Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of skipping Naper/Hastings on our recce - thoughts?

Thinking of skipping Naper/Hastings on our recce - thoughts?

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:00 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of skipping Naper/Hastings on our recce - thoughts?

Wotcher.

We're still mulling over the last 6 days of our recce in April. We're spending the first night of our last week just outside Masterton, and are then heading up to Taupo / Rotorua. We're thinking about taking more the inland route and skipping Napier / Hastings. Still have to check one of our large scale maps to see if the train line (which we're taking from AKL to Welly) goes too close, and maybe we'd just see the same countryside all over again.

Given the choice, would you do more of an inland route from Masterton to Taupo (there's not a whole lot along the way, it looks like) or go via Hawkes Bay?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thinking of skipping Naper/Hastings on our recce - thoughts?

Originally Posted by Maz
Wotcher.

We're still mulling over the last 6 days of our recce in April. We're spending the first night of our last week just outside Masterton, and are then heading up to Taupo / Rotorua. We're thinking about taking more the inland route and skipping Napier / Hastings. Still have to check one of our large scale maps to see if the train line (which we're taking from AKL to Welly) goes too close, and maybe we'd just see the same countryside all over again.

Given the choice, would you do more of an inland route from Masterton to Taupo (there's not a whole lot along the way, it looks like) or go via Hawkes Bay?
Hi Maz,
What is the purpose of your reccie, to have a look around places you might live, or sightseeing?
The train goes along the western side (through National Park) and the road you would normally drive along is the Desert Road, on the eastern side of the mountains. The scenery is quite different, and pretty spectacular if you are into snow covered volcanoes...
If you are not thinking you might live in Hawkes Bay, then it is excellent for sightseeing. Wineries, art deco buildings, orchards, rolling green hills, often very hot and dry weather.

Last edited by Apple12; Mar 2nd 2007 at 1:13 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:46 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Hi Maz,
What is the purpose of your reccie, to have a look around places you might live, or sightseeing?
The train goes along the western side (through National Park) and the road you would normally drive along is the Desert Road, on the eastern side of the mountains. The scenery is quite different, and pretty spectacular if you are into snow covered volcanoes...
If you are not thinking you might live in Hawkes Bay, then it is excellent for sightseeing. Wineries, art deco buildings, orchards, rolling green hills, often very hot and dry weather.
Super, thanks Apple! Gosh, now I'm really stuck! I love snow-covered volcanoes and everything that I've seen about Hawkes Bay too!

Our trip is for settling more on a place to live, and also to look around as tourists as well. One thing I don't like about where I live now is that I don't enjoy looking around the area... *sigh*

We're looking primarily to settle in Welly, but Auckland if Welly doesn't work out. Not overly interested in settling anywhere other than either of those two places.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Hi there

We visited Napier on our recce in 2005 and really loved the place. It was No2 on our choices alongside Tauranga simply because of the weather and the relxed lifestyle. In the end we decided that the downsides to Napier (mainly distance from the main airport for visitors from the UK) outweighed the upsides. We opted for Tauranga in the end but, as a result of securing work, we ended up spending 3 months in Auckland. We then both found work in Tauranga and bought our house here.

Auckland - It is a big city and hsa all the + and - that go with it. Relatively easy to find a job for both of us. Traffic and pace of life is like any other big city. It's not the worst city I have been to by any stretch and the N Shore beaches etc are lovley. But oh that Harbour bridge! If you need to cure constipation (which I didn't!) try commuting over it every day on a motorbike!

Wellington - A much nicer city than AKL but the weather always seems to be so much worse than anywhere else especially in winter. Wind and rain made it a no brainer for us.

New Plymouth - nice city with friendly people but too far from the AKL airport and that permanent cloud over Mt Taranaki and the west coast beaches put us off.

Napier - Lovely town with very nice laid back people. Wonderful vineyards and rolling countryside. Great climate. No beaches in the city and such a long way from AKL airport and anywhere else.

Gisborne - Much the same as Napier but with brilliant beaches, even more laid back people and even more remote than Napier

Rotorua - Very smelly. Lots of tourists all year round. Nice place to visit but not to stay

Taupo - Such a beautiful place and very friendly. Busy all year round with passing through travellers. Great for skiing in winter and lakeside hols in summer. Our dream place to go when we decide to retire. Certainly 'do-able' from AKL airport.

Tauranga - Great beaches. 2 hours from AKL airport. Work available all year round. Good climate. big enough to be busy and find work but not too big like a city. Full of Kiwi tourists in summer ( jan only)

All in all we felt that Tauranga was our best choice. It won't suit everyone I realise but it's good for us.....

Hope this helps

Paul
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 4:07 am
Maz

Excellent, thanks so much Paul! I hadn't actually thought too much about the remoteness from the airports, to be honest, but it's a very good point. Karma sent for all those synopses, very much appreciated!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

I loved Napier, I really liked the Art Deco buildings and it has a nice sea front. Dan wasn't that fussed, could take it or leave it. We enjoyed driving around Hawkes Bay, nice scenery. We were there in the October and it was scorching so lots of sun screen if you do go
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Well as you're not really thinking of living in Napier and you have a finite amount of time on your recce, maybe don't bother with it and go when you're living in NZ. Personally I like napier as I love Art Deco, though the Art Deco is only really spectacular as it's concentrated and because everywhere else in NZ is so drab-looking (IMHumble one, as you know). It's also nice to see the area because it too looks a bit different to much of the rest of the North Island and I love scorched fields and brown landscapes. Not keen on the verdant. But once you've done the Art Deco trail, had a vino while admiring the brown and marvelling at the Med-style weather, driven up to Te Mata peak and possibly paraglided off it, that's it really. Time to start the 5 hour journey back to the next town.

