Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to UK!

Thinking of moving back to UK!

Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:10 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to UK!

Originally Posted by ex geordie
Well we are heading back to north east to start with but want to settle in north yorkshire as it has some beautiful villages .Our family are spread between Durham and York so it will be ideal.
I am from Newcastle been in NZ nearly 8 years and now hoping to move to Devon or Cornwall I don't think I could handle the NorthEast cold now.Mind you the good Indians and chinese and fish and chips could tempt me back.Good luck with your move.
Old May 1st 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

pedro0811 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you're all making really brave decisions. My family and I moved to New Zealand in September 2010 having never been to NZ before and whilst we absolutely love the Country we do miss our friends and family in the UK. In particular, watching the Royal Wedding made me feel incredibly homesick. But everyone has to make the decision that's right for them.......a decision of going back to UK or staying in the NZ is of great magnitude but one which you will think about long and hard before agreeing on what to do.

Hels - if I can be of any help please do pm me - not sure what I can offer, but I will do my best to help in any way!!!

All the best to everyone else as well. Regardless of whether you stay in NZ or return to the UK, just think of the adventure you have travelled so far and the adventure you will continue to have wherever you lay your hat next. You should be very proud of what you have achieved in your life so far
Old May 1st 2011, 3:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels41
I'm new to this site and have been experienced pretty bad homesickness...
Don't we all? Just for a nice pint of cider/beer down the local after work on friday and a bag of chips so you are "less drunk" when you get home to swmbo .

...Of course there is the rubbish stuff as well like the months of rain, crime, living on top of each other, transfering your bank account into your petrol tank with every fill (and you will be driving for a long time if you intend to park anywhere useful), persecution of drivers, good food is expensive, being Americas lapdog, more limited job oppertunity (in terms of position, not pay obviously), yoofs and chav culture, keeping up with the Jonses and resulting Affluenza, social status anxiety, etc.

Also additional worries at the moment about if you will have a job in the long term or if your house will still be worth anything by the time you give it to your children.
Old May 1st 2011, 6:52 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Don't we all? Just for a nice pint of cider/beer down the local after work on friday and a bag of chips so you are "less drunk" when you get home to swmbo .

...Of course there is the rubbish stuff as well like the months of rain, crime, living on top of each other, transfering your bank account into your petrol tank with every fill (and you will be driving for a long time if you intend to park anywhere useful), persecution of drivers, good food is expensive, being Americas lapdog, more limited job oppertunity (in terms of position, not pay obviously), yoofs and chav culture, keeping up with the Jonses and resulting Affluenza, social status anxiety, etc.

Also additional worries at the moment about if you will have a job in the long term or if your house will still be worth anything by the time you give it to your children.
I think they meant they were homesick for the UK not NZ - though I wasn't aware that NZ was America's lapdog, Australia's maybe.....
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah went down to the local for a pint (£3....no wonder the place was nearly empty!) and there were a couple of women over from Oz visiting Stratford u Avon and Warwick castle etc. Their biggest shock about the UK was extortionate car parking charges....they hadn't budgeted for them and being mostly non transferable were racking up one hell of a long bill....on top of their massive fuel costs!
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

C4udynz is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just moved here from the UK due to higher taxes and cut of child benifit, also the major cut of jobs in the public sector
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Agreed!
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Ah went down to the local for a pint (£3....no wonder the place was nearly empty!) and there were a couple of women over from Oz visiting Stratford u Avon and Warwick castle etc. Their biggest shock about the UK was extortionate car parking charges....they hadn't budgeted for them and being mostly non transferable were racking up one hell of a long bill....on top of their massive fuel costs!
We have just returned from UK and as you say transportartion costs are amazing! Haven't been back for 3 or 4 years! It cost 64 pounds to refill my 3/4 empty diesel VW Gulf! 18 pounds to park the car at a hotel in Bristol! The nearest NCP was 17.20 for overnight parking! London Underground 4 quid for 3 stops on the Victoria line and the Gatwick Express 17.90 each single!!!!!
Beer was cheap as we pay up to 6 pounds/pint here in Dubai!!!
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

This is the sort of stuff I am more interested in, to be blunt- than whether my city has a good Indian.

http://www.savethechildren.org/site/...593&ct=9378127

My kids are the reason I'm in NZ. Perhaps subjective in rationale, but factored in with the fact that I do not have to send my kids to a private school, I know where I need to be.

My 5c.
Old May 5th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Ive only been here just over 5 weeks now and this is so spot on as to why i left and my family will be following.. I do miss stuff but not enough to get me going back to that and more.. Nice one C.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Education - Pisa report from Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...world-rankings

The UK is slipping down world education rankings in maths, reading and science, and has been overtaken by Poland and Norway, a major study of 65 countries reveals today.

