Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to ChCh

Thinking of moving to ChCh

Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

camzee13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to ChCh

hi
we are just thinking about a move to CHCH . any advice?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 29th 2014 at 10:19 pm. Reason: posted in wrong thread.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of moving to ChCh

Hi camzee, where are you from?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Before advice is given, could you further expand as to why you want to come here?
Where are you from originally
Can you legally come here, check immigration New Zealand website to see if you qualify
Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...tchurch+Thread

Hope this helps
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Polly 3
Hi camzee, where are you from?
From the UK - Lancashire. In the final stages of job offer so big decision to be made.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:27 am
Just Joined

We are looking for an improved way of life and i suppose a change from the UK rat race. Work very long hours spend a lot of time on the motorway.... need to change and this opportunity came along.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

depending on the job you might not work less hours here, I know I and my husband both working longer hours than we did in the UK.

As Snap Shot has pointed you to the Christchurch thread have a good read through that as it will give you some insight from people living there.

News report today was reporting the state of housing costs and rental costs in Christchurch so that should be something you seriously look into.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an article about the rental situation. Auckland salaries are a lot higher than Christchurch. One thing you'll have to consider if renting is winter. Warm rentals are not the easiest to obtain.

Rents in Chch close to levels in Auckland | Stuff.co.nz

Then there's an article with a fantastic quote by Peter Townsend about the rebuild. Just giving you an idea that it might not be the predicted 2017/18 that was forecasted by CERA

Chch businesses hitting their straps | Stuff.co.nz

There is also the uncertainty of Christchurch City Council selling their main assets. Dalziel insists this won't happen but they have a huge financial hole to fill for the rebuild. I think Lyttleton Port, Orion and the Airport may be sold. If you are like me, and had your folks tell you the story of Hilda Margaret and Privatisation, keep an open mind

As you say you don't want to work ridiculous hours, I work 40 hours a week minimum. If on the rebuild, you may work longer hours. There have been a few reports on how migrants in particular have been treated on the rebuild

Call to blacklist firms that abuse migrants | Stuff.co.nz

Lastly you mention motorway, don't move to the north

Could carpooling help? | Stuff.co.nz

I registered for the letscarpool site but there's buga all people on that. They did consider rail but rejected that idea. I believe they are looking at increasing buses? If there's more than the 2 a day to the city from Waikuku, it can only be a better idea. However if working away from the city centre (which most businesses do), the convenience won't help matters. It's not easy

Another thing you may want to consider is to read the rebuild Christchurch facebook page just to give you an idea about morale here. I have to say it's not a easy place to live at the moment. You can understand the frustrations some have, also you can understand that it's only going to get better. However as a Pommy barsteward, I remember the last time someone said 'things can only get better' but I won't go off and start talking about UK politics.

Keep an open mind when coming here! I know one person who moved from Birmingham to here as she had enough of the M6 and M42. She lives close to where we live in Amberley and has an hour commute to work now. But this is if you move north. Working hours and the route ahead could impact your life. I think there was a couple on here who were struggling but have now moved to Auckland or Wellington.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

I feel so sorry for the city of Christchurch and its people, such a beautiful part of the world, last time I visited (pre earthquake) I did a garden tour, perfect city, perfect homes and gardens and happy people.
My brother runs a building company down there and personally feel, anyone moving to Christchurch needs to understand its not only a city needing to be rebuilt but the people have had months, years of unbelievable stress and that must take its toll.
The earthquake and its 10's of thousands of after shocks have halted the rebuild, not like cleaning up after a huge flood, those can be treated by just getting on and cleaning up. The quakes caused liquid faction, turing the earth into a liquid that made/make rebuilding impossible in that place. Its VERY upsetting and frustrating. My brother, a master builder, almost went bankrupt as he had no work for over a year. Sounds stupid, with so much needing to be rebuilt, but they COULDNt' do anything.
That all said, I would consider going there, as an avoid gardner and horse person, even in its state atm it has an appeal. Just, as others have said, go with an open mind, the city as a whole is still hurting and its taken a huge emotional toll on the people.
The city that I visited many, many times, was the most beautiful of places and it fair to say the city needs new blood, I would say go and visit first if you can and go with the understanding of just what the people have and are still dealing with.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Camzee, it's not all that bad in Christchurch. True commuting from the north is not funny, housing can be total crap, the wasteland of the CBD isn't inspiring, wages are below Auckland. The city as said above is broke and rates are going up sharply.

However we've lived here for nearly 3 years now. Every week that passes by something reopens i.e Riccarton bush house , a new restaurant/bar pops up i.e Stranges Lane, Brickfarm etc offering more choices and hope. Within a year things will look very different around the CBD, although much more work to do. When I look at our lives in the UK, we've been very, very lucky with our standard of living. I work about the same hours, probably 37+ (my wife puts in 40 hours), we commute 20 mins each way daily. I know our prosperity is because we are double income, no kids and managed to get on the housing ladder. I doubt we'd enjoy this lifestyle if we had kids in tow or didn't both have by Kiwi standards pretty good jobs - we probably wouldn't have made the move otherwise.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 1:46 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree Mark and with the new Hagley park garden shop and cafe and the re opened Hot houses things are really starting to come together...
Old Jul 31st 2014, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

And its 22°C today in the middle of winter
Old Jul 31st 2014, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Old Jul 31st 2014, 3:00 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Shorts an jandals already on.............we've only got 21.3C
Old Jul 31st 2014, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

High of 16°C today in Invercargill - hope the 22°C sticks around for me until the weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.