Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking AGAIN of coming over!

Thinking AGAIN of coming over!

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of
Default Thinking AGAIN of coming over!

Hi
I've previously poked my nose in here and there as we had been toying with coming back there a couple of years ago but work got in the way. However, my Kiwi husband has just been made redundant after 16 yrs so the opportunity has arisen once again.
We are not too worried about most aspects of moving as we have family there and I had three years there in mid 90's to have an idea of what I might be letting myself in for. The main pull to NZ being family and friends.
Our main concern in our 15 year old son. He has mild aspergers and severe dyspraxia. He is just coming into his exam year but the school have found him difficult to tutor as an individual and we don't imagine that he will come away with amazing results. Despite our best, exhaustive efforts. We won't come over until he has finished his exams. His main interest is computers. I suppose my question is, what are the options for a 16 year old english kid with hopefully reasonable exam results? Can he go straight into college education or the equivalent of and do a computer course? Or will he have to be re-educated the 'kiwi way' before he can do this? If anyone has any experience of this or any ideas we would be grateful for any advice. He is our number one priority and we want to get things right.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking AGAIN of coming over!

I think the course my relative did is the sort of thing you may be after? He did a level 4 computer course at Weltec after his NCEA level 1 at school, rather than staying on at school, as it suited him better. He's now studying for a computer degree also at Weltec. He's also been on work experience in an IT department in Wellington via Weltec too. There are lots of international students there and he found he had to work a lot harder than he did at school

I think this is the course he did: http://www.weltec.ac.nz/SUBJECTAREAS...1/Default.aspx
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Thankyou MOSO. That is definitely along the lines of what we are looking for. Now we just have to do battle with him to convince him that it is a good idea. Wish me luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martyc
Hi
I've previously poked my nose in here and there as we had been toying with coming back there a couple of years ago but work got in the way. However, my Kiwi husband has just been made redundant after 16 yrs so the opportunity has arisen once again.
We are not too worried about most aspects of moving as we have family there and I had three years there in mid 90's to have an idea of what I might be letting myself in for. The main pull to NZ being family and friends.
Our main concern in our 15 year old son. He has mild aspergers and severe dyspraxia. He is just coming into his exam year but the school have found him difficult to tutor as an individual and we don't imagine that he will come away with amazing results. Despite our best, exhaustive efforts. We won't come over until he has finished his exams. His main interest is computers. I suppose my question is, what are the options for a 16 year old english kid with hopefully reasonable exam results? Can he go straight into college education or the equivalent of and do a computer course? Or will he have to be re-educated the 'kiwi way' before he can do this? If anyone has any experience of this or any ideas we would be grateful for any advice. He is our number one priority and we want to get things right.
There are loads of IT courses. There are also organisations you can speak to, in regard to your son's future. They can help tailor things to his learning stage. All the best. Please keep us posted.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou MOSO. That is definitely along the lines of what we are looking for. Now we just have to do battle with him to convince him that it is a good idea. Wish me luck!
Hi,

I do wish you every success if you move but please just remember this is your dream not your sons. Whilst I agree you need to go where the work is it doesn't mean he has to want to go.
At 16 it can be a tough move.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

I do wish you every success if you move but please just remember this is your dream not your sons. Whilst I agree you need to go where the work is it doesn't mean he has to want to go.
At 16 it can be a tough move.
It kind of feels like less of a dream and more of a necessity. Aside from my parents we have no other relations here involved in my sons life, whereas in NZ we have my in-laws, cousins and uncles and aunties too numerous to mention. I can't help thinking ahead and wondering who my son will have here when we reach old age. I love the UK so it will be a tough move for me. Probably less so for my husband who will be going 'home' after 20 years.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Now we just have to do battle with him to convince him that it is a good idea. Wish me luck!
Good luck....I am battling with my 15yr old daughter, to agree to go back to the UK....

Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

So my husband and I have had THAT conversation. He wants to return home to New Zealand and we are trying to come to a decision. I am British and love the UK. With his recent redundancy he has lost the most part of his social life having worked there for 16 years. He misses his parents and family terribly and a recent visit from a Kiwi friend has confirmed his decision. He says that he does not want to rail road me into going but I want to be fair to him also. Very torn!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

So my husband and I have had THAT conversation. He wants to return home to New Zealand and we are trying to come to a decision. I am British and love the UK. With his recent redundancy he has lost the most part of his social life having worked there for 16 years. He misses his parents and family terribly and a recent visit from a Kiwi friend has confirmed his decision. He says that he does not want to rail road me into going but I want to be fair to him also. Very torn!
A hard decision for you all....as it is one full of emotion...sounds like your OH is experiencing some grief after losing his job & is looking for the comfort of his childhood home......

Ask away on here...you will get some negative comments...probably more than you will want to hear.....just seems that way at the moment...probably as there is a lot of us 40 somethings looking to go back to the UK.....but at the end of the day you have to do whats right for your family....

Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:49 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ,

Your husband may find that the New Zealand he remembers is not the same place. Places change incredibly when you've been away for so long. Good luck with whatever you all decide.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Hi ,

Your husband may find that the New Zealand he remembers is not the same place. Places change incredibly when you've been away for so long. Good luck with whatever you all decide.
Yes pippalonghorn is right, there are a couple of Kiwis on here who have been really disappointed upon return to NZ & ping ponged back to the UK....coz the country has changed so much....

However you mentioned you have lots of family here, have you visited them in the last few years? When was the last time your OH was here?

Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I wish you luck. People with a touch of Asperger can be very resistant to change. Not to mention convincing a teenager .
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:42 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

If OP's husband is living in the past re: NZ, he'll still be living in the past re: NZ when he's here. Such fun.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
If OP's husband is living in the past re: NZ, he'll still be living in the past re: NZ when he's here. Such fun.
I didn't know you'd met him!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 7:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know you'd met him!
I understand returning New Zealanders are worse than expats ! Hell yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.