Around 470,000 15-year-olds across the world sat a numeracy, literacy and science test last year, the results of which inform the latest Pisa study by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

Top countries in the Pisa study

(Shanghai-China)

Korea

Finland

Hong Kong-China

Singapore

Canada

New Zealand

Japan

Australia

This is the main reason why we moved here! Two teachers with 3 young chilren
Old May 5th 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

You factor that (education report from c4udynz) in with the report I provided a link for where you want to be a Mum........with NZ ranked 6th, behind only 4 Scandanavian Countries & Oz.

I'm about to take my 5 yr old boy to his first ever year of sport, tomorrow. The attendance at the parent's evening- to give us the rundown on how the soccer was organised & what the expectations were, was also a pleasant surprise & we (the parents) are expected to play a big part in the day. The outside opportunities afforded a kid growing up here, are in stark contrast to what I experienced in Montreal, where kids were super glued to their game consuls, every spare minute.

I was absolutely staggered when we moved to NZ, how my boy's kiwi cousins, girls to boot- 5 & 8 yr olds, were able to climb trees & hang off monkey bars, this was completely alien to my Canadian raised kid. It was very, very enlightening. There are 4 parks within a square km of my house. Again, using my Montreal experience, there was one, which was overrun with graffiti.

These factors are not all that significant on their own, but when you start to add free education.....a global ranking on where you want to be a Mum.....opportunities for kids, it starts to resonate.

To the original post, though, you can be sure that there is no nirvana, guaranteed template or magic solution, when we move to the other side of the world.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C4udynz
Education - Pisa report from Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...world-rankings

The UK is slipping down world education rankings in maths, reading and science, and has been overtaken by Poland and Norway, a major study of 65 countries reveals today.

Around 470,000 15-year-olds across the world sat a numeracy, literacy and science test last year, the results of which inform the latest Pisa study by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

Top countries in the Pisa study

(Shanghai-China)

Korea

Finland

Hong Kong-China

Singapore

Canada

New Zealand

Japan

Australia

This is the main reason why we moved here! Two teachers with 3 young chilren
Funny how in the 6 years I have been here I have heard sooooooooo much negativity about NZ's education and how great the UK's is by contrast. I have always thought the opposite. I think the above table proves the point. NZ has loads of issues many of which I hate BUT it was a good move for my family to come to live in NZ, ifF ONLY for the children, the life they lead here and the great school they attend.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think believing these studies is a big mistake tbh. According to a similar study the Netherlands is the best place in Europe to be a child. If you've ever lived there, you might question this. They do have a lot of indoor play centres though as it rains a lot.

The truth is that Brits will always slag their country off to market researchers more willingly than other nations' people....we love a good moan and often really don't appreciate what we have. Data available varies a lot in quality and accuracy from country to country.

The truth is that there are good and bad schools, good and bad areas to live, high and low crime areas, good and bad food, exciting and boring things to do, good and bad weather days almost everywhere in the democratic world but what counts is whether you personally as a family can afford to take advantage of them.
Your job may be less secure in UK than it seems in NZ but you can more easily trap yourself in NZ financially than you can in UK.

NZ probably is a good place to be a stay at home Mum if you can afford it as no one seems to look down on you for staying at home like they tend to in UK rather they envy you for not needing to work.
But poorer kids in NZ are definitely suffering more than in UK where healthcare is free at point of use. If it's such a great place for kids....(for young kids it can be good I agree) why is teenage suicide such an issue, why is child abuse so prevalent? What happens when your young adult heads off on their OE?

The main benefit of NZ over UK for my family is the ability to ditch the daily commute....but for Charismatic to say everyone suffers from homesickness, just remember the bad points of UK is just so typical of the attitude on this website that we have to grab every bit of research which backs up the view that 'coming to NZ' was a great decision even if in our heart of hearts we are less sure.
NOWHERE IS PERFECT. THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER. PLEASE VISIT BEFORE EMIGRATING....I can see it's very hard to reverse if you sell up in UK. (I didn't sell up btw).
There's also the extremes here: let me see Christchurch earthquake, tornado in Auckland last week, skin cancer very common and deadly - I know someone dying of this right now.....the only absolute better thing about NZ to UK imho is the MMP electoral system - can't believe those muppets in UK on Thursday rejecting at least partial reform to First Past The Post by 70 to 30 per cent just to get at Clegg it seems. Of course less than half those eligible voted so there must be quite a lot wrong with UK education system and electoral system but that doesn't stop me wanting to return.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Funny how in the 6 years I have been here I have heard sooooooooo much negativity about NZ's education and how great the UK's is by contrast. I have always thought the opposite. I think the above table proves the point. NZ has loads of issues many of which I hate BUT it was a good move for my family to come to live in NZ, ifF ONLY for the children, the life they lead here and the great school they attend.
The NZ system is fine if your child is not in a low decile school....good and bad in everything in all democratic places. Private education is also relative to UK much cheaper here.

Last edited by luvwelly; May 7th 2011 at 5:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.