British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Thinking of moving to Tauranga (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/thinking-moving-tauranga-785339/)

ad132 Jan 28th 2013 12:18 am

Thinking of moving to Tauranga

Right first of I appologise for the length of this post in advance but just wanted to gather a bit of info! :D I have done loads of research but always best to get further info

1) Basically I have been offered a Job in Tuaranga and am weighing up if to take the big jump or not! I will give a few details on offer as feel would help with replies ... so its basic $70,000 + bonus (im currently on £24,000 in uk and no bonus), return airflight, $1,500 relocation costs, medical insurance plus a few other benefits, but have to sign 3 year contract .... first and foremost would this be a good wage to live on in the area? My lifestyle in uk is play football 3 times a week, memeber of a gym, out on a sat night and nice meals 2/3 times a month, cinema 2/3 times a month.

2) About me ... im early 30s and like outdoors life, beach, walking, cycling etc so like the look of the area and would be coming over with partner who is mid 20s .... she is worried the area may not having much going on for young people so anyone info on nightlife and if its a 'happening' area.

3) Job opportunitys for partner - whats jobs like in the area? She is highly educated - 1st class degree and distiction in her masters in english and works in PR/Marketing writing website content, brochures, profiles etc. She is worried that wont be much opportunity there, we hae vused loads of jobsites found and not much in terms of marketin/pr. Looked at prioty one as as well

4) Have people moved there without being to country first?! I have always liked the idea of NZ - Weather, outdoors lifestyle, laid back etc - others think im mad to consider moving somewhere never been!

To sum up would love to hear info on tauranga/bay of plenty and the area. It is mainly my partner who as reservations, if it was just me would just take the plunge .... im lucky with my job could move to NZ and if didnt like could easily just jump straight back into work elsewhere.

Anyway hope to hear from people and thanks for reading :thumbup:

MrsFychan Jan 28th 2013 1:20 am

Re: Thinking of moving to Tauranga

can't advise about area or job situation but we came over without having been to the country and so far so good. weather down in Wellington is a very mixed bag, again no idea about Tauranga but sure someone will be along soon.

You're relocation costs and return flights is that what the job offer has as part of the deal?

DennisBergkamp Jan 28th 2013 1:25 am

Tauranga is pretty nice
I'd say 70k is plenty to live up there

Few places in the area to see such as Rotorua
not too far from Coromandel and Auckland too

Cant comment on nightlife as i've only ever spent 4 nights there.
A lot of younger people head to the Mt - Mt Maunganui, which is pretty much a coastal suburb of Tauranga. Gets busy in summer - lots of gigs and parties then

ad132 Feb 3rd 2013 11:03 pm

MrsFychan ... sorry been away so only just seen reply .... yes flights and relocation costs both included with job offer

Synky Feb 3rd 2013 11:09 pm

Good for you getting a pay bump! Flights and relocation fee - did you get any container or visa costs? Just trying to find out what usual packages are like. Thanks.

ad132 Feb 3rd 2013 11:12 pm

They paying and helping with application for visa for me yes

concretepump Feb 5th 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ad132 (Post 10523053)
They paying and helping with application for visa for me yes

hi we have just came back from holiday in tauranga staying with friends,
we did go to the cinema, cost to see the hobbit two people with pop corn $41
lovey place to live lots to do , $70,000 no problum to live on :thumbsup:

ad132 Feb 5th 2013 9:26 am

Thanks for reply... Price not far off our Vue cinema if you don't go on an orange wed :-)

bolton1 Mar 1st 2013 9:56 am

We love it - especially in summer - quieter in winter , depends what you are into but loads of sports clubs etc to meet people , great outdoors, not an abundance of nightlife but enough bars and variety of eateries, French, mexican , Indian , Thai etc , choice of cinemas including a child free one that has a bar . heaps of Gyms and fitness centres etc.

Subsidised gym membership at the hospital if thats where you are heading

good luck

Margaret Parkinson Mar 1st 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Julie (bolton1) long time no see.

Julie is quite right in what she says. Our family live in Tauranga and we have been on holiday there 6 times. It all depends on what you want out of life and Tauranga according to statistics is one of the fastest growing area in NZ.

http://www.newzealand.com/int/tauranga/

Good luck

Snap Shot Mar 2nd 2013 2:50 am

OP, sounds like an attractive package, you might as well go for it. To bad about the three year 'lock - in' period. If you turn it down you might regret :frown: it later. I don't think you'll get an offer as good as that again for NZ.

bolton1 Mar 2nd 2013 4:35 am

Hi Julie (bolton1) long time no see.

Julie is quite right in what she says. Our family live in Tauranga and we have been on holiday there 6 times. It all depends on what you want out of life and Tauranga according to statistics is one of the fastest growing area in NZ.

http://www.newzealand.com/int/tauranga/

hello there :) yes I have been away from here for ages but just happened to pop in - I might even update my update !! Hope you are ok sorry we missed you on your last trip , maybe next time XXX

northeastlad Mar 2nd 2013 12:08 pm

Tauranga is the sunniest place on North Island I hear (makes a big difference to S.A.D. sufferers like me!) but I was always told its the Florida of NZ, i.e. retiree magnet. Not so sure of that claim myself as seemed very youthful, vibrant city to me! One of those places that isn't top of your list to settle but actually, is probably very good place to do so. I really enjoyed the place when I passed through it. Lots of places to be physically active, including Mount Maunganui.

scottishstacey Mar 2nd 2013 2:37 pm

I really like the look of it, would definitely live there i think!

Rolfie Mar 2nd 2013 4:02 pm

Lived there for a couple of years, about 6 years ago. Absolutely loved it. It has something for everyone (pretty much). Great weather, fantastic beaches at Papamoa, loads of eateries, caters for just about every hobby I can think of. Good communication link, having Tauranga airport, and handy to Rotorua and a few other smallish towns.
Only downside (for me), was/is housing very expensive.
Could I cope with 3 years living there? Oooooh yesss!
Good luck with whatever you decide, and feel free to PM if you think I can help at all.