British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Thinking of going it alone!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/thinking-going-alone-380282/)

spriestley1 Jun 19th 2006 3:56 pm

Thinking of going it alone!!

Hiya, I'm planning the big move to NZ in about a years time, am 24 yrs old and going it alone, has anyone got advice on doing a move like this alone?

nearly nurse Jun 19th 2006 7:33 pm

Re: Thinking of going it alone!!

Originally Posted by spriestley1
Hiya, I'm planning the big move to NZ in about a years time, am 24 yrs old and going it alone, has anyone got advice on doing a move like this alone?

hiya

Not sure if this is the kind of advice your looking for but I just read your thread and instantly thought........'dont think to hard about it'! just do it! (you've prob made up you're mind on that one tho) :) i wish i could have done it when I was as young as you. Just fly by the seat of your pants and have fun all the way!! good luck. :beer: ( I mite be a wee bit jealous ;)

Claire

Joshlin Jun 20th 2006 6:30 am

Hi there
can't remember names of others (think Sugo was one) but there was some info gathering way back about going it alone - do a forum search and it should come up for you
Vicki

England Girl Jun 23rd 2006 6:39 am

I went alone in June 2003, came back in March 05 to tie up loose ends and try to earn some money but i am heading back in 10 weeks time for good. Only this time I won't be alone when I get there!

I was 26 when I went out and wished I'd gone sooner! I'll be 30 this year and I'm excited about making this permanent transition from the UK to NZ. I don't dislike the UK - I'm not going to slag off the land of my birth, especially since my family will still be living here - but I love NZ more.

Go for it - head out on a working holiday visa and if you like it enough apply for PR then. That way you won't have wasted a lot of money (and the meds are cheaper in NZ!).

You will not find out by staying at home and thinking "what if". I'm glad I took the plunge and the only thing I've regretted is deciding to come back (though I've had some great experience sin the past 12 months).

Alison

PS I ended up at the bottom of the Coromandel Peninsula and that's where I'm heading back to. Sugo I think was in the Hutts, think it may be lower but not sure without doing a search.

thebears Jun 23rd 2006 7:35 am

Pack your sense of humour and go with the flow.

You will find it easier to find accomodation ie flatshare. Dpending on vocation work should be your first priority. After deciding where you wish to live :
Get a job
Organise accomodation
Get a car (dont drive yet? learn fast)
Get a local phone
Enjoy your new life :)

Kiwi