Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to New Zealand

Thinking of moving to New Zealand

Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Bluemax32000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Hello Everyone,
This is my second introduction!, made a mistake of using my business email address, but it was the only one i had until now.
I have been thinking of moving to New Zealand for a while now.
I have a ltd company doing plumbing and Heating business and not sure what i have to do to bring this to NZ.
We have 3 children aged 9, 12 and 6 months old.
We are moving as a family with the inlaws in tow as these are the only family that my wife has and are very close, They are retired and have good pensions & own their own home.
Not sure of what place to settle down in in NZ as i am looking for a place to suit all of our needs.
couple of questions if anyone can help?

1, How easy is it to buy a home in NZ & what type of currency rate is it against the pound?.
2, Do i have to pay taxes when i enter the country? or will i be taxed on the amount of money being brought into the country when i arrive.
3, How do UK pensions work in NZ.

Sorry for all the questions at this stage, but as i said before, this is the second introduction.
Regards

Mr S Banks

Hi Bev,
Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Just a bit of background on my wife and i.

I was a pharmaceutical scientist for 18 years, combining commissioning and validation of pharmaceutical pilot plants including PSS & PCs control systems., Laboratory Technician, Chemistry pilot Pilot plant pharmaceutical Production, Process Technologist.

As a Plumber I have C & G 1 & 2 and advanced C & G 6089, two NVQ's in plumbing, so i am classed as a plumbing professional in England.
I have a electrical qualification C & G Part P.
Solar powered heating installation, underfloor heating Installation.(if their is any call for this type of system in NZ)
CITB in Unvented systems.
I am just qualifying now for Gas Fitter, Corgi or Gas safe.

My wife has worked in the NHS for 21 years as a medical secretary, she has experience of working in a community drug and alcohol team dealing with challenging clients and running a needle exchange. Also she is currently working in mental health as a secretary for an Assertive Outreach Team who deal with clients who cannot be managed by local community mental health teams. She also volunteers for a Friendship scheme for people with mental health problems and is looking at becoming a support worker for people assisting community psychiatric nurses and social workers this is a skill she would like to bring over and an area she is interested in working in.

this is a little background on us, so i hope it helps.
regards

Mr S Banks

Hi Bev,
Thanks for the information.
We will be buying our home outright when we come over.
The in-laws would fill in the documentation to come over on investment as they will be buying a home outright and have a lot of money to spare & good pensions.
The only thing is is that we were thinking of getting a larger property so we could all live together, is that possible?
I will find out which gives me the better head start on the job fronts.
How long does it usually take on either of the entries into New Zealand?.
Our next door neighbour is a NZ lady and her family still live outhere..
I may be able to get some info from here to.
You are a great help Bev.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 17th 2010 at 9:32 am. Reason: merge
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand

Thank you for changing your username and coming back to us. It is good to know that you received my email to your company promptly.
It wasn't the email addy that was the problemo . It was the username.

Kia Ora and welcome to the NZ forum

This part of the forum is for intros really .

Have you decided what visa you wish to enter New Zealand under.
Are you looking at investment. Long term business visa or skilled migrant?

You can buy a home in NZ.

Look at the forex companies for the rate of exchange.

Not sure what you mean by paying taxes to enter the country. Please elaborate.

Pension transfer to anywhere in theworld is complicated. What type of UK pension are you thinking of?

Can we start with this please and build in that.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Re. Skilled Migrant Category.
You will need to have NVQ 3 or above / C&G 1 plus 2 advanced in plumbing and heating to claim points for this trade skill.
Plumbing is not on the shortages lists right now so no extra points as New Zealand does not have as shortage of this trade skill right now ---- recession bites.

You cannot come over and just start a plumbing company , unless it is under the long term business visa or investment. If you are thinking about plumbing in New Zealand then we should have a conversation about what you may be allowed and not allowed to do.

Are you thinking to emigrate to New Zealand with a view to starting a plumbing and heating business as this will not be straightforward as an overseas plumber because of the NZ plumbing boards licensing and registration here.

Do you know which category of visa you will apply to emigrate under?

Skilled migrant on the back of your plumbing qualifications
Skilled migrant on the back of your previous profession
or if you have the money, perhaps under one of the investors categories.

Re. the in-laws. You can't just bring them here 'in tow'. You need to have permanent resident status for several years first.

Yes . Solar and underfloor heating happens in NZ.

I'm mindful this is the intro thread, so perhaps start a new thread in the NZ immigration forum about visas and perhaps another about plumbing requirements in the main NZ forum. I can talk about the requirements re plumbing and gasfitting in NZ as my husband does just that.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 17th 2010 at 7:03 pm. Reason: merge & edit content
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Regarding parents - to sponsor them you'll need 3 years residency AND there is a 18 - 24 month waiting list. You'll perhaps need to look at alternatives solutions to get them in.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/live/parent/
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Bluemax32000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can they get in on their own if they want to relocate into NZ?
They have a lot of money and don't need any help from the state?.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:12 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

im not sure but id say a big NO on that as I dont think there is a retierment visa here and im afraid money or health dont on there own give you a right to live here.

I think its a case of applying for PR or they could do 9 months here 9 months uk and so on summer in both countries?

best to just call the experts at NZIS rather than clutch at straws.

good luck

george
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bluemax32000
Can they get in on their own if they want to relocate into NZ?
They have a lot of money and don't need any help from the state?.

1. If they really do have lots of cash - and i mean lots then there's an investment visa....

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../investor1.htm

2. Or apply for residency themselves - depends on age, skills and qualifications etc

3. Or maybe investigate starting a business