British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/things-you-would-never-have-done-before-you-got-nz-downbeat-stuff-762878/)

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 5th 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10157156)
Ahh i do sympathise totally! Maybe i'm trying to lead a horse to water here as you've probably in NZ far longer than I!!!

I find Countdown quite ridiculous for some veggies when its off season. I've sometimes made the effort to go to the fruit and veg shop instead and low and behold....instead for $4 for a pepper, its $2! instead of $4 for a cucumber - its $2!

My flattie goes to the markets all the time and she was eating avocado last night and I commented about not wanted to spend $2.50 on it this time of year -she gets them for $1 each!

I think the key in NZ is really trying to eat seasonally as much as you can. I've given up finding fresh sugar snap beans (mmm)! and just adapting your recipes accordingly. What about frozen beans etc for your stir frys? and frozen peas! yum!

I use the website http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/ alot. together with Weightwatchers recipes
I also buy the Healthy Food Guide Magazine and its got great recipes in there - very seasonal too.

There's a couple of yummy sounding ones i've just seen that I'm going to try - Greek style meatball tray bake and Ravioli vege bake - both freeze well so I can eat 2 portions and freeze 2!

As for my determination erm :unsure:
yes - right - well - lets see how i go! but you gotta aim high!

I do go to the fruit & veggie shops & will do that later today. I'm quite a fussy eater which doesn't help, don't like cheese, butter, marg (unless hidden in cake or biccies!), ham, raw tomatoes, lamb unless it's very lean & so on :eek:

What's really bad is that I went to catering college, have a degree in home economics & hundreds of cookery books:lol:

You'll be fine & I'm prepared to nag you if that will help!:sneaky:

bourbon-biscuit Jul 5th 2012 11:31 pm

It seems common in the first couple of years of emigrating to suffer a bit health wise (common- not universal, before we get 100 posts about how much fitter folks feel since arriving). I think it's a mix of your body getting used to a new climate and new germs but also cumulative stress levels starting to seriously take their toll.

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 5th 2012 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10157162)
It seems common in the first couple of years of emigrating to suffer a bit health wise (common- not universal, before we get 100 posts about how much fitter folks feel since arriving). I think it's a mix of your body getting used to a new climate and new germs but also cumulative stress levels starting to seriously take their toll.

I've been here for 5 1/2 years :scaredhair:

bourbon-biscuit Jul 5th 2012 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10157171)
I've been here for 5 1/2 years :scaredhair:

Maybe you are allergic to NZ, then?

Caz8NZ Jul 5th 2012 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10157161)
I do go to the fruit & veggie shops & will do that later today. I'm quite a fussy eater which doesn't help, don't like cheese, butter, marg (unless hidden in cake or biccies!), ham, raw tomatoes, lamb unless it's very lean & so on :eek:

What's really bad is that I went to catering college, have a degree in home economics & hundreds of cookery books:lol:

You'll be fine & I'm prepared to nag you if that will help!:sneaky:

See I should know better :embarrassed_smile: ha ha

but erm - no cheese, butter, ham, tomatos or lamb - OMG. :ohmy:that sounds like my hell! ha ha! I'll eat nearly anything (although I did refuse starfish and crickets in China - I did however eat Ducks Beak - a delicacy in Laos)

I do need nagging - I managed to loose an additional 5kg when I got to NZ, and then over the summer, through a lot of socializing its creeped on again - and of course a bit more!

I find it easier in winter strangely to loose weight as I'm quite happy cooking and making soups, stews and curries, which can actually be really healthy! Oh - and I hibernate a bit more and not so tempted to go out so much!

