Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of leaving

Thinking of leaving

Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of leaving

For a while now I've had a niggling thought in the back of my mind that I should go home.
I love it here and know I will miss the place but the longer it goes on the stronger the
yearning to go home is becoming. I think at this point I will stick with NZ until I can
get citizenship next year but if things continue as they are I cant see myself being here much
beyond that unless I have a huge change of heart that right now I cant see happening.
Hmmmmm !!!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:22 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of leaving

Yes I'm familiar with that yearning to go home. Glad to hear you are going to keep your options open. Who knows what the future may bring.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Justcol
For a while now I've had a niggling thought in the back of my mind that I should go home.
I love it here and know I will miss the place but the longer it goes on the stronger the
yearning to go home is becoming. I think at this point I will stick with NZ until I can
get citizenship next year but if things continue as they are I cant see myself being here much
beyond that unless I have a huge change of heart that right now I cant see happening.
Hmmmmm !!!!!!
I thought all of those things about the UK over the past few years, before my increasingly frustrating and likely to be short-lived return to this part of the world. Definitely recommend waiting for citizenship - it's a great insurance policy... oh and see if you can find a job before you pack in your NZ one
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm I think you said it all in that one word. "Home" is here in NZ for me, and I would come back here from somewhere else.

But do stay for long enough citizenship, seems silly not to

Jan
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking of leaving

I can appreciate the soft but relentless call of the open road and adventure . You'd have to have a bloody good reason to choose the UK though.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I can appreciate the soft but relentless call of the open road and adventure . You'd have to have a bloody good reason to choose the UK though.
I'd have agreed a few months ago, but work contacts and family will just about do it for me. And anyway, as far as economies go, Aus and NZ feel a bit like the UK did in 2007 - a fair bit of denial during what turns out to be the "last hurrah" to good times.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Very def I would get your citizenship first, think of it as an insurance policy. Having just left the UK, I can say that we were very lucky to sell our house. My hubby's IT contract had come to an end and there was not much around as lots of companies have outsourced to India. My brother, sister and Dad all tell me that things on the economic and socal front are pretty grim, unemployment at record levels and people not spending like they used to so the ecomony is not able to climb out of the recession.
Yes homesickness is horrible but take out the insurance policy before you leave.
Good luck with your decision
KAZ
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

'stralia will be OK, U.S. imports of Chinese goods are picking up again.

Housing market in the UK is still over-valued on a historic basis. Perhaps still more over valued than NZ even on some measures.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
Yes homesickness is horrible but take out the insurance policy before you leave.
Good luck with your decision
KAZ
Its not homesickness, there are some very personal reasons behind it.
I don't want to go back and live near my family, I would probably choose to live in a completely different part of the country.
I'm not rushing into anything just yet, citizenship is top of the list before anything else.

Last edited by Justcol; Jan 16th 2012 at 5:16 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:32 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have been out for 2 years or or more come back and have a really good revaluation of whether 'home' is actually still here. Services have been hacked back so much since the coalition took over that some areas have become 'fend for yourself'.
Don't try to go back to a point in your memory.....
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:45 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Again, we'll agree to disagree.
Isn't part of the application for citizenship the statement that you will stay?

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...?OpenDocument#

Seems a bit naughty to knowingly plan to fill in a false application. Fraud even.
I'll stay away from this thread now, but just my twopenceworth. Oh, and to those who I've rubbed up the wrong way with this response.......
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Question: What about your children Col? Will they remain here?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

Oh that's a shame. I don't understand that if you love it in NZ you'd want to come back here. Honestly, the place is dull and dreary. But, if you have personal reasons for wanting to come back, you'd can't really argue with that can you?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Question: What about your children Col? Will they remain here?
I have one (17) here with his mum and one (21) at Manchester uni in the uk.
The eldest wont come back to nz, he couldn't wait to leave and I don't see
much of the youngest anymore. (his choice)

Last edited by Justcol; Jan 16th 2012 at 9:16 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have one (17) here with his mum and one (21) at Manchester uni in the uk.
The eldest wont come back to nz, he couldn't wait to leave and I don't see the youngest anymore. (his choice)
Ah! For some reason I thought they were quite a bit younger. Must be the spring chicken in you mate .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.