Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of emigrating - is it worth it?

Thinking of emigrating - is it worth it?

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating - is it worth it?

Originally Posted by EMHA4

I think the plan of the extended trip is a good idea to see if it is all it’s made out to be.
So what is it made out to be, and by whom?

If your going to the touristy and rural beauty spots shown in the glossy magazines and holiday brochures then that's not quite the same as the daily grind of real life; we have our fair share of unemployed / unemployable, gangs, bogans, homeless and junkies that would rob their granny for their next hit of meth. But easily avoided in ether country if you don't mix in their circles and mind your own business .
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

For now I’m worrying about things like schools and NHS for my kids and in the long term things like their safety, everyday you hear about people getting stabbed and not just gangs but people going about their day - I could just be being paranoid and an over protective parent 🙈 but as well the over population in the UK concerns me and our inability as a country to put our own citizens first but hopefully good old brexit will help curb that.

I think the plan of the extended trip is a good idea to see if it is all it’s made out to be. Thanks for your insight.
You'll have these problems in every country. As others have said, reading Daily Mail does not help and everybody thinks they are paying too much taxes/their country is going down the toilet etc. We moved from the UK to the West of Ireland and you also hear people moan, but I'm no longer bothered. On the radio there was a women complaining about the cost of living and she was struggling as a lawyer, her husband was a doctor. It turned out that they have 5 kids and the mortgage for a 6 bed house in Dublin was pretty high (What can you say?). We are lucky that we bought the house when prices were very low and we have enough space to grow fruit and veg, but even then it's still possible to create your own lifestyle and there are options. Because we don't go to pubs every weekend, we also managed to save money and bought a plot of land in Spain. NZ was always an option but for us personally it's just too far away. If you want to get away from the UK for a while and see how rural living is, why not go to Cantabria for a few weeks to test the waters.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

This country is going down the toilet, hard working tax payers get f**k all, but if you sit on your a**e all day or come over in a boat with 6 kids you get handed everything and I’m sick of it!!! What tipped me over the edge recently was a comment from a single, school mum of 2 moaning that she can’t get car finance because she has no income but she gets more money on benefits than someone working full time - wft!!!!!

an example of someone believing the myths peddled by the media
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

If your going to the touristy and rural beauty spots shown in the glossy magazines and holiday brochures then that's not quite the same as the daily grind of real life; we have our fair share of unemployed / unemployable, gangs, bogans, homeless and junkies that would rob their granny for their next hit of meth. But easily avoided in ether country if you don't mix in their circles and mind your own business .
I think back home is alot rougher than NZ.
If yet to see anywhere in NZ that comes anywhere near the inner city estates like back home. You don't get gangs of people hanging about local shops like at home. Don't think the drug problem is anywhere near as bad as in the UK either.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Yep, totally true. Plenty of this in Chch, I love the place but it still has its issues like anywhere.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
That's a funny comment.
you can't look back and compare anything or it will drive crazy.
You have got to look at positives if I sat and thought about all negatives u would tan your wrists or be on flight home.
Most of the stuff I would agree with but it doesn't effect my day to day living and I love it out here.
Think me and my wife have been very lucky decent jobs and been looked after since been out here.
Also we are better off in nz financially. but it doesn't work like that for everyone.
I like the weather I have wore flip flops and shorts for 2 years wore trainers twice and jeans once.
I like beach. there for everyone. bbq, drive your car, ride your horse, dirt bike quad, sailing, swimming, fishing, jetski no one batters an eye lid what your doing.
I like steak and cheese, mince and cheese pies, sausage rolls, and Apple donut cream cakes lol
domino pizza large 5 dollars bro. takeaways are mega cheap.
Enjoy night markets for food too.
There ain't as much traffic.
If I want to go into the city at weekend it's stress free as the place is empty.
Like you, I love my life in NZ, I wouldn't swap it for the world
None of the things I mentioned in my post bother me in the slightest, The only thing I dislike about NZ is its Prime Minister
I mentioned them to highlight to the OP that all the negatives they see in the UK, and are trying to run away from, are also here
and will in time, if you are inclined to focus on negatives, eat away at you just as much as the things they are trying to leave behind.

Originally Posted by hallie_day
I came here reluctantly with a Kiwi partner and it seems that British couples who both decide to come fare better.
I'm not so sure we do.. I know so many British couples who have divorced since coming to NZ
Maybe its a mid life crisis thing

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 3rd 2020 at 2:04 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Don't think the drug problem is anywhere near as bad as in the UK either.
Really !!

NZ is up there with best when it comes to drug use.
cocaine isn't a biggie here as its so expensive.

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
.... NZ is up there with best when it comes to drug use.
Cocaine isn't a biggie here as its so expensive. ....
Come on New Zealand, you really need to up your game on the opiates and non-prescription opioids!
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Come on New Zealand, you really need to up your game on the opiates and non-prescription opioids!
I know its terrible, I'm not making any money off them at all

Remember kids, Just say NO !!
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Really !!

Iceland smokes more weed than America! Wow
come on America you need to up your game
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 6:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
Iceland smokes more weed than America! Wow ....
come on America you need to up your game. .....
No, a greater percentage of the population, not "more weed". From what I have heard, the percentage partaking in the US is declining even where consumption is legalized at the state level,
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, a greater percentage of the population, not "more weed". From what I have heard, the percentage partaking in the US is declining even where consumption is legalized at the state level,
Even a greater percentage of the population is still surprising
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by grant r
Even a greater percentage of the population is still surprising
What else is there to do in Iceland, especially during the winter?

With a population as small as Iceland, a very minor factor can change the percentage dramatically - 1% is only 3,600 people, unlike the percentage of the US population, where you'd need over 3million people to change to move the US percentage by 1% - like a skiff a maneuvering as compared to an oil tanker.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Really !!

You got to think about the population differences between the UK and NZ thou.
I think there is alot more junkies cutting around the UK than in NZ.
Same as the gangs. there is a hell of alot more trouble with groups of kids on estates in the UK than NZ. plus alot more organised crime where people dont like drawing attention to them self. they just don't have to cut about on a motorbike and wear a leather jacket.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

also the hommacide rate in uk is about 10x that in new Zealand aswell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.