Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving early next year, any advice?

Thinking of moving early next year, any advice?

Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Mitzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving early next year, any advice?

Hi

I am not sure whether to post this under immigration or under here, but I thought it would be more appropriate here… After much persuasion from me, my fiance and I moved to the Caribbean. We both had jobs, but things have turned pretty bad, when his work permit got rejected as a local wanted the job (fair enough I suppose) and to say that I hate my job is an understatement, and I can’t leave this job as I need a release letter before I can go to another. My fiancé can’t get another job as they really don’t come up that often (he works in IT, and here there are not so many IT jobs). I am an accountant. Well, he has mentioned before about going to NZ and this has come up again. We can’t stay here, we don’t want to go back to the UK, and we were thinking of going for a little travel anyway, when he mentioned about getting a temporary job in NZ and see how we like it (Crazy plan I know, but hey..). I looked into visas, and I think a temporary visa might be the way to go (I am 29 so not sure if I could go on the working holiday visa, based on the fact that I would be looking to work full time, he is over 30).
I have seen a few jobs in NZ, but how easy is it to get a job in IT/accountancy if you are not from there and just turn up? I was thinking of going as a visitor, and seeing if anything turns up…
I know these questions are a bit vague but if anyone could give any advice it would be much appreciated!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thinking of moving early next year, any advice?

Before I moved over, I was in contact with some recruitment consultants here in NZ. They advised that my CV was very good etc etc, but that I wouldnt get job offers until I was over here in the country, and available for interview. Plus, I was also told that it proves to the employer that I was serious about living in NZ. All this aside, I managed to get employment before I got to NZ, and this was I could apply for PR.
It may be worth, if you can afford it, to take the plunge by coming over? It sounds like you have nothing to lose where you are now, so why not? If you dont like it here, there is always Australia next door?
I am sure you have been looking already, but have a look on seek.co.nz, and also try googling recruitment consultants and calling them directly.
I am not too sure how the job market is here at the moment (NZ is in recession), but I am guessing the best area for your job will be Auckland?
Good luck!!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Mitzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!!

Thank for your help, your advice certainly helps!! We are definitely coming over, in fact I have been looking at flights all day today. I just can’t believe how bad it has all turned out here, and I am most definitely never taking a job on without seeing the people and the office! (and there was me thinking that my 15 minute over the telephone interview meant they thought I was really good… that should have sent warning bells ringing..) ah well.
Anyway, I can’t believe I am saying this, but probably be over in mid January (crazy..), staying here is just money down the toilet, as only I work.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:26 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya. A law has just been passed here which enables employers to get rid of crap employees after 90 days (other people look at it differently ) and one of the main benefits I believe will be that immigrants will have a better chance of getting a job. It's not primarily about how well you can do the job here but how you fit in. Again, some people will see that as a bad thing but I don't think it is - what's the point in being brilliant at your job if your personality is one that bristles all the time? Anyway....... accountants are in demand here and if you've got IT experience as well I can't see you having a problem. Have a look on SEEK - I believe at 29 you can get the working holiday visa which will get you in the door at a job and after that it's up to you. There's a member here on BE who came here last January on a working holiday visa, got an entry level job at my company and ended up being promoted to a top level senior position after 3 months