And that bleedin' Desert Road. Nice mountain, shame about the several hours.

Am I helpful?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 12:33 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt rate Napier at all. Very dissapointed with the art deco (Miami much better IMHO) and not really much for the kids to do

Anyway each to there own
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:12 pm
Maz

Super, thanks all for the replies! They do help, honest. It's almost a little difficult to get in the mind-set of sorting all this out with below-freezing temperatures and constant snow (yes, it's still coming down). Must motivate myself!

Jack, thank you for the comment that there's not much for the kids to do. That's very important for us as ours is an only child.

Cheers all!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:28 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Maz I know we only went out there for 2 and bit weeks and have little on the ground knowledge ect. but Napier was really the only place we saw teenagers hanging around and vandalism.

Thats not to say there wasnt any anywhere else but thats the only place WE noticed any.

For me that was a sign saying "not much to do here if your a kid" if you know what I mean.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:46 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

just worth noting that the speed restrictions are very strict and are enforced, stuck to 50 mph on a lot of the mountain roads.

and it takes foookin forever to get anywhere.

took us 6 hours to drive from Roturua to Wellington suburbs - and that was whilst taking risks with the speed.

the roads can be very steep and windy - so whilst it might look like a 'we can drive there by the afternoon and have a walk around' its more a 'bloody heeeeeeeeeeeeelll, how much longer, get there, sleeeeeeeep'.

So you really are looking visiting one place at a time. And not forgetting when you take a drives such as from Roturua to Taopo you go through some wicked geothermal areas (such as Craters of the Moon) and there is of course the waterfalls. Oh yes, and puzzle world, lava glass world, and er, climbing frame 'world'. So you will be stopping off a lot to take in those sites.

(And they give you about 5 metre warning before a turn off to an attraction, so be on your guard and add an hour to your days journey just for 'finding a place to do a 360 in!).

hope you find thats constructive advice btw, it was meant to be
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:53 pm
Banned

Yep that mountain road from Napier to Taupo whilst stunning (if your the passenger ) is very long, winding and bloody steep. There are loads of overtaking spots though and the road is good. Its just that I wouldnt recomend the driver taking in the scenery too much. Its a long way doooooowwwwn

Also there is nothing and Im mean nothing for a long, long way. So if you need the bog, the wildlife gets it
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:18 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
For me that was a sign saying "not much to do here if your a kid" if you know what I mean.
OK, that plus the teens is really turning me of. But especially the part about there not being much to do for children. That's one of those things that's really important for us!

Originally Posted by dreamfish
just worth noting that the speed restrictions are very strict and are enforced, stuck to 50 mph on a lot of the mountain roads.

and it takes foookin forever to get anywhere.

took us 6 hours to drive from Roturua to Wellington suburbs - and that was whilst taking risks with the speed.

the roads can be very steep and windy - so whilst it might look like a 'we can drive there by the afternoon and have a walk around' its more a 'bloody heeeeeeeeeeeeelll, how much longer, get there, sleeeeeeeep'.
Sounds like driving in rural France, especially in the Massif Central. Looks 5 minutes away on the map, but takes 5 hours. OK, slight exaggeration. I can't put my hands on our NZ road atlas right now, but we actually thought we'd have to stop off somewhere for the night between Masterton and Taupo. If we can do that trip in one day, going close to the speed limit then we'd much rather do that.

So you really are looking visiting one place at a time. And not forgetting when you take a drives such as from Roturua to Taopo you go through some wicked geothermal areas (such as Craters of the Moon) and there is of course the waterfalls. Oh yes, and puzzle world, lava glass world, and er, climbing frame 'world'. So you will be stopping off a lot to take in those sites.

(And they give you about 5 metre warning before a turn off to an attraction, so be on your guard and add an hour to your days journey just for 'finding a place to do a 360 in!).
Sounds like there are some super cool places there! I know the littl'un will love "Climbing Frame World".

hope you find thats constructive advice btw, it was meant to be
I most definitely do, thank you so much Kate!

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Yep that mountain road from Napier to Taupo whilst stunning (if your the passenger ) is very long, winding and bloody steep. There are loads of overtaking spots though and the road is good. Its just that I wouldnt recomend the driver taking in the scenery too much. Its a long way doooooowwwwn

Also there is nothing and Im mean nothing for a long, long way. So if you need the bog, the wildlife gets it
Just like driving in the Massif Central in France then. Thanks for the input, very much appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

My Kiwi friend has just sent me a map of NZ and her suggested itinerary, which includes Napier and Hawkes Bay. I said we really don't have the time to go there! She said she only suggested it cos the climate is better there.I agree with Paul it's too remote. We went to Gisbourne (for Millenium )and that felt remote!

Paul - Karma to you- great post.

Maz we might bump into you at some point! Our route is:
10th -12th April- Auck
12-15th Tauranga
15-17th Wellington. 17th Marton- kiwi friends
18-19th Auckland
19th-21st Singapore - home a quick visit cos we only have 2 weeks leave!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:52 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by helinuk
My Kiwi friend has just sent me a map of NZ and her suggested itinerary, which includes Napier and Hawkes Bay. I said we really don't have the time to go there! She said she only suggested it cos the climate is better there.I agree with Paul it's too remote. We went to Gisbourne (for Millenium )and that felt remote!

Paul - Karma to you- great post.

Maz we might bump into you at some point! Our route is:
10th -12th April- Auck
12-15th Tauranga
15-17th Wellington. 17th Marton- kiwi friends
18-19th Auckland
19th-21st Singapore - home a quick visit cos we only have 2 weeks leave!
We'll overlap in Auckland on the 19th. Would love to meet up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.