British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/things-you-would-never-have-done-before-you-got-nz-downbeat-stuff-762878/)

BEVS Jul 5th 2012 5:20 am

Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10155397)
just put some more stuff on laybuy
couldnt help myself wanted something new for next weekend as im going to Napier for a girls weekend

Have fun. :)

I vaguely remember being skinny. Then I got :beer:

MrsFychan Jul 5th 2012 5:35 am

since being here - ear infection needing syringing then resulting in vertigo. never had ear problems before. Take it that counts :confused:

BEVS Jul 5th 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10155437)
since being here - ear infection needing syringing then resulting in vertigo. never had ear problems before. Take it that counts :confused:

Couldn't it have been cleared up with anti-biotics? :ohmy:

love30stm Jul 5th 2012 5:51 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10155424)
Have fun. :)

I vaguely remember being skinny. Then I got :beer:

haha Bev drink wine and work out :drinkwine:

MrsFychan Jul 5th 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10155444)
Couldn't it have been cleared up with anti-biotics? :ohmy:

apparently not, stocked up on anti vertigo medication whilst we were in the UK. just get the occasional swimming head feeling now

Choccie Jul 5th 2012 6:18 am

Thought it was just me that had suffered with my ears since being here! Never had anything like it in UK - constant blocking. It's driven me made on occassions.

Don't think my skin has ever been so dry either.

MrsFychan Jul 5th 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Choccie (Post 10155474)
Thought it was just me that had suffered with my ears since being here! Never had anything like it in UK - constant blocking. It's driven me made on occassions.

there I was thinking it was just me and my son :unsure: my ears seem more "moist" here

Stormer999 Jul 5th 2012 7:04 am

Cos your upside down.....:nod:

azakeen1980 Jul 5th 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 10155498)
Cos your upside down.....:nod:

:lol: Brilliant!

Caz8NZ Jul 5th 2012 11:16 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10155451)
haha Bev drink wine and work out :drinkwine:

this is my first attempt to upload a pic - not sure if this will work :D

Caz8NZ Jul 5th 2012 11:19 pm

My skin has gone the opposite - so oily its untrue! My face is like a slick by the end of the day - gross.

I've tried all sorts of different skin care products. I've always had oily skin but its just terrible since I got to NZ.

Oh and in Aus I had major sinus issues which went away as soon as I left the country! Another reason to not want to live there!

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 5th 2012 11:28 pm

I've had problems with my ears since I've been here to:frown:. Infact I feel like I've been permanently ill since we got here. I don't eat as healthily here as I did in the UK. I've put on a load of weight & feel permanently tired :thumbdown:

Caz8NZ Jul 5th 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10157095)
I've had problems with my ears since I've been here to:frown:. Infact I feel like I've been permanently ill since we got here. I don't eat as healthily here as I did in the UK. I've put on a load of weight & feel permanently tired :thumbdown:

That doesn't sound good. I'd say the additional weight and tiredness are definitely linked though.

I have to say i'm the opposite. Due to lack of convenience pre packaged meals in the supermarket I have to cook fresh much much more and also have to cook seasonally due to high cost of out of season food.....$4-5 for a capsicum anyone?!?!

I struggle with my weight anyway but before I left the UK originally to go travelling I was nearing a size 20!!!!!

I'm now down to a size 16 and my weight fluctuates but I know why - I don't exercise enough and enjoy a bit too much of :beer: and :drinkwine:

Now I've got my medical coming up i'm back on a health kick cutting down the booze, exercising more and following a healthy diet - I'm hoping to reach a size 14!

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 6th 2012 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10157101)
That doesn't sound good. I'd say the additional weight and tiredness are definitely linked though.

I have to say i'm the opposite. Due to lack of convenience pre packaged meals in the supermarket I have to cook fresh much much more and also have to cook seasonally due to high cost of out of season food.....$4-5 for a capsicum anyone?!?!

I struggle with my weight anyway but before I left the UK originally to go travelling I was nearing a size 20!!!!!

I'm now down to a size 16 and my weight fluctuates but I know why - I don't exercise enough and enjoy a bit too much of :beer: and :drinkwine:

Now I've got my medical coming up i'm back on a health kick cutting down the booze, exercising more and following a healthy diet - I'm hoping to reach a size 14!

It's not good at all. I do cook from fresh but find the choice of vegetables somewhat restrictive. I was going to make a paella on Monday, then I saw the price of peppers, so that went out the window. I used to eat lots of stir-frys in the UK, made with fresh ingredients. Not a problem in the summer but cost-wise & choice-wise it is in the winter.

I used to like broccoli but I can't stand the sight of it now! I used to exercise but I find I'm even more tired afterwards than I was before. I don't get an endorphin rush at all :frown:. Blood tests all come back normal, so I'm obviously just a lazy cow ;).

Had to go back to the UK in March for a few weeks, lost weight whilst I was there & felt better. I may have mentioned a holiday to Aitutaki that we returned from a week ago:sneaky:, lost weight then too. Despite my consumption of yummy cocktails, ice cream etc., so it must be NZ causing me to be ill:rofl:

Best of luck with your weight-loss/health kick, you've obviously got a lot of determination so I'm sure you'll succeed:thumbup:

Caz8NZ Jul 6th 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10157142)
It's not good at all. I do cook from fresh but find the choice of vegetables somewhat restrictive. I was going to make a paella on Monday, then I saw the price of peppers, so that went out the window. I used to eat lots of stir-frys in the UK, made with fresh ingredients. Not a problem in the summer but cost-wise & choice-wise it is in the winter.

I used to like broccoli but I can't stand the sight of it now! I used to exercise but I find I'm even more tired afterwards than I was before. I don't get an endorphin rush at all :frown:. Blood tests all come back normal, so I'm obviously just a lazy cow ;).

Had to go back to the UK in March for a few weeks, lost weight whilst I was there & felt better. I may have mentioned a holiday to Aitutaki that we returned from a week ago:sneaky:, lost weight then too. Despite my consumption of yummy cocktails, ice cream etc., so it must be NZ causing me to be ill:rofl:

Best of luck with your weight-loss/health kick, you've obviously got a lot of determination so I'm sure you'll succeed:thumbup:

Ahh i do sympathise totally! Maybe i'm trying to lead a horse to water here as you've probably in NZ far longer than I!!!

I find Countdown quite ridiculous for some veggies when its off season. I've sometimes made the effort to go to the fruit and veg shop instead and low and behold....instead for $4 for a pepper, its $2! instead of $4 for a cucumber - its $2!

My flattie goes to the markets all the time and she was eating avocado last night and I commented about not wanted to spend $2.50 on it this time of year -she gets them for $1 each!

I think the key in NZ is really trying to eat seasonally as much as you can. I've given up finding fresh sugar snap beans (mmm)! and just adapting your recipes accordingly. What about frozen beans etc for your stir frys? and frozen peas! yum!

I use the website http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/ alot. together with Weightwatchers recipes
I also buy the Healthy Food Guide Magazine and its got great recipes in there - very seasonal too.

There's a couple of yummy sounding ones i've just seen that I'm going to try - Greek style meatball tray bake and Ravioli vege bake - both freeze well so I can eat 2 portions and freeze 2!

As for my determination erm :unsure:
yes - right - well - lets see how i go! but you gotta aim high!