Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - upbeat stuff

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - upbeat stuff

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - upbeat stuff

I know it's been done before but here goes again, for those new to this game

Me

go to Indonesia recruiting for students and staff

agree to a very strange neutral paint colour on the door that wouldn't get shelf space in the UK, and think it looks nice

have five dogs (goes without saying)

pay the equivalent of 85p per litre for fuel yesterday (with a voucher)

him:

spend a crazy amount of money on "gumboots" for work

run his dream car

over to you
Jan
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:16 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ

Look to go Salmon fishing on my doorstep. Going to go Surf fishing. Bought a big 4x4 to get me there. Watched the All Blacks on their own turf.
Kicked dry leaves in winter. Being able to afford beef steaks again. Be by myself in less than an hours drive. Go 2 months without overtaking another car!!!!
Having to wear sun glasses....
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:42 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Started a family

Started my own business

Bought a UTE and wondered why I did not have one when sat on the M1 for hours.

Got a Stereo that cost more than a decent second hand car and six years later the wife still does not understand why it does not do surround sound.

Stop in the middle of my working day and go home and spend some time with my wife and kids.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

live on a beach for a year
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Scour trademe for cheap wood and get excited when it is cheap as it is need seasoning and splitting. I have found out I love splitting wood

Matt
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Had a ride in a helicopter over Hanmer and surrounding mountains for only $75.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Sat on my deck, wearing a t-shirt & jeans drinking coffee & discussing whether or not our pet sheep are pregnant, in the middle of winter. And not feeling cold. That was this morning. Tomorrow we plan to go to the beach to walk the dogs. We didn't even have dogs in the UK, with the time we spent commuting to work in London we never felt that it would be fair to have dogs!
But also we're recently returned from a trip back to the UK. In our previous lives we would never have spent well over 24hrs travelling just to catch up with friends & family.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 6:14 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Buy my meat by the animal, 2 lambs and half a beast, rather than by the Kg from Tesco! Buy a dirty great 4x4, drive it on the beach and through muddy forests and actually be able to afford to run it! Go fishing and hunting, live next to a beach and be able to sit on it, in the middle of Summer on a weekend without any crowds. Not care about what I wear, if it's 'this season' or worry about the state of my car. Wear shorts, all year and finally, enjoy life without stressing over everything!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 6:17 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly forgot....watch my kids live the life I wish I had, at that age. The advantages the move has bought them, makes it all worth while!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 6:25 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Owned a detached house
Visited the Pacific Islands
Eaten paua and feijoas - yuk
Learnt so much about earthquakes...
Mark Smith
Had a ride in a helicopter over Hanmer and surrounding mountains for only $75.
That's cheap, was it a special deal or the normal price? I'd love to do that!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

The rugby club were doing a fundraiser and we just turned up at the right weekend. I think its usually double that. Just my wife and I (and the pilot). It was the weekend before the snow, the weather was perfect and the views awesome.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Got back into playing team sport
Run my own business
Lost inches and put on pounds
Not cared about wearing a tie to work (even when on a salary in the city for an international company)
Wandered around barefoot
Drove a complete shed of a motor
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I am LOVING this thread!!!

We do most of the things others have quoted too.

Brill isn't it

Jan
(from an airport waiting to go to Indonesia in an hour or so)
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Walked to the beach from home, work with two ace Maori guys, go in to lions enclosure at feeding time on the back of a ute, use the words 'munted' and 'liquefaction', visit a Pacific island, go to a Christmas Market in June,go to a supermarket after 4pm on a Sunday, have my OH home from work in less than half an hour
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I am LOVING this thread!!!

We do most of the things others have quoted too.

Brill isn't it

Jan
(from an airport waiting to go to Indonesia in an hour or so)
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.