Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Had a close encounter with a whitetail

Warning: arachnophobes-DO NOT READ!!!

Was having a lovely relaxing bath yesterday, reading an article in the newspaper supplement. I see movement and look up to see 2 then 3 then 4 big legs clambering over the top of the newspaper followed by a head and body [and more legs]. Have never moved so fast, the paper got thrown to the other side of the room. After looking at the paper for a few moments and making sure 'it' wasn't in the bath or on the floor, I carefully got out of the bath and shook the paper. Out dropped a whitetail with a big fat body and thick legs- only the second one I've ever seen and one of the biggest spiders I've seen over here, seriously it was huge

It has now been removed and is in safe storage in a bag in the wheelie bin-it cannot escape from there
are they poisonous or just big?!

Or do i not want to know?

I hate spiders.

In fact I hate all insects - erghhhhhh
Old Jul 8th 2012, 11:21 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
I'd be going mental. I have perpetual wanderlust and a short attention span, so it's either exploring new places or moving to them. BEVS, is there any way you and your DH could do a house swap in Oz for a few months for a change of scene? My chum is house swapping in Cairns at the mo and has done Brissie too, but with Kiwi passports and no kids you could do a long one. Or is that the usual sort of totally unhelpful post?
Nooo. I meant the posts that say "Wazza matter with you. Moaning minny. You got all this free stuff on your doorstep. Go camping up the road . " type posts.

Funnily enough I've been exploring that idea a bit BB. Putting out the feelers. From what you write people would consider coming here in Winter.

Think what has set me off is it's holiday & travel time back up the North Hemisphere & UK. I'm seeing and reading all this stuff about jollies ,having gone precisely nowhere. Have also forked out for OH to go see the aged Smother-in-law over Xmas/New Year, who will be knocking 85 by then.

and.... whilst I'm having a moan on......

it was noise night, Saturday night.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

Was having a lovely relaxing bath yesterday, reading an article in the newspaper supplement. I see movement and look up to see 2 then 3 then 4 big legs clambering over the top of the newspaper followed by a head and body [and more legs]. Have never moved so fast, the paper got thrown to the other side of the room. After looking at the paper for a few moments and making sure 'it' wasn't in the bath or on the floor, I carefully got out of the bath and shook the paper. Out dropped a whitetail with a big fat body and thick legs- only the second one I've ever seen and one of the biggest spiders I've seen over here, seriously it was huge

It has now been removed and is in safe storage in a bag in the wheelie bin-it cannot escape from there
Despite the clear warning I went ahead and read it and now I swear I can FEEL it on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ View Post

I hate spiders.

Maybe you won't want to know!

They can be bitey, poisonous and big, however most we have seen are reasonably small. They're also pretty chunky beasts even in the smallest form so don't hide too well and are a bit slow. They don't run well so you have penty of time to get to the fly spray.

I hate spiders and insects too but have calmed down a lot since being here and learned to deal with most of them without having a total meltdown. Except for one thing, I think I would prefer to jump off a cliff than have to deal with a weta.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:21 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I hate spiders.

They can give a nasty infected bite. Some say they are poisonous and others say not, depends on what they've just eaten I think. I have only seen two, one was much smaller but this ones body was about an inch long and then it had long chunky legs as well.... Didn't help that it was close to either stepping onto my hand or falling into the bath on top of me. The stuff of nightmares indeed...

Originally Posted by Miss Nic View Post
Despite the clear warning I went ahead and read it and now I swear I can FEEL it on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do the right thing and give a warning and people still do not listen At least I didn't take a photo of it to show everyone
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

They can give a nasty infected bite. Some say they are poisonous and others say not, depends on what they've just eaten I think. I have only seen two, one was much smaller but this ones body was about an inch long and then it had long chunky legs as well.... Didn't help that it was close to either stepping onto my hand or falling into the bath on top of me. The stuff of nightmares indeed...

I do the right thing and give a warning and people still do not listen At least I didn't take a photo of it to show everyone
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
Maybe you won't want to know!

They can be bitey, poisonous and big, however most we have seen are reasonably small. They're also pretty chunky beasts even in the smallest form so don't hide too well and are a bit slow. They don't run well so you have penty of time to get to the fly spray.

I hate spiders and insects too but have calmed down a lot since being here and learned to deal with most of them without having a total meltdown. Except for one thing, I think I would prefer to jump off a cliff than have to deal with a weta.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:08 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

it must've been like that scene from Pyscho! Bath time and whitetails definitely do not mix.

Credit to you for not killing it, I think I'd have given it a whack with the rolled up supplement. Must've been something good you were reading those things make a mess.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jul 12th 2012 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:10 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi View Post
it must've been like that scene from Pyscho! Bath time and whitetails definitely do not mix.
Just to put a more realistic perspective on it, the body of this Aussie invader (whitetail) is only 1.5 cms long, and the leg diameter is 2.8 cms. And in 50 years I've never seen one. Of more ugliness and more plentiful is the native Weta (especially if you live around bush), which are hideous creatures.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by waikatoguy View Post
Just to put a more realistic perspective on it, the body of this Aussie invader (whitetail) is only 1.5 cms long, and the leg diameter is 2.8 cms. And in 50 years I've never seen one. Of more ugliness and more plentiful is the native Weta (especially if you live around bush), which are hideous creatures.
Never seen a Weta
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm View Post
Never seen a Weta
You don't want to. They look hideous.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

Never seen a Weta
Found one in my shoe once. I'd only just got here and had no clue what a weta was. I convinced myself it was some kind of scorpion (yes, I know)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:07 am

getting dressed up with nowhere to go

but luckily this weekend girls weekend in Hawkes Bay let the partying begin hopefully
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:08 am

You don't want to. They look hideous.
I do
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:38 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Never seen a Weta
They're harmless love30stm, but they sure are big and ugly. I think that's their defense mechanism. One species is the heaviest insect in the world apparently. One time out in the sleepout my old man built for me when I was a teenager, one crawled across my face while I was asleep. Gave me heart palpatations when it woke me up. Another time, camping in the bush, one got into my sleeping bag. I screamed, and of course my mates thought it was a big joke!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Wetas are trendy little creatures keeping up with the latest fads - here's one trying to make a bid for freedom on my son's scooter!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff-weta.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.