Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back to England

Thinking about moving back to England

Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:12 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking about moving back to England

Originally Posted by Justcol
Wow, thats rough.
I know! but another reason to get the passports.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is and when its time he will get one.
I think anyone who doesnt is pretty stupid, its not about being a "passport grabber" as someone earlier described it.
What he wants at 18 may not be what he wants at 25, 30 or when he settles down with his own family.
its about doing what you can now to give yourself the most options in your future life, why some people
get all self righteous about having a kiwi passport and moving away I dont know, if he's entitled and pays
for it then why the hell should anyone else get all snotty about it
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
That's all very well, but she has been trying to gain employment!! So no job no money to travel right??
Isn't that where we as parents step in and help out a little, travelling isn't an expensive thing to do once
the initial travel costs are out of the way. My boy will essentially work his way around the world as he goes.
I have friends who who traveled non stop for over 10 years doing exactly that, where ever you are
you do whatever you can to fund the next leg of your journey. Its not easy but its character building.

Has your girl thought about moving to somewhere else in NZ, maybe flatting and trying for work there?
wangers is always going to difficult due to the relatively small size of the place, maybe she'd have more luck / fun
in aux or welly ??
Just a thought

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 7th 2012 at 7:29 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:31 am

Isn't that where we as parents step in and help out a little, travelling isn't an expansive thing to do once
the initial travel costs are out of the way. My boy will essentially work his way around the world as he goes.
I have friends who who traveled non stop for over 10 years doing exactly that, where ever you are
you do whatever you can to fund the next leg of your journey. Its not easy but its character building
Wow thanks for that, we help her out all the time, plus my daughter does not want to travel yet!! and plus i do have another daughter too, and everyone is different.

even i cant get another job at the moment its very hard in my opinion.

so maye Oz will be the next step maybe for all of us, who knows thats why im applying for NZ citenzhip
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:41 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KevinS
Hi All,
We have been back in the UK a year now. We struggled to find work all the time we were in NZ - my youngest daughter unable to secure any employment at all. Five weeks back in the UK she had her first ever job!! Can't believe the prices in the supermarket (have put on a stone in weight ) Yes there are still issues here - but we belong, which we never did after 8 years in NZ. Work is plentiful, my bank account balance is the best it has been in 8 years. We have no regrets other than I wish I had listened to my family and come home sooner. Waiting a year for citizenship, could end up being 2 years, took me 11 months to get mine, and 6 months to wait for a ceremony, then 2 months for the passport + the cost - honestly - if you have no intention of returning - don't bother. Good Luck to you all!!!
If you have your indefinite returning residents visa there's no reason to stay and wait for citizenship, although I do realise the rules could change in the future for offshore IRRV holders, but there's no sign of that happening.

Someone has already mentioned that getting a NZ passport could be a route into Australia for their children at some time in the future. IMO that's not the best thing for them to do, it's more secure to migrate under one of the regular skilled migrant categories. I think Kiwis get a rough deal here and lose out on so many things. Plus there's always a risk that the SCV could disappear one day.

As for the job situation, I can't see that getting any better for young people in New Zealand and, according to Labour, the reason why so many of them come over here is because this is where the work is. I don't know why they're blaming National because the rot started when they were mis-managing government.
A lack of jobs in New Zealand, not the sun on the Gold Coast, is driving thousands of people to Australia, Labour says.

Labour's finance spokesman David Parker said a lack of jobs here that saw 30,000 young New Zealanders unemployed as a result of National's economic mismanagement.

"National claims that the record numbers of Kiwis heading to Australia isn't their fault, it's because our neighbours are doing so well.

"But a close look at the numbers shows that when unemployment gets worse more young Kiwis leave for Australia."

More than 160,000 people had left for Australia under the National Government, 40 per cent of them were aged 18-30.

Parker said they left because of New Zealand's failed job market.

"National keeps making up excuses for the exodus. One day it's mining in Perth. The next it's the sun on the Gold Coast. But the truth is clear. It's the lack of jobs here."
The OP could stick it out and give her children citizenship but what are they going to use it for when they come back to NZ, sign on the dole?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Wow thanks for that, we help her out all the time, plus my daughter does not want to travel yet!! and plus i do have another daughter too, and everyone is different.

even i cant get another job at the moment its very hard in my opinion.
Sorry chuck, I didn't mean to sound patronizing
Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:55 am

Sorry chuck, I didn't mean to sound patronizing
its ok
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
what are they going to use it for when they come back to NZ, sign on the dole?
Jesus you really are a miserable negative sod aren't you !!

Since I arrived in NZ 4 years ago with my family non of us have been out of work.
I was the only one with a job sorted before we left the uk, my wife did whatever she needed to do
to get into the workforce and eventually get back into the role she was doing in the uk , she has is very well respected
in her field and is very happy doing that, I have changed career 3 times in 4 years, each new position
had nothing to do with the last so it shows there is work out there if you are prepared to get off your
arse and look for it. My eldest son had no problems getting a part time job when his studies allowed it
and my youngest also has a part time job that doesn't eat into his school work. He has also been
up to auckland where he came out for a few beers with me and some some friends, he impressed them so much
one of them is prepared to give him a minor post so he can learn as he goes.
He wants to travel instead but the point is its out there if you want it.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Justcol,

I reckon he works for Australia Tourism, either that or he's sick of billy goats jumping on his bridge
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:16 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

the point is its out there if you want it.
Are you saying that love30stm and her daughter can't find the work they want because they don't want it, that it's their fault somehow?

Or are you saying they have to get on their bikes to find it, even if that means going over to Australia to get it?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Or are you saying they have to get on their bikes to find it, even if that means going over to Australia to get it?
Not at all, I'm saying your a tool and a miserable negative sod....good night
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

He didn't say that at all.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:21 am

Are you saying that love30stm and her daughter can't find the work they want because they don't want it, that it's their fault somehow?

I have a job thanks!! I said I'm looking for something else, we live in Wanganui not the liveliest place so I know that might be the problem.

Just saying
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:22 am

Agree! Dont know why she keeps posting on the NZ thread about the negatives, obviously so happy in Oz
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:24 am
Banned

Now you're resorting to insults?

Your one solution fits all obviously doesn't work for everybody does it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.