Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of emigrating - is it worth it?

Thinking of emigrating - is it worth it?

Old Mar 4th 2020, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating - is it worth it?

Ok, the UK wins the where's the shitties place contest
Old Mar 4th 2020, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Ok, the UK wins the where's the shitties place contest
I wouldn't say its the shittiest place.
There just + and - to everywhere.
Only way you know if you like somewhere else is try it.
I try not to compare Anything I did for a month or two Then stopped it as realised there was way to much variables involved. If your happy what does it matter.
Some people like NZ some don't.
But if you wanna immigrate you got be bit selfish with family life and try not to think about it. I left home at 18 and lived away from my family for 20 years before I come here so I don't really suffer from homesickness.
I love my life out ere.
Only thing I really miss is Football. I get up at 6am on Sunday morning to watch the 5.30pm game every week arrrrrggggghhhhhh.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
You got to think about the population differences between the UK and NZ thou
Except those tables say they are ‘percentage of adult population’, so population difference isn’t relevant, NZ still comes out on top by a mile.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Except those tables say they are ‘percentage of adult population’, so population difference isn’t relevant, NZ still comes out on top by a mile.
Well of course it does
NZ is about same land mass with 60 million less people.
so 1% in NZ means there is 50,000 junkies.
1 % in uk there is 650,000 junkies
You trying tell me that doesn't mean anything?
Old Mar 4th 2020, 6:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Well of course it does
NZ is about same land mass with 60 million less people.
so 1% in NZ means there is 50,000 junkies.
1 % in uk there is 650,000 junkies
You trying tell me that doesn't mean anything?
If that’s the way they’ve done it, drug use must be off the scale in NZ to come above the UK or other higher populated countries (if they’re accurate, no idea on that).

But I assumed it meant they’ve done it as a percentage per capita.

Either way, NZ drug use is far higher according to those.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwis lean very much towards the home made and home grown in many things, including their choice of drugs; use of weed and meth is really high because they are relatively cheap and accessible compared to other drugs. In the news last week they reckoned 1:3 adults had tried meth (or P as they call it here) which I found pretty shocking.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Tond3 is an unknown quantity at this point

​​​​​That shit is everywhere, if it eats you up now, wait till you learn about the treaty of waitangi and see how kiwis and the government give millions and millions of dollars to Maori.

Here's a few of the negatives just so you are aware

We have a drug problem way bigger than the UK
Domestic violence is off the scale
Child abuse is almost expected in some communities
Organized gangs are rife and growing
Prison population is near record levels
Housing costs are unreal, there's a real chance your children may never own a home
The political parties are corrupt and money talks
The electoral system is laughable. We have MP's who were never elected
the country is sat comfortably in China's pocket
Immigration rules are bent for Chinese with money
Home ownership rulers are bent for Chinese
The whole country is racist as f##k

I've been here almost 12 years and love it. But you have to put things into perspective.
If you can learn to leave the UK behind, don't compare NZ to the UK and can overcome the home sickness, which can be crippling for some, it's a great place to be.

Do 5 years, get citizenship and you then have instant automatic access to live and work in OZ.

However, like others I feel your motivation is flawed. I'd look to find a happy place closer to home and family. Stop watching the news, stop reading the Daily Mail and step away from social media. The UK still has some fantastic places to live and raise a family. , Maybe try somewhere more rural with a slower pace of life. Devon cornwall, all the Yorkshire Moors, Cumbria, Northumbria are all beautiful areas where you can have a bit of space to breathe You need to stop allowing all the racists and haters from influencing you. So what if someone else, who you don't know and have never met is getting a benefit. Seriously on a day to day basis how does that impact on your life in any way.
Live your own life luv.
who isn’t sat in China’s pocket?
When you say the whole country is racist as fak....is that directed to ‘poms’ or specifically to people of colour?
Housing costs are pretty steep here too, our chances of getting deposits are zilch.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tond3
When you say the whole country is racist as fak....is that directed to ‘poms’ or specifically to people of colour?
Housing costs are pretty steep here too, our chances of getting deposits are zilch.
Pretty much anyone who isn't white

If you used the term people of colour where I live, no one would know what you're on about.
I think the majority of kiwis still use plain English and call a spade a spade, thank goodness

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 4th 2020 at 5:24 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Directed mostly at Maori and Asians with an overarching resentment towards anyone else that wasn't born here. The mosque massacre in Christchurch created a lot of public outcry and led to some random hugging of immigrants for a while but still it is pretty much ingrained. Kiwis tend to brush it off as nothing more tnan good 'banter' .
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Tond3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty much anyone who isn't white

If you used the term people of colour where I live, no one would know what you're on about.
I think the majority of kiwis still use plain English and call a spade a spade, thank goodness
fair enough, there’s no harm in using box standard English, however, they do have their own words they use there, eg Dairy as in corner shop. Coming from UK you would think of dairy as a milk product building.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Directed mostly at Maori and Asians with an overarching resentment towards anyone else that wasn't born here. The mosque massacre in Christchurch created a lot of public outcry and led to some random hugging of immigrants for a while but still it is pretty much ingrained. Kiwis tend to brush it off as nothing more tnan good 'banter' .
Racism is a sign of a weak mind. Anyway, society as a whole has lots of problems, every country has its fair share of cr*p.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

'People of colour' is an American term I thought. My husband's cousins back in the UK call themselves and identify as 'Mixed Race' and 'Black' . That is despite their Mum/Grandmother being 'white'.

Prejudice here is pretty much ingrained. People don't even realise that their way of thinking or talk is sounding incredibly discriminatory. Maori can be like this just as many Pakeha are.

Overall though, for those home grown on NZ turf , there does seem to be an overall dislike of anyone not born here. Tolerated, yes. Included and accepted , no.

One doesn't emigrate to NZ from the UK to escape people that think like this & one shouldn't emigrate to another country ,as an immigrant, if one cannot tolerate immigrants. NZ doesn't need more of that.

It should be a pull to a country , not a push. Mind you the settling thereafter can depend a lot on where you came from and what you come to. Notwithstanding the enormous distance NZ is from everywhere and everything, one should think long and carefully about the reasons to emigrate & bemoaning one's current country of residence as the cause of all woes is not that good a start.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 4th 2020 at 8:39 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

racism is a sign of a weak mind.
No it isn't,
There are so many other factors and influences involved than simply being "weak minded"
What a ridiculous self righteous comment.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

TI agree with what others have said. Stay in the U.K. Be close to your family. Sounds like things will get better for you if your husband finds a less stressful job. NZ is an odd place, very isolated too. Anyone who is so close to their family would find it hard here I think. I have been here 15 years and I have a very good life here. Much better than I think I would have had I stayed in the U.K.

NZ has shit loads of serious issues as others have said. It is not about ‘which country is better’ it is all about what suits you more. I was ok with cutting ties with my family. I get the feeling you would struggle being away from your kin.

PS. Some one mentioned ‘kiwis and the government are giving Maori millions of dollars’. Just to set the record straight there, IMO, no amount of money will ever make up for all the suffering Maori have endured as a result of colonialism.

Last edited by Genesis; Mar 5th 2020 at 3:02 am.