Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of England: A confession

Thinking of England: A confession

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:36 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of England: A confession

Population density in Ireland (NZ's median density is 16.4 by comparison):

From experience I can say the west of Ireland is very similar in population density...but it rains a lot more .
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:04 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's called the Emerald isle for good reason....
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:08 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and, of course you would not find paved paths on NZ mountains would you

http://www.mtcooknz.com/mackenzie/Walks/
Nobody said otherwise
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
But isn't that pretty much what Wales and Ireland are for?
Originally Posted by sheene
And rural Cheshire, and Lincolnshire, and Devon, and the Dales and Cumbria etc etc. I jut don't get this crowded thing - it depends on where you are and what you want -surely?
True. I've stated before we should have continued to look far more closely to home than we did. Much of what we couldn't do was governed by employment & property prices. Daft as that might seem.
We had the opportunity to come here because ,despite being an older couple, NZ wanted plumbers/gasfitters and there was employment waiting. There was a time limit points wise, due to our ages, so we grasped the chance rather than do the 'what if' thing.

Originally Posted by DC10
devon, dorset, wales, ireland still have at least 5x nz's population density (and 10x for the first two examples)
I know. We lived that daily life of gridlock, crowds ,traffic jams, many hours of commute and all that stuff. I suppose it's all about what is the best balance for you. A compromise as to what you'll put up with to gain what makes you feel the most happy , settled, fulfilled.

I doubt we'll stay here forever.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Interesting points you make Beb. I think lots of folks don't get to know their own country before they go overseas, and then make wide generalisations about it. I hear lots on here saying Britain is a dump or such like. and I think, well you haven't really travelled much, even in the UK.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Bev, those typing grelims again!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by whitesand
Interesting points you make Beb. I think lots of folks don't get to know their own country before they go overseas, and then make wide generalisations about it. I hear lots on here saying Britain is a dump or such like. and I think, well you haven't really travelled much, even in the UK.
I think you say it all in your last sentence ref the travel. We have really been giving the UK a good look before making a decision and have found some nice to live places. Dorset, North Wales, Durham, Scotland all extremely relaxing and ideal places to settle....until you want to travel and then you have to migrate out into the real UK and wait your turn, Somehow you have to negotiate the mass areas around Manchester, Birmingham and of course London where travel literally becomes a total nightmare. Listen to the National travel problems on the radio and they become longer and longer by the day. Britain is not a dump so it would be nice to get people to stop treating it so.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe not a dump but, economically at least, there is no hiding the fact that it is not in the happy place it was 5-10 years ago.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

That's true, but this place has really changed in the past few years as well. Things are much harder here now and it's showing in many ways. Folks are feeling the pinch and you can see how empty the shops are during the week, and people are thinking twice before spending as much as they used to. And I simply don't believe what the papers keep telling us about house prices going up and up. I think that's all wishful thinking and playing around with figures.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

And I simply don't believe what the papers keep telling us about house prices going up and up. I think that's all wishful thinking and playing around with figures.
It's certainly hard to see why they would go up, given that inflation is around 5% with average pay rises only 2-3%. Also the large numbers of expats (esp. British) bidding up properties must have slowed to a trickle

Incidentally, living in the Southeast I found that the recession really hit traffic volumes. Far fewer traffic jams in the last couple of years than the early ones (2003-06). Or maybe I just learnt to avoid it.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

And I simply don't believe what the papers keep telling us about house prices going up and up. I think that's all wishful thinking and playing around with figures.
We just had the three yearly rates revaluations come through and our Capital value has apparently gone down 10% in the past three years. House is now apparently worth just $10k more than we paid for it six years ago.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:43 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking of England: A confession

To be fair we have been through a property bubble market for about 10+ years.

Pinched from GMI (NZ):

But New Zealanders are earning more than ever before thanks to National thanks to John Key right? Why else would we tolerate his smug smile.

See a trend?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sheene
And rural Cheshire, and Lincolnshire, and Devon, and the Dales and Cumbria etc etc. I jut don't get this crowded thing - it depends on where you are and what you want -surely?

We r in Lincolnshire and it is very rural, not so populated, just not as rural as NZ. All we see r green fields, the leaves falling off the trees in all colours, home is where your heart is
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
We r in Lincolnshire and it is very rural, not so populated, just not as rural as NZ. All we see r green fields, the leaves falling off the trees in all colours, home is where your heart is
Not exactly motorcycling country... flat and straight and bloody big ditches..
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Not exactly motorcycling country... flat and straight and bloody big ditches..
Haha yes u r less likely to crash as u can see for miles. Unfortunately my giant dogs love the ditches, to my horror!! haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.