is a WHV available to UK passport holders to the age of 35.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:33 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Another intelligent and well thought out, well written post. It must be the time of year !

I realise now we were probably to 'old' or 'set in our ways' to relocate to NZ. However, a lot of people emigrate to break out of a rut, break the boredom. The rut, the boredom can be found in NZ too ! Who knew ? Life, it's a funny old thing. All I really know is, 'I'm getting to old for this sh*t' i.e. body in NZ, heart in UK.
Could not have put it better myself Snap Shot.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:22 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pippa, you are my new BFF.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

kodachrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you get a BUNAC visa, which is a WHV available to UK passport holders to the age of 35.
Which I have! Its also not just available to UK passport holders.
Given its a limited allocation per year however I wouldnt recommend planning around it, especially not years in advance (also it could be withdrawn by Immigration or future government).