Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to the Kapiti Coast

Thinking of moving to the Kapiti Coast

Old Oct 19th 2015, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to the Kapiti Coast

In my opinion, the OP has only 3 x options :-
(a) Parent of a NZ Resident or Citizen via the Family Category, OR
(b) Parent Retirement Category.
(c) Investor/Entrepreneur Categories.

I'm guessing the OP wouldn't be eligible or wouldn't want to entertain either (b) or (c) and as they have mentioned are going down the route of (a) and using the Tier 1 route.

No matter what, one of the principal criteria of this category is that their adult child who must support/sponsor them is an NZ Resident or Citizen and has been for 3 years and also lives in NZ and will remain in NZ.
How that adult child gains or has gained NZ Residency or Citizenship is irrelevant as the rule is they must have held NZ Residency or Citizenship for 3 years before they are eligible to support/sponsor their retired parents coming to NZ.
3 years is 3 years and doesn't pass any quicker if that adult child has gained the necessary status via Australia, NZ or any other country.

The OP cannot specifically use their sons-in-law as they are not their adult children - only their daughters, however the sons-in-law can be joint supporters/sponsors with their wives who are the adult children of the OP.

I guess the daughter married to an Australian Citizen and living in the UK does not have any right to live permanently in NZ irrespective that quite rightly her Australian Citizen husband would get an NZ Resident Visa on crossing the border so that route isn't available to the OP as that daughter isn't eligible to support/sponsor the OP.
That leaves the daughter and kiwi husband who already live in Auckland. The OP states the daughter has lived in Auckland for 3 years, so there is a chance that she could be eligible, however, her eligibility to support/sponsor the OP all depends on her current visa status and if she is a Resident or Citizen and if so she must have held that status for a minimum 3 years.
If she does not meet this criteria then the OP would have to wait until she does as applications cannot be made retrospectively before eligibility is met.

Hopefully their Immigration adviser is up to speed and has a plan.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

Good luck with everything! We live in Kapiti too and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
In my opinion....
Are we talking at cross-purposes here perhaps.

The OP has submitted an EOI and I assume that this is the Tier One parent category. Their offspring in Auckland is eligible to sponsor this application. They are just awaiting selection from the EOI pool.

The Australian in-law is eligible to enter in his own right and will take up NZ residence. In theory as an NZ resident , his wife ( their daughter ) can become NZ resident also using the partnership route. It would be their own application independent of the OPs Tier one parent application who is using the Auckland offspring as sponsor .

Anyway. It seems they will all make it to the Kapiti coast at some stage.

edit.....

The next draw from the pool is this coming November. Not having been selected in the Aug 2015 draw.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Are we talking at cross-purposes here perhaps.

The OP has submitted an EOI and I assume that this is the Tier One parent category. Their offspring in Auckland is eligible to sponsor this application. They are just awaiting selection from the EOI pool.

The Australian in-law is eligible to enter in his own right and will take up NZ residence. In theory as an NZ resident , his wife ( their daughter ) can become NZ resident also using the partnership route. It would be their own application independent of the OPs Tier one parent application who is using the Auckland offspring as sponsor .

Anyway. It seems they will all make it to the Kapiti coast at some stage.

edit.....

The next draw from the pool is this coming November. Not having been selected in the Aug 2015 draw.
Yes we certainly are but you are the one at cross purposes.

The OP has stated "we are aiming to apply", which, in my opinion means they have yet to submit the EOI and the OP doesn't actually state that the daughter in Auckland is eligible to be the sponsor. All they state is that she has lived in Auckland for 3 years.
They are not waiting for EOI selection as they have not yet submitted. They only had a "summit meeting" yesterday and have decided to use an immigration consultant to assist in their application.

You may be getting confused with another poster elaineesther1953 who seems to be in the same boat but has already submitted EOI May 2015 and is patiently waiting.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Y

You may be getting confused with another poster elaineesther1953 who seems to be in the same boat but has already submitted EOI May 2015 and is patiently waiting.
Ooo yis ! You're right. Ignore me. I'm having a mental moment.
Think I'll go and lie down in a dark place now and wait for the one remaining defective brain cell to recharge a little.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 5:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Think I'll go and lie down in a dark place now and wait for the one remaining defective brain cell to recharge a little.
Gin always helps!
Old Oct 19th 2015, 6:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I think Pollyana and I were talking about the UK daughter getting Oz PR while in the UK on the basis of partnership. Now I had thought that getting a partnership visa to Oz meant a temporary two year one that was only turned into a proper PR partnership visa if you live in Oz for two years. However, it sounds like Pollyana might be saying that marriage and kids for X many years is a short cut to a permanent visa without needing to go onshore to Oz for 2 years. If this was the case, then that partnership visa might be enough to get the daughter into NZ and start the 2 year clock here to getting NZ PR.

Is that what you were saying, Pollyana?

It all sounds exhausting - defo worth getting a competent immi advisor but one who knows their stuff re Oz also. If I were the poster I would hop along to the Oz forum and ask there about partnership visas.
Yes its like a short-cut. Two years married/cohabiting with child(ren) of the relationship or three years without, and the applicant goes straight to PR, no need for the two years temp visa first

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 19th 2015 at 6:50 am.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 6:59 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes its like a short-cut. Two years married/cohabiting with child(ren) of the relationship or three years without, and the applicant goes straight to PR, no need for the two years temp visa first
That would be my plan then.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:00 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I totally missed that there are two posters asking similar Qs on the thread - this is why folk need avatars!