Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back to England

Thinking about moving back to England

Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:20 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving back to England

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

But wait there is more ...

The concept of Whanau for Maori is far broader than family and although it is a strong tie it is a different connection to European family.

The huge thing in the Maori world is the huge connection to the land, sea and sky.
Is that any land, sea and sky or particular bits? ;-)
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:27 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
and one that isn't going to change just because she gets NZ citizenship.
No-one suggested that for a minute, its about keeping options open, for many who un-emigrate they find that isnt the end of it...

Kiwis who just flip-flop to/from Oz perhaps dont appreciate the cost in all senses that other migrants incur, losing it and then finding you have to pretty much start over for the sake of spending the time to get citizenship is a risk well worth presenting to anyone considering returning.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 1:48 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi completely understand the original post as we are in the same position just a bit further down the line. We have been in NZ for 7 years and are going back to the UK in 2 weeks (shit !!!). Not been easy coming to this point but we are fairly sure we are right to go. Have a young daughter missing out on all sorts of family stuff and if we were to extend our family it would just be to hard to go through it all again without much support. We love NZ in so many ways but not having that support is so hard. I don't want my daughter to only have a skype relationship with family and think we deserve more. We have got citizenship and own a house here, so who knows what the future will bring.
We could be back within the year, but we need to give it a go (its only money !). Before anyone takes it the wrong way we cannot really afford to go back and def couldn't afford to return quickly. Hopefully I can find a job quickly or it will be a very sorry xmas, but at least we will be with family.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

KevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really nice

Originally Posted by maddalenna
We are heading back to the UK after 3 years. For similar reasons – extended family and missing the strong friendship bonds we have over in the UK. My son is now 8 and he has such a close bond with both sets of grandparents in the UK, we now know that it is the right thing to do. He really misses just being with Gran and Pops. We just spent a month back in Scotland (I had a job interview so we took advantage and went over as a family) and we have never felt so sure about anything in our lives: ‘it is time to head home’. Just watching our children with the family and feeling connected again was profound. We have a 4 year old daughter and she needs to have those important family connections that we feel we stole from her.
Both my husband and I have struggled to find permanent employment and although we came over with PR due to our skills, we have slid down our respective career slides. We did not come to NZ because we were unhappy in the UK, we just wanted to give life here a go. (We spent 5 months in NZ before we had our children) We were hoping to be able to afford to go back to the UK at least once a year, but the jobs security never came and with time, reality hits home.
Our first year in NZ was quite positive; we still had lots of hope! The following 2 years have been a bit of a struggle and have given us much food for thought. At 6am on the last morning of our recent month in the UK, I took the in-laws dog for a walk across the Glen, it was stunning and as I sat taking in the views the tears just rolled. I knew I was home and the sense of ease that came over me sealed the decision for me. We made the final decision as a family when I was offered the job and it was unanimous for a return to the UK.
This is the right decision for us - many people on this site face the same dilemma, it is a very complex and subjective decision. Personally we need to start living now, our future is in the UK and we have no real ties to NZ so we have no thoughts of returning to live. I am sure as the years go by we will long for a visit but we would be more than happy with a holiday here. We didn’t live in an oppressive overcrowded part of the UK, we had stunning scenery, a good social life and most of all we had a wonderful supportive family and friends – who are already planning our coming home party! One door closes and another opens. Go with your heart and what feels right for your family.
Hi All,
We have been back in the UK a year now. We struggled to find work all the time we were in NZ - my youngest daughter unable to secure any employment at all. Five weeks back in the UK she had her first ever job!! Can't believe the prices in the supermarket (have put on a stone in weight ) Yes there are still issues here - but we belong, which we never did after 8 years in NZ. Work is plentiful, my bank account balance is the best it has been in 8 years. We have no regrets other than I wish I had listened to my family and come home sooner. Waiting a year for citizenship, could end up being 2 years, took me 11 months to get mine, and 6 months to wait for a ceremony, then 2 months for the passport + the cost - honestly - if you have no intention of returning - don't bother. Good Luck to you all!!!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KevinS
Hi All,
+ the cost - honestly - if you have no intention of returning - don't bother. Good Luck to you all!!!
I agree. Sometimes it is better to close a door and move on.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
I agree. Sometimes it is better to close a door and move on.
And close that door for your children too?
Old Oct 6th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
And close that door for your children too?
Sure, why not? Moving to NZ also closes a lot of doors for children.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 11:53 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I fear your right

My daughter is still trying to gain employment and shes 19 and never had a job apart from voluntary work
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:52 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You hit the nail on the head there.

They're perfectly capable of reopening the door when they're adults if the fancy takes them. Who's to say they'd ever chose NZ anyway, they may be more tempted to try other places (the "be there, done that" scenario)
Old Oct 7th 2012, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

They're perfectly capable of reopening the door when they're adults if the fancy takes them.......

Not necessarily ... They may not have the required degree or trade qualifications.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Good to bring up kids but crap for when they get to 18. I would have hated living here in my young days as I liked going clubbing and stuff, all good if your into sports and nothingness.
My boy has reached 18, is finishing school in November and feels exactly the same.
I've told him to go travelling and find his place in the world. I'm glad he's spent his formative teenage
years in NZ but its time for him to go and as much as I'll miss him, as a parent I know its the right thing to do
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
My boy has reached 18, is finishing school in November and feels exactly the same.
I've told him to go travelling and find his place in the world. I'm glad he's spent his formative teenage
years in NZ but its time for him to go and as much as I'll miss him, as a parent I know its the right thing to do
That's all very well, but she has been trying to gain employment!! So no job no money to travel right??
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justcol
Isn't that another reason to get an NZ passport?

Gives him more options i.e. Oz!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
I fear your right

My daughter is still trying to gain employment and shes 19 and never had a job apart from voluntary work
Wow, thats rough.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Isn't that another reason to get an NZ passport?

Gives him more options i.e. Oz!
Yes it is and when its time he will get one.
I think anyone who doesnt is pretty stupid, its not about being a "passport grabber" as someone earlier described it.
What he wants at 18 may not be what he wants at 25, 30 or when he settles down with his own family.
its about doing what you can now to give yourself the most options in your future life, why some people
get all self righteous about having a kiwi passport and moving away I dont know, if he's entitled and pays
for it then why the hell should anyone else get all snotty about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.