Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to nz

thinking of moving to nz

Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default thinking of moving to nz

hi every1,
hope your all well, im new to this and basically me and my family are thinking of emmergrating to new zealand, my hubby is a joiner/carpenter by trade with a HNC and about 20 years experiance, i have a diploma in psychology but with no experiance as ive just finished my course this year. i have two girls 12 and 9 years old and i want them to have the opportunity to live a better life, the reason we are moving.
we have been told that the best place to live in north island would be the bay of plenty i think the taranga area.
my hubby has been to new zealand backpacking many years ago and tells me it is a beautiful place, the thing is before we put in our visa application there is many questions to ask and many answers to seek out. we have a rough idea how things work to emmergrate, but we need to know things like how morgages work, where the best place is to live, schools and fees. hidden costs in buying property, how much to run a car, medical fees over there ect the list goes on.
could anybody help us get a better understanding so we can start our dream off
many thanks
kira x
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking of moving to nz

Originally Posted by kira
hi every1,
hope your all well, im new to this and basically me and my family are thinking of emmergrating to new zealand, my hubby is a joiner/carpenter by trade with a HNC and about 20 years experiance, i have a diploma in psychology but with no experiance as ive just finished my course this year. i have two girls 12 and 9 years old and i want them to have the opportunity to live a better life, the reason we are moving.
we have been told that the best place to live in north island would be the bay of plenty i think the taranga area.
my hubby has been to new zealand backpacking many years ago and tells me it is a beautiful place, the thing is before we put in our visa application there is many questions to ask and many answers to seek out. we have a rough idea how things work to emmergrate, but we need to know things like how morgages work, where the best place is to live, schools and fees. hidden costs in buying property, how much to run a car, medical fees over there ect the list goes on.
could anybody help us get a better understanding so we can start our dream off
many thanks
kira x
Hi, been here 3 years. To buy a house will cost you about $1200 or so in legal fees. A written builders report up to $4-500. A valuation around $300 and MOST importantly a LIM for about $500. The latter is a land info. memo held by the council..basically its a dossier on your home. Full of interesting and sometime ugly facts.

School fees are around $200 per annum. To run a car is about $500 p/a ins, 2 MOTs (WoF's) p/a are about $80 and gas is about to hit $2 a litre:curse:

Cars are from $2k right up to $3.8 million for a McLaren I saw on trademe recently!!

Look at www.trademe.co.nz its our e bay it has utterly everything for sale and will give you an idea of prices of things.

For a family of 5 food around $300plus per week and bills will be around another $150-175. Tax is 19.5 % up to the 1st $38K...$38-about$60ish is $34%. There is no tax free on any of it..you pay from the ist dollar earned.

For adults doctor visit is about $40..$20 if you are over $45.

Young kids are free up to a certain age..but the costs for non adults are minimal.

www.propertbrokers.co.nz will give you an ide of houses.

www.mortgagelink.co.nz will help you re mortgages. Interest rates are around 9-10% just now. Housing market is in decay..bargains soon to be had.

Know nothing of BoP other than its a v desireable area..houses are accordingly marked up...so even in a buyers market you will pay more for your house there than somewhere less desireable for example like where I live!

Ask in the main forum about life in BoP.

Good luck.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

hiya
we r in Tauranga, and yep, house prices are up!! we found it cheaper to build our own...4bed detached for approx $350,000. food not much different than uk!!! we feed family of 5 on $200-$250 a week. Buying cars is up to you...a banger or a good one!!! I think prices are very similar to uk but wages are generally less!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by krissie
hiya
we r in Tauranga, and yep, house prices are up!! we found it cheaper to build our own...4bed detached for approx $350,000. food not much different than uk!!! we feed family of 5 on $200-$250 a week. Buying cars is up to you...a banger or a good one!!! I think prices are very similar to uk but wages are generally less!!
hi krisse,
thanks for the advise, we have been browsing the for sale sites and have come across some really nice propertys which are 3 bedrooms with big land (bigger than the uk anyhow,lol), we are hoping once we hve sold our house that we have enough to buy outright, but im not sure how planning works! the reason is we would like to be able to extend maybe put like a workshop/bedroom type room on our land when we buy so that we have plenty of room for our family to come over and stay. when looking at propertys we have seen some saying free hold land and some with rates, can u extend on either or is there no way of extended, it does get abit confusing, lol.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, been here 3 years. To buy a house will cost you about $1200 or so in legal fees. A written builders report up to $4-500. A valuation around $300 and MOST importantly a LIM for about $500. The latter is a land info. memo held by the council..basically its a dossier on your home. Full of interesting and sometime ugly facts.

School fees are around $200 per annum. To run a car is about $500 p/a ins, 2 MOTs (WoF's) p/a are about $80 and gas is about to hit $2 a litre:curse:

Cars are from $2k right up to $3.8 million for a McLaren I saw on trademe recently!!

Look at www.trademe.co.nz its our e bay it has utterly everything for sale and will give you an idea of prices of things.

For a family of 5 food around $300plus per week and bills will be around another $150-175. Tax is 19.5 % up to the 1st $38K...$38-about$60ish is $34%. There is no tax free on any of it..you pay from the ist dollar earned.

For adults doctor visit is about $40..$20 if you are over $45.

Young kids are free up to a certain age..but the costs for non adults are minimal.

www.propertbrokers.co.nz will give you an ide of houses.

www.mortgagelink.co.nz will help you re mortgages. Interest rates are around 9-10% just now. Housing market is in decay..bargains soon to be had.

Know nothing of BoP other than its a v desireable area..houses are accordingly marked up...so even in a buyers market you will pay more for your house there than somewhere less desireable for example like where I live!

Ask in the main forum about life in BoP.

Good luck.
hi genesis,
thanks for the great information it helps to know a little of everything before making a final decision on moving and looking at the information you have provided has now made me want to move more,lol.
i still have loads of questions but for the time being i have loads to look at and research with the information you have given me.
many thanks its really appreciated.