Reload this Page >

Thinking about a New Zealand move

Thinking about a New Zealand move

Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Daisyc172 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking about a New Zealand move

Originally Posted by srsmithers View Post
hello, I currently live in the UK with my husband, 14 yo daughter and 7 yo son. Having grown dissatisfied with the quality of life we have here we are considering a move abroad. New Zealand has always seems to factor on our list but we are undecided, can anyone give some experiences that they wouldn’t mind sharing? Pro’s and Con’s?
We’d be glad to hear anything you’d like to share!
Thank you
We are in completely different situations as I moved here for my kiwi partner and we dont have kids, but I urge you to think seriously about this move. If you can, come over for a good period of time first before committing.
I was so excited to come here and experience the slower pace of life & people being more friendly and relaxed, but in truth I'm bored. As someone above mentioned, the culture and history just dont match Europe. I didnt even realise how much I'd miss it until it was gone. I also found that I was more 'outdoorsy' in the UK as there are lots of walks/hikes on your doorstep! Here you often have to drive a while to get to new tracks as everything is so spread out (although this obviously does depend where you are in NZ). The hardest thing I've found is how spread out everything is. You cant drive 20 minutes down the road and be in a new town/village with new things to see and do, most places are 1hr+ drive away, so you find yourself spending most of your time in one place (or driving a long way to get somewhere else!). Cost of living is also much higher here and we have a lot less disposable income to spend on leisure activities due to high rent and price of groceries. Should mention we live in Taupo not one of the big cities 🙂

not trying to be negative, just giving you my experiences and NZ is often sold as 'paradise' but there is good and bad to everything, its what you make it. Should also mention that I'm seriously considering a move back to the UK so I may be a little biased, although I'm sure others will agree to some of the points I've made. Good luck with your decision, wish you all the best!