Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to NZ - geotechnical engineer

Thinking of moving to NZ - geotechnical engineer

Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Clueless83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to NZ - geotechnical engineer

Hi

Me and my partner are looking into moving to NZ. He is a geotechnical engineer and Im a Physio. We have a three year old daughter and I am currently pregnant. We wouldn't move until after the baby is born.

I know there are a Physio jobs in NZ - I am registered with the Physio board.
I am wanting to find out more about opportunities for my partner as he will be the main bread winner. He has a degree is geology and about 10 years post grad experience. He isn't chartered and doesn't have a masters.
I need to know that if we move, we are going to be better off with better long term prospects for my partner. Does anyone know much about geotechnical engineering jobs in NZ? And about pay?
We are thinking of moving to find a better quality of life for our family.

Any help/ advice would be really appreciated
Old Dec 29th 2013, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to NZ

Originally Posted by Clueless83

What specifically does 'a better quality of life' mean for you and your partner? What is it that you're hoping to gain that you feel you can't get in the UK?

Not being unhelpful, but some things in New Zealand aren't necessarily better. Some things are. What is it that you're both looking for?
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:40 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Try around the Chch area for your hubbies trade.
http://www.geoconsult.co.nz/aboutus.htm
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you need to find out first if you can get visa's which would allow you to work and live in NZ. Check out the Immigration website http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm

physio is on the Long term skills shortage list, there are three listed you need to make sure you fit one of them. Looks like you would need to be NZ registered as well.

NZ has all the same problems as any other country, its a bit behind the times of the UK and some things are more expensive as NZ is so far away from other places that the cost of shipping just hypes the prices which also means that the variety is less. It is a beautiful looking country with large masses of open space which is then broken up with towns where living space is heaped on top of each other.

Can I ask why you are considering NZ against other places?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Stevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the rough

I wouldnt have thought your husband would have much difficultly finding work as a geotech engineer. I am building services engineer and managed to find work before we left the UK.We went to Christchurch and despite the obvious difficulties of the city being damaged and rebuilt, there was so much to be positive about and a real relief from the depressing atmosphere of the UK.

NZ is laid back, loads of free events and open air concerts, lots of green open space, trekking, skiing, beaches, nature, watersports etc so if you are an outdoor family then I dont think you can go wrong. just dont expect everything to be the same or cost the same - some things are more pricey but we found that our weekly groceries were about the same as the UK, eating out it pretty reasonable and you get more house for your money (although not always the the same quality in terms of build so be careful on that one) but lots of places are family friendly and free and you dont get robbed by the utility companies and government quite so much.

It really depends on the lifestyle you want - I hate the big UK cities, UK politics, the miserable weather, the poor accessibility to the outdoors, the cost of activites etc and I found NZ suited what I wanted from life.

We now have a 9 month old boy (whom we had back in the UK) and are now getting ready to return to NZ - it will be such a better place to bring him up than the UK (with its over population, traffic jammed roads, over-subscribed schools and universities, over-the-top politically correct and over hyped health and safety policies)!

My boy can grow up in the outdoors, in good schools, with real zest for life, and proud of where he is from.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Clueless83
Hi

Me and my partner are looking into moving to NZ. He is a geotechnical engineer and Im a Physio. We have a three year old daughter and I am currently pregnant. We wouldn't move until after the baby is born.

I know there are a Physio jobs in NZ - I am registered with the Physio board.
I am wanting to find out more about opportunities for my partner as he will be the main bread winner. He has a degree is geology and about 10 years post grad experience. He isn't chartered and doesn't have a masters.
I need to know that if we move, we are going to be better off with better long term prospects for my partner. Does anyone know much about geotechnical engineering jobs in NZ? And about pay?

Any help/ advice would be really appreciated
Geotechnical engineering jobs

Wellington, Wellington, Wellington, Wellington, Wellington!!!

You are lucky as a Physio that your job is on the skills shortlist as well. Either can be the main applicant

The pay in Wellington would be better than most (bar Auckland). Plus cost of living there isn't too bad. It is expensive but not a patch on the other 2 cities