Bought myself the 10kg bag of potatoes going cheap in countdown last night so that will be potato soup, into a stew or two, a potato curry.....i'll look like a blooming potato by the time I finish the bag!:hysterical:

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 5th 2012 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10157174)

I think so :eek::rofl:

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 5th 2012 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10157176)
See I should know better :embarrassed_smile: ha ha

but erm - no cheese, butter, ham, tomatos or lamb - OMG. :ohmy:that sounds like my hell! ha ha! I'll eat nearly anything (although I did refuse starfish and crickets in China - I did however eat Ducks Beak - a delicacy in Laos)

I do need nagging - I managed to loose an additional 5kg when I got to NZ, and then over the summer, through a lot of socializing its creeped on again - and of course a bit more!

I find it easier in winter strangely to loose weight as I'm quite happy cooking and making soups, stews and curries, which can actually be really healthy! Oh - and I hibernate a bit more and not so tempted to go out so much!

Bought myself the 10kg bag of potatoes going cheap in countdown last night so that will be potato soup, into a stew or two, a potato curry.....i'll look like a blooming potato by the time I finish the bag!:hysterical:

No, it's me that should know better :lol:

I made potato (Parmentier) soup for my 'O' level domestic science!! I passed.

Perhaps we should both get off the computer & get exercising :nod:

Caz8NZ Jul 6th 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10157188)
No, it's me that should know better :lol:

I made potato (Parmentier) soup for my 'O' level domestic science!! I passed.

Perhaps we should both get off the computer & get exercising :nod:

Well - I have a good excuse - i'm at work! and yes I should be working - if I had any work to do - long long story but i'm bored as! As soon as I get residency and a proper job I shall probably not be on here so much!

love30stm Jul 6th 2012 3:27 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10157085)
this is my first attempt to upload a pic - not sure if this will work :D

:lol:
good one! and this too

Bo-Jangles Jul 6th 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10157174)

I never gave it a second thought about it being anything to do with being in NZ but I have had untold ear problems, since being here also. I had wondered if it might be something in the water or humidity.

Other things I never did before coming to NZ was have to figure out ways to avoid having to rub noses (hongi) with guys at the office. :o

I also never felt the need to keep emergency stocks of water or food supplies, far less concern myself too much about the joys of living with weak infrastructure and the power surges and outages that all too often occur.

Caz8NZ Jul 6th 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10157727)
I never gave it a second thought about it being anything to do with being in NZ but I have had untold ear problems, since being here also. I had wondered if it might be something in the water or humidity.

Other things I never did before coming to NZ was have to figure out ways to avoid having to rub noses (hongi) with guys at the office. :o

I also never felt the need to keep emergency stocks of water or food supplies, far less concern myself too much about the joys of living with weak infrastructure and the power surges and outages that all too often occur.

slightly less of a problem but i didn't think my oily skin was anything much to do with changing country until someone pointed out that there were very many environmental different factors to take into account here - and maybe the pollution at home kept it at bay! i never thought of pollution as a good thing before:confused:

i really should start my emergency supplies cupboard.......

Bo-Jangles Jul 7th 2012 2:27 am

Another thing that I would never have done before I came to NZ was send a Memo. :rofl:

Another of those 'Life on Mars' office moments that comes with working among cantankerous old codgers that should have long since been put out to pasture.

Honestly, there are people here that still write Memos! :confused:

Bo-Jangles Jul 7th 2012 2:41 am

Am on a roll now and should stop thinking about these things but right now I have performance anxiety with regards the 'NZ's Hottest Baker' competition, that is otherwise known as the shared office lunch.

FFS, that's all they have to talk about for a whole week. Planning on who's going to bring what and shall we go with the white chocolate ganache and chocolate curls, or something else?

cappuccino Jul 7th 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10159154)
Another thing that I would never have done before I came to NZ was send a Memo. :rofl:

Another of those 'Life on Mars' office moments that comes with working among cantankerous old codgers that should have long since been put out to pasture.

Pronounced 'meeemo' :rofl:

Jan n Neil Jul 7th 2012 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10159154)

There are people at uni who do that too. And then scan and attach them to emails with the note : Please see attached memo. On memo type heading and everything. Never seen anything like that before :rofl:

Jan