Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to nz

thinking of moving to nz

Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:41 am
Just Joined

jess and toby is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile thinking of moving to nz

me and partner and our 2 kids are thinking of moving to nz partner has no formal qualifications, i have qualification in computers.
were looking at going over on a 6 month holiday visa, if we decided to move to nz what's the quickest way to get into nz?
say were over on our hoilday and if either of us got a job offer what would happen at end of 6 months?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: thinking of moving to nz

If you get a job offer whilst on holiday, you will have to apply for a work permit. That may take a week or so to process and your employer may have to justify why they are employing you rather than a Kiwi, but its been done by several on this site.

Then you won't need to worry about the 6 months, as you apply for a permit to match the duration of your work contract. This is probably a bit simplistic, but others will be able to provide more detail.

Good luck
Alison
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littleal
If you get a job offer whilst on holiday, you will have to apply for a work permit. That may take a week or so to process and your employer may have to justify why they are employing you rather than a Kiwi, but its been done by several on this site.

Then you won't need to worry about the 6 months, as you apply for a permit to match the duration of your work contract. This is probably a bit simplistic, but others will be able to provide more detail.

Good luck
Alison
thank you that is a great help.
are you in nz?
if so where abouts?
whats it like in nz?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Not yet - we went for a reccy last April with 2 kids. I actually went into the Immigration office in Wellington and made some enquiries about visas, and the man was bending over backwards to help me stay there. I had to say actually I've got to go back and work my notice, sell the house, etc.

We did a whistle-stop tour of both islands and loved NZ. We came back to the UK and tried to get me a job in Christchurch but that was difficult from this distance. However a wonderful opportunity came up in Hamilton so that is where we are headed in two weeks' time.

People are very helpful on here so just keep asking questions.

Alison
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littleal
Not yet - we went for a reccy last April with 2 kids. I actually went into the Immigration office in Wellington and made some enquiries about visas, and the man was bending over backwards to help me stay there. I had to say actually I've got to go back and work my notice, sell the house, etc.

We did a whistle-stop tour of both islands and loved NZ. We came back to the UK and tried to get me a job in Christchurch but that was difficult from this distance. However a wonderful opportunity came up in Hamilton so that is where we are headed in two weeks' time.

People are very helpful on here so just keep asking questions.

Alison
hiya thanks for that yeah we will keep asking questions.
we hope you enjoy living over there.
could you keep in touch with us to let us know what's it like please.
wish you all the best
jess and toby
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jess and toby
whats it like in nz?
What is what like in New Zealand? I love these incredibly broad questions.
erm...Nice scenery, uncrowded, many friendly people, relatively mild weather and the All Blacks are some of the positives...crap drivers, low wages relative to prices of many consumer goods, expensive wooden tents that pass for the housing stock, shockingly high electric bills, useless judiciary system and so on are a few of the negatives. For most it all balances out.

I like it here.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

That just about sums it up!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
What is what like in New Zealand? I love these incredibly broad questions.
erm...Nice scenery, uncrowded, many friendly people, relatively mild weather and the All Blacks are some of the positives...crap drivers, low wages relative to prices of many consumer goods, expensive wooden tents that pass for the housing stock, shockingly high electric bills, useless judiciary system and so on are a few of the negatives. For most it all balances out.

I like it here.
Also add the Finn musical dynasty, expensive broadband (aye right, its ADSL!), cheap Japanese cars, excessive wind in Welly, loads of backpackers passing through, trains on the wrong gauge lines for the rest of the world, brain drain to Aussie, expensive flights in and out and around, hardly any shops you have heard of, clothing that seems to stem from 20 years ago fashion, more sheep than you would know what to do with, great fruit and veg (of crazy varying prices!), brilliant coffee in Wellington, Peter Jackson, Hobbits at every street corner, a lovely bunch of British ex-pats....

And a random obession with various forms of the musical form know as "dub" which I think, at 30, I must be too old to understand! Thankfully the local music scene is quite vibrant!

But I'm loving it!!