Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by _0v0_ View Post
I like wetas.

What I don't like: hearing about fun times at the <insert small town> Rugby Club quiz night- again and again and again and again, and hearing about how pished everyone got, as if it's in any way interesting.
.... nor living within vicinity of said sports club hall and hearing it all for yourself week after week. Listening to the endless yelling and wahooing, revving of engines, burning rubber and driving off like whacky races and doing wheel spins up and down the roads.

I know not where this place even is, yet I can hear it - just another normal Saturday night in suburbia.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Woken up on a Sunday morning and realised there is nowhere within a 3 hr drive where you havent already been and it was dull or anywhere you actually havent been but want to go.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Put on extra clothes - socks, jumpers, anorak- to go to bed.
Admittedly this is before I built myself a proper English house made of brick and with insulation and double glazing.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 9:51 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Hawkes Bay the weekend wemt out friday and saturday but the bars were Dead and full of dull Men watching Rugby

was home by 10pm and watched a movie with some wine at my friends house
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

being colder in the house than outside
wiping mould off the windows and the bathroom roof (haven't done that since 1986)
having to cook so much due to the lack of ready meals (that's actually good for our health if not good for my time management!)
having to take out a second mortgage for toiletries, clothes and shoes
having to deal with blank stares when people don't realise I'm Scottish and I start to speak....

Once the new house is built though...and that's something we would never have been able to do in the UK, not with the view we're getting.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:57 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer View Post
Once the new house is built though...and that's something we would never have been able to do in the UK, not with the view we're getting.
You'll feel a million times better once you're in your own place and can sort all the issues out
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
You'll feel a million times better once you're in your own place and can sort all the issues out
I can't wait! We had a lovely house in the UK but have been in crappy rentals (here and in the UK) for two years thanks to having 2 big dogs.

Thing I'm looking forward to the most (apart from warmth and no mould and clean, fresh kitchen) is a fenced garden for the dogs. Can just let them out!!

The rental in the UK had ducks living next door...not good when you have german shorthaired pointers!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:19 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy View Post
Just to put a more realistic perspective on it, the body of this Aussie invader (whitetail) is only 1.5 cms long, and the leg diameter is 2.8 cms. And in 50 years I've never seen one. Of more ugliness and more plentiful is the native Weta (especially if you live around bush), which are hideous creatures.
lucky you, I've seen plenty of close encounters with Whitetails do they not have them down in the Waikato, too cold down there perhaps?

As for Wetas they're not at all ugly, they're magnificent animals and was always delighted to come across one in the garden.

New Zealand does have some native poisonous spiders of its own, they're not all exotic imports from warmer climes like the Redback and the Whitetail. The NZ Katipo has been known to take a few people unawares

http://www.eturbonews.com/16139/kati...-tourist-penis