Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you thought you`d never do

Things you thought you`d never do

Old May 15th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you thought you`d never do

Hi,
What have you done since arriving in New Zealand that you would never have imagined doing before. Or things that you have seen that you didn`t expect (keep it clean!!)
I`ve got a few but i`ll start with something i didn`t really care about in the UK but have grown an interest in here. Nature. The fact that i have often seen dolphins and especially Orka Whales from my deck. In fact a few months ago i heard the Orkas before i saw them, because of their breathing through their blow holes. There where 2 adults and 2 babies (all though i wouldn`t want them sitting on my lap) and the babies where playing. It bought a tear to my eye to be so close to something so close(i used to be a big tuff builder you know!!!!!)
Oh and while i`m in touch with nature. The birds. I think they are called Rozzillas or Rossillas. Anyway, they are like a parrot but much more colour.
Over to you guys.
Ash
Old May 15th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you thought you`d never do

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi,
What have you done since arriving in New Zealand that you would never have imagined doing before. Or things that you have seen that you didn`t expect (keep it clean!!)
Ash
See parakeets in my back garden (thought that was Oz). Have such a wonderful home in a perfect neighbourhood. Work for a council. Have a house for a week on a perfect beach on the pacific coast (Waimarama). See my son play the piano. See my kids live such an unbelievable carefree awesome life. For Kate to have the sooooooooo perfect career in nursing. To own a pool. To lose $100k hard cash. To be so content. To do the Maori Ora course. To have become a cleaner, again. To enjoy being a full time, stop at home dad with no job at all these days. Kate doing her masters in nursing.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Walk ona beach in late autumn wearing shorts and a tee!
Old May 15th 2010, 5:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Share our section with naughty wilful ducks & have ducklings.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I just asked me bloke this one.

He immediately said "see dead hairy black pigs on the back of a ute " We see this reasonably often.

Also fire a gun & do a tandem sky dive. Tho' I don't get the tandem skydive bit coz that was always on the cards in my mind once he hit the big '50' no matter where we were. That's why I insure him . .

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:33 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

oh gosh! So many things!
live on a farm, have a garden, own chickens, have highland cows as pets, learn how to fix farm fences, drive a tractor whenever I want, learn to surf, have a spa in the back garden, have palm trees, see parrots flying around, swim with dolphins off the back of our own boat, watch chickens hatching
"see dead hairy black pigs on the back of a ute "
totally! first time I saw one of these I thought someone had one of those bearskin type rugs on the back of their car! then I saw the tusks
live so rurally, be applying for a gun license,

take our own boat out fishing ( and never catch any fish) and all of the above - this is from lloyd
Old May 15th 2010, 6:37 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Put on extra layers of clothing/wrap up in a blanket instead of turning on the heat pump or fire cos I'm concerned about how expensive that would be.

Oh and regret every negative comment I ever made about the NHS ($200 to get my daughter treatment for her eczema made me cringe every time I had to do it - around every 4 months)!
Old May 15th 2010, 6:44 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Or more positively - swim with dolphins in open water, take a tramping trip on a glacier, see penguins up close in their natural habitate (and not on a tourist excursion, just sitting on a public beach at sunset), and never thought I'd see the day when my 70something mother would fly half way round the world on her own - first time she'd ever been outside the UK!
Old May 15th 2010, 8:19 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a wuss so the things that seem really cool to me may seem very banal to other people - please accept that my adrenalin rush is probably akin to a sky dive with a normal person

Went up in the gondola a Queenstown - big thing was I didn't know what a gondola was before I said I'd go and thought that my legs would be hanging loose so I was actually twice as brave as I needed to be

I climbed up the big rock (no idea what it's called) in Sumner . I feel an idiot for saying this cos it really wasn't THAT big but my friend said she wouldn't do it so I feel that was a bit brave.

I stopped smoking last July.

I make virtual tours and voiceovers for houses for sale.

I've been writing, something I used to do all the time when I was a lot younger and I've joined a writer's group and I'm feeling really good about it

Fishing. Hubby bought me a fishing rod for Christmas - not something I'd ever really expected to enjoy - but I do!

I've been in a little boat in a storm; I've been on a dirt road in the Corromandel in a storm, I've been to Tonga on the shortest commercial flight in the world and I have been to ME (you may need to be of a certain age to appreciate that).

At the risk of sounding like I'm off my trolley, I think the finding of ME has been the biggest thing. I've gone through a few months of trauma (for want of a better word). Stopping smoking triggered menopause and I was like a deranged being for a while but drugs are good and I'm feeling great now

I've always thought that New Zealand makes me braver and this post just goes to show how really really wussy I am
Old May 15th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Do
Watch a Rugby Union match
Take part, through work, in a mihi whakatau and perform a hongi
Coach kids' football
Go horse riding
Change and get jobs so often

See
Six foot kids in school uniforms driving cars
A volcano
My son perform a haka
Seemingly mentally stable people walk barefoot in a town centre (actually, saw that in Oz too)
Not see, but experience an earthquake
Old May 15th 2010, 8:33 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Share our section with naughty wilful ducks & have ducklings.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww how cute I so want ducks when we get there!

Dewb
Old May 15th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Kayak down the Waikato, and bathe in the hot springs feeding into the river.

Cool down on a hot summer's day by paddling in that same river just half a mile from my house.

Best holiday meal - fish and chips for the whole family in one parcel unwrapped on a picnic bench.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Walk round 2.5 acres of garden weedkilling all our paths with Round Up on Christmas Eve, and getting sunburned in the process

Jan
Old May 16th 2010, 6:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Walk a half-marathon.
Bathe in hot salt water pools.
Go kayaking.
Go camping.
Have a mud bath.
Own a house with a pool.
Own a house near the beach.
See kiwi birds.
Laugh at Pukekos on a daily basis.
Do kids sports every Saturday morning at stupid o'clock.
Have a son who races go-karts at National events.
Play netball again.
Grow vegetables, well try to.
Swim in the Pacific on Christmas day.
Whale watch.
Watch a whale get rescued and re-floated at the beach across the road from my house.

I'm sure there are more ...
Old May 16th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Be invited onto a multi million dollar launch and catch the biggest kingfish i have ever seen. (Never fished in England)
Go regular kayak fishing with my 12 year old son.
Go zorbing
Do the luge at Taupo
Go skiing at Taupo
Visit an active volcano (in the afore mentioned launch) and stay there anchored for 3 days....awesome.
Play football again
Play with my kids and laugh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.