Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
There are people at uni who do that too. And then scan and attach them to emails with the note : Please see attached memo. On memo type heading and everything. Never seen anything like that before
I image myself like of one of those for Mash get Smash aliens -laughing hysterically to myself. Our place puts hyperlinks to Memos on the intranet too, so you then have to wade through a memo to find the attached form that you want and then have to print and Fax it, somewhere.

They would no doubt be stunned to find that a lot of the latest all singing and all dancing, multi-function printing and scanning devices have long since done away with the Fax option.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:23 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would never have done before you got to NZ - downbeat stuff

Was it a surprise to you to find that NZ does things differently? Or was it the particular things it does differently that are hard to accept?

My gran still writes me letters on airmail paper.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I would have never contemplated buying a big inverter generator, a camping toilet or storing 100 litres of water. Or wander round Riccarton market chuntering on about how strong the sunlight was in winter - what a gorgeous day today!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:51 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Experienced earthquakes and getting a survival kit and plan in action and worrying
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

..... I would never have spent a whole Sunday at home alone, thinking that at least doing the ironing, lighting some candles and putting the oven on would be a good substitute for central heating.

For my next trick I may go and bubble wrap some windows.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10816562
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Joke not- we did that on a UK house with a cold bathroom! Thanks for the reminder though as I think it would be ideal for my ensuite. I've used the film stuff in the kids' rooms where you hairdryer it taught.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

..... I would never have spent a whole Sunday at home alone, thinking that at least doing the ironing, lighting some candles and putting the oven on would be a good substitute for central heating.

It's catching on in Australia too, apparently it also reduces condensation quite a bit.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Feeling a bit stir crazy right now , so here you have it.

Only affording one holiday, offshore, in 8 years and that was for a week.

Can't go anywhere much here because of the costs of
1 - flights
2 - fuel
3 - accom

oh - & spare cash to do the above.

Spare me the posts about all the stuff the usual posts are all about. I've been here a while now. I'm entitled to feel I need a bit of something else, somewhere else... sometimes.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:55 am
---

I'd be going mental. I have perpetual wanderlust and a short attention span, so it's either exploring new places or moving to them. BEVS, is there any way you and your DH could do a house swap in Oz for a few months for a change of scene? My chum is house swapping in Cairns at the mo and has done Brissie too, but with Kiwi passports and no kids you could do a long one. Or is that the usual sort of totally unhelpful post?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

1 - flights
2 - fuel
3 - accom

Spare me the posts about all the stuff the usual posts are all about. I've been here a while now. I'm entitled to feel I need a bit of something else, somewhere else... sometimes.
Know how you feel, last holiday we had onshore or off was our reccie in February 2005!!! Something we didn't really expect
Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

1 - flights
2 - fuel
3 - accom

When I win lotto I shall be sending you wherever you want to go
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:05 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Had a close encounter with a whitetail

Warning: arachnophobes-DO NOT READ!!!

Was having a lovely relaxing bath yesterday, reading an article in the newspaper supplement. I see movement and look up to see 2 then 3 then 4 big legs clambering over the top of the newspaper followed by a head and body [and more legs]. Have never moved so fast, the paper got thrown to the other side of the room. After looking at the paper for a few moments and making sure 'it' wasn't in the bath or on the floor, I carefully got out of the bath and shook the paper. Out dropped a whitetail with a big fat body and thick legs- only the second one I've ever seen and one of the biggest spiders I've seen over here, seriously it was huge

It has now been removed and is in safe storage in a bag in the wheelie bin-it cannot escape from there
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Had a close encounter with a whitetail

Warning: arachnophobes-DO NOT READ!!!

Was having a lovely relaxing bath yesterday, reading an article in the newspaper supplement. I see movement and look up to see 2 then 3 then 4 big legs clambering over the top of the newspaper followed by a head and body [and more legs]. Have never moved so fast, the paper got thrown to the other side of the room. After looking at the paper for a few moments and making sure 'it' wasn't in the bath or on the floor, I carefully got out of the bath and shook the paper. Out dropped a whitetail with a big fat body and thick legs- only the second one I've ever seen and one of the biggest spiders I've seen over here, seriously it was huge

It has now been removed and is in safe storage in a bag in the wheelie bin-it cannot escape from there
Was the spider frightened too

You're too kind, it would have been squished by me
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting posts on health issues,
GP says I am suffering from Virus (unidentified).
I can run 6k's no problem, do a day's physical work no probs,
swim a dozen lengths no probs.
bend over, immediately breathless.
only other symptom is tired, even knowing that I have just had 8 hrs of solid sleep including me REM!
welcome to NZ.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

I image myself like of one of those for Mash get Smash aliens -laughing hysterically to myself. Our place puts hyperlinks to Memos on the intranet too, so you then have to wade through a memo to find the attached form that you want and then have to print and Fax it, somewhere.

They would no doubt be stunned to find that a lot of the latest all singing and all dancing, multi-function printing and scanning devices have long since done away with the Fax option.
I work for...well one of the largest employers in Auckland.....before I came along, when we had notes that needed sending to my boss to review, we were photocopying them all (this could be around 100 sheets) and I was like, can't we just scan and email it?!? Oh what a good idea they said! They also do similar things with faxing and emailing etc